By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Metroid fan's brief thoughts on Dread (totally unbiased)

What did you think about Dread?

Loved it! 24 61.54%

It was great! 7 17.95%

'Twas good. 3 7.69%

Okay. 1 2.56%

I mean, not really? 1 2.56%

Nope! 0 0%

ITS AWFUL I HATE IT NOT WORTH 60 BUX 3 7.69%

Total:39
Doctor_MG said:

The game is really awesome, and I have very few complaints. The combat is slick, Samus moves very fluid, E.M.M.I. sections are appropriately thrilling, a ton of enemy variety and bosses are very well done.

Right! Forgot to mention the EMMI sections. They're definitely a highlight for me. I was actually always excited (and nervous) to enter an EMMI zone.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

That game is amazing! Like others have already said, I like how it guides you organically without force. The basic route through the game is very well thought out, I really like the bosses and the story. And those animations are so wonderfully fluid. I love how badass Samus is this time. My only complaint is the low music volume.

Speaking of music, I really enjoy the Artaria, Cataris and Burenia themes. And I soooo much appreciate that they reduced the amount of old songs with new remixes to a minimum. I love the classic tracks, don't get me wrong, but listening to new stuff gives this game an own identity.

I felt this throughout the game. I loved the way it guides you in subtle ways. Like, after acquiring a certain item, you'll find yourself close to an elevator or teleportal that leