By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you expect Sega Saturn games to come to NS Online are licenses the problem and self publishing?

Excellent question! No.

If Sega decides to emulate Saturn games, do it on all platforms. Don't just do it for Switch.

Also, 3rd party games are always a possibility. I mean the Playstation store has had plenty of Capcom games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

No. SEGA is contempt remaking a few first-party games. 3rd parties are porting Saturn games to Switch. Mostly Shmups.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Its one of the harder systems to emulate. I would love it if they did as It's one of the few consoles I don't think I have ever played a game on it. I never owned it nor did any of my friends.

rapsuperstar31 said:

Its one of the harder systems to emulate. I would love it if they did as It's one of the few consoles I don't think I have ever played a game on it. I never owned it nor did any of my friends.

At this point, Saturn emulation has gotten quite good. I think virtually every Saturn game can be played at this point. People are even making English patches for notable Japan only games.

A few Saturn games have been ported, but none relying on emulation.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

No. Genesis/Mega Drive is Sega's bread and butter from back in the day so I suppose it makes sense to have the games available. I don't see Saturn or Dreamcast happening because they're harder to emulate.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Yes. Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. But in the distant future. I hate NSO, but it seems to go wild with different hardware emulations. 

I get it that if Sega were to ever start re-releasing its Saturn and DC library, that it would probably make sense to have official releases of some of the games before it coming to a service like NSO. I mean, I am sure that they could sell a re-release of Panzar Dragoon Saga at $50.00 MSRP without any major rework and probably sell at least 10-20k units. I just wish that they would start this process because these games are starting to fade into history.

You know, retro games have a shelf life. Most people in 2021 are not going to find enjoyment playing a game like the original Phantasy Star which is currently being offered from Sega on NSO. Even gamers who might have played this title in the 80's would probably have trouble going back to it because RPG's in those days required such a large investment in time and effort compared to today in order to experience the payoff and reward. I know because I am one of the very few people who still play these types of games. You can get into them, but it takes more time that most people are willing to commit with our modern attention spans. Let's not even mention that instruction manuals in those days were basically essential to get through the game and that is not coming with your NSO subscription (I believe). That said, a game like Skies of Arcadia still would play really well for most gamers in 2021: it has a smooth difficulty curve, and it feels a lot more like a modern RPG than Phantasy Star (the only addition it might need are save states because I remember some of the dungeons requiring about an hour of gameplay between save points at times, but I think that should be default on NSO).

And I am not trying to be hard on Phantasy Star, it is an amazing series but it's just only going to appeal to a very niche audience who probably already owns the game on 10 different platforms. Instead, why not release Phantasy Star Online? It would be perfect for the NSO and why not bring back online play? This would be a huge hit, in my opinion.

I wish that we could move beyond the 8 & 16 bit era being the default game library for release on these online shops/platforms. This made sense in the Wii days on the virtual console back in 2008, but an equivalent retro title today, 13 years later would put us firmly in the N64/Dreamcast/Gamecube eras.

Wman1996 said:

No. Genesis/Mega Drive is Sega's bread and butter from back in the day so I suppose it makes sense to have the games available. I don't see Saturn or Dreamcast happening because they're harder to emulate.

I don't know about the Dreamcast but there is a game that runs on a Saturn emulator for the Switch now, and modders managed to put any Saturn game to run on the Switch based on this emulator

SKMBlake said:
Wman1996 said:

I don't know about the Dreamcast but there is a game that runs on a Saturn emulator for the Switch now, and modders managed to put any Saturn game to run on the Switch based on this emulator

Switch has some DC ports already. DC isn't hard to emulate at all.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

dx11332sega said:

Also , it wouldn't make sense to port a major Quality game like Panzer Dragoon Saga in it , why? Because square Enix didn't port Chrono Trigger in Nintendo Switch Online nor SNES Classic if square said no chrono trigger for SNES online why should Sega port their hidden trump card if their ever in the red finacially like Panzer Dragoon Saga so a remake is better option I hope Square enix does a modern remake of Chrono trigger their trump AAAA game that is never on Nintendo Switch online? That's their biggest money maker comeback of a remake and on all platforms.

Yeah, we're pretty much not going to see any major third party RPG or basically anything that is worthy of remaking or releasing seperately hit NSO, especially if it's past the 16-bit era. Look at what Square Enix just did with ActRaiser.

We got Chrono Trigger on the Wii VC at a time when publishers hadn't yet collectively figured out that they can make more profit with remaking or porting beloved classics and selling them on their own as opposed to dropping them on VC or subscription services. That just ain't happening now. The vast majority of the third party content you'll see on the NSO are titles that the publisher doesn't have faith or desire to remake, port or throw in a compilation as a SKU.

That being said, I would be perfectly fine if SE never attempts a modern remake of Chrono Trigger, and if and when the day comes when Sega gets its head out of its ass and realizes that people would pay good money for easy access to Panzer Dragoon Saga and Skies of Arcadia, I hope they hand the remaking/porting duties off to someone else that knows how to take care of it.