By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you expect Sega Saturn games to come to NS Online are licenses the problem and self publishing?

Leynos said:
SKMBlake said:

I don't know about the Dreamcast but there is a game that runs on a Saturn emulator for the Switch now, and modders managed to put any Saturn game to run on the Switch based on this emulator

Switch has some DC ports already. DC isn't hard to emulate at all.

It has some emulated Saturn ports too, like Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute. Saturn games are absolutely not out of the question.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Leynos said:

Switch has some DC ports already. DC isn't hard to emulate at all.

It has some emulated Saturn ports too, like Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute. Saturn games are absolutely not out of the question.

Yeah I own it. Problem is that has severe input lag. That is the game with the full Saturn emulator in it tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't expect Saturn or Dreamcast until the anniversary. Nintendo will need to secure some new stuff for the Premium online service right around the end of the initial service to get people to resubscribe. But, what I'd like to see are some more premium SNES games like Chrono Trigger and Terranigma come to the service. From Dreamcast, give me Skies of Arcadia. 
Monolithsoft can work out deals with Square and Namco to get Xenogears and Xenosaga on the service too. Maybe trickle those throughout the year to try and seal the deal with more customers. But what I'll really be looking for to get me to resubscribe is something big this time next year.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 19 October 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I don't expect Saturn or Dreamcast until the anniversary. Nintendo will need to secure some new stuff for the Premium online service right around the end of the initial service to get people to resubscribe. But, what I'd like to see are some more premium SNES games like Chrono Trigger and Terranigma come to the service. From Dreamcast, give me Skies of Arcadia. 
Monolithsoft can work out deals with Square and Namco to get Xenogears and Xenosaga on the service too. Maybe trickle those throughout the year to try and seal the deal with more customers. But what I'll really be looking for to get me to resubscribe is something big this time next year.

Chrono Trigger is definitely too big to come to the service. Squeenix would at the very least prefer to sell it individually as a standalone port, if not remake/remaster it. Third party publishers, and even Nintendo, have realized that it's more profitable to remake/release certain older games and have you pay more for them individually instead of dumping them on a subscription service.

Look at what SE did with the SaGa series:

• The first three games in the series were released as COLLECTION OF SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND (to be fair, GB games aren't available on the NSO service as of now)
  • It put Romancing SaGa 2 and RS3 on the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles in Japan, but they never touched the NSO service; instead they were released as their own standalone games that you can buy from the eShop.
  • SaGa Frontier was a PlayStation game with a remastered port on modern systems

And there's also the standalone releases of the Dragon Quest games on NES that are not on the NSO in any region.

The things we're going to see coming to NSO are the games that publishers don't see an opportunity to port over as a remaster, remake or put in a compilation in the foreseeable future.

It would be cool but I doubt it. I think we'll just see GB and GBA get added and that'll be the complete system list. Between NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, GB, and GBA that's a very solid lineup and they just need to build out a large library for all those. Of course if they added something like Master System, Saturn, or TG-16 that wouldn't hurt. Though I think Dreamcast would be the best thing to add as DC games are a lot more popular than games from those other systems.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Jumpin said:

Chrono Trigger is definitely too big to come to the service. Squeenix would at the very least prefer to sell it individually as a standalone port, if not remake/remaster it. Third party publishers, and even Nintendo, have realized that it's more profitable to remake/release certain older games and have you pay more for them individually instead of dumping them on a subscription service.

• The first three games in the series were released as COLLECTION OF SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND (to be fair, GB games aren't available on the NSO service as of now)
  • It put Romancing SaGa 2 and RS3 on the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles in Japan, but they never touched the NSO service; instead they were released as their own standalone games that you can buy from the eShop.

And there's also the standalone releases of the Dragon Quest games on NES that are not on the NSO in any region.

The things we're going to see coming to NSO are the games that publishers don't see an opportunity to port over as a remaster, remake or put in a compilation in the foreseeable future.

Do you have any official statement of this, or are you just guessing based on the fact that no Square games have yet come out? If they see the value in getting Square games on their service, then they’ll get them. They got Square games on the classic mini after all, so it’s not out of the question at all that they’ll make future sales agreements with Nintendo.

Either way, for me to want to resubscribe, Nintendo is going to have to get some great premium games. Examples I can think of are Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Skies of Arcadia, or Monolithsoft games and others on their service by the one year mark.

Jumpin said:
burninmylight said:

Do you have any official statement of this, or are you just guessing based on the fact that no Square games have yet come out? If they see the value in getting Square games on their service, then they’ll get them. They got Square games on the classic mini after all, so it’s not out of the question at all that they’ll make future sales agreements with Nintendo.

Either way, for me to want to resubscribe, Nintendo is going to have to get some great premium games. Examples I can think of are Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Skies of Arcadia, or Monolithsoft games and others on their service by the one year mark.

Of course I don't have an official statement, otherwise I'd provide it. But it's clear that I'm not "just guessing" either. It's not just Square either. What major Konami games have come out on NSO? You won't find a single Castlevania outside of Bloodlines from the upcoming Genesis expansion. Why? Because Konami would rather you buy the collections. Same thing with Capcom's Mega Man and Street Fighter 2. It threw us a bone with Ghost 'n Goblins even though GnG Resurrection is a thing, but I wouldn't call that a "major" IP.

To say that I'm just guessing is to say that someone is just guessing the sky is blue after taking a good, long look at it.

I hope SEGA gets Atlus to give us HD ports of the other PS2 SMT games. Also hoping for a Persona collection of games 1-4 in HD on all modern platforms.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

burninmylight said:
Jumpin said:

Of course I don't have an official statement, otherwise I'd provide it. But it's clear that I'm not "just guessing" either. It's not just Square either. What major Konami games have come out on NSO? You won't find a single Castlevania outside of Bloodlines from the upcoming Genesis expansion. Why? Because Konami would rather you buy the collections. Same thing with Capcom's Mega Man and Street Fighter 2. It threw us a bone with Ghost 'n Goblins even though GnG Resurrection is a thing, but I wouldn't call that a "major" IP.

To say that I'm just guessing is to say that someone is just guessing the sky is blue after taking a good, long look at it.

Listen, I appreciate your perspective, but I don’t find it persuasive. 

All you’ve argued is “They’re not there yet on this brand new service, and some other games by them are already out on the EShop.” Even if true, neither point is solid evidence that Square games can’t come out on the NSO service in the future. 

You didn’t respond to either counter-point I made:
1. if Nintendo works out a deal for the games, they will come.
2. They already worked out a deal with Square for games on the classic mini.

You just repeated your argument, added even flimsier and less relevant supporting examples in the form “here are some other companies that released games on the EShop.” And instead of accepting fault of having no statements from Square themselves, you just didn’t care instead adding: “it’s like guessing the sky is blue after looking at it,” a statement which holds precisely zero relevance to what we’re talking about, but says a lot about your conviction.

To point out why I don’t accept your evidence: Sega didn’t have Mega Drive games on the NSO prior to the announcement of NSO+. Sega also had many of those games on the EShop already. Yet, here they are on the NSO+ service!

The “sky is blue” and refusal to even acknowledge counter-points part of the argument only establishes that you’re dogmatic about your convictions, and have no interest in coming to a rational conclusion. I’ll also point out, that if I did look out the window for a long time, I wouldn’t say “I see a blue sky.” From my perspective, it’s been night for hours.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 23 October 2021

Jumpin said:
burninmylight said:

Listen, I appreciate your perspective, but I don’t find it persuasive. 

All you’ve argued is “They’re not there yet on this brand new service, and some other games by them are already out on the EShop.” Even if true, neither point is solid evidence that Square games can’t come out on the NSO service in the future. 

You didn’t respond to either counter-point I made:
1. if Nintendo works out a deal for the games, they will come.
2. They already worked out a deal with Square for games on the classic mini.

You just repeated your argument, added even flimsier and less relevant supporting examples in the form “here are some other companies that released games on the EShop.” And instead of accepting fault of having no statements from Square themselves, you just didn’t care instead adding: “it’s like guessing the sky is blue after looking at it,” a statement which holds precisely zero relevance to what we’re talking about, but says a lot about your conviction.

To point out why I don’t accept your evidence: Sega didn’t have Mega Drive games on the NSO prior to the announcement of NSO+. Sega also had many of those games on the EShop already. Yet, here they are on the NSO+ service!

The “sky is blue” and refusal to even acknowledge counter-points part of the argument only establishes that you’re dogmatic about your convictions, and have no interest in coming to a rational conclusion. I’ll also point out, that if I did look out the window for a long time, I wouldn’t say “I see a blue sky.” From my perspective, it’s been night for hours.

And all you've managed to do is claim that the obvious isn't true because an official source hasn't confirmed it, even though you yourself haven't provided any examples of popular games that have come to NSO despite being available on Switch in some shape, form or fashion already outside of those coming to the Genesis/MD service. And in response to that, of course Nintendo is going to insist many of the big name Genesis games come to the NSO despite already being on the eShop if it supposedly paid a hefty licensing fee to get Genesis games on there in the first place. Which sounds more marketable, Sonic 2 and Gunstar Heroes, or Ballz and Lester the Unlikely?

"1. if Nintendo works out a deal for the games, they will come."

Yes, if a console vendor moneyhats a third-party publisher for games, then the games will come. Do you really need me to explain this? If Nintendo ponies up the cash to have SE, Konami, Capcom and so on allow it to port games already on the eShop to the NSO, then yes, they will come. Explain to me why Nintendo hasn't already done this with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter, Castlevania, Contra or any of the games you're waiting for, despite NES and SNES games being available on NSO for years now. Has it just not had time to get around to those highly appealing heavy hitters just yet?

"2. They already worked out a deal with Square for games on the classic mini."

I fail to see what this has to do with NSO, but I will humor you regardless. It's not some monumental event for Nintendo and SE to work out a deal for licensing, but the NES/SNES mini consoles are mutually exclusive from the NSO. The former are one-time releases of SKUs only available in limited quantity and in a physical form. The latter is a subscription service on a console that could possibly cause games to compete with themselves elsewhere on the same console, and SE would prefer that customers buy their individual releases.

I'm not the one being dogmatic and irrational here. I think the person whose logical standing is, "Nintendo and third parties never said it won't happen, so it COULD happen" despite all sound evidence pointing otherwise is the more stubborn one here.

"You just repeated your argument, added even flimsier and less relevant supporting examples in the form “here are some other companies that released games on the EShop.”"

I'm sorry, but can you explain to me why my supporting examples are "flimsy and less relevant", even though you're bringing up the mini consoles like they have any bearing on NSO? Are those other NES and SNES games not also popular and beloved classics that would lend great value to the NSO service? Are you saying that they aren't worth Nintendo moneyhatting for, but the specific games you want on the service are, like you're the gatekeeper of what does and does not deserve Nintendo's licensing money?

I've given you plenty of specific examples already:B-tier RPGs from Square Enix, A-tier RPGs from Square Enix, and IPs that would make any "Top NES/SNES Games" list that are missing from NSO yet available on the eShop. All you've done is give me a few examples of Genesis games on the Genesis/MD Classics that are coming to a new tier of the service and to tell me that I'm irrational because I don't have an official statement, and SE games have been on Nintendo consoles in the past so that has to be relevant for the future. Ad hominem attacks are one of the first signs that a person has nothing better to back up their case.

If it makes you feel better, then I'll correct my position on the matter to say: yes, it technically COULD happen that beloved classics that haven't made it to the eShop like Chrono Trigger come to the NSO, but it is pretty unlikely given the mountains of evidence that publishers would rather release games like that on their own.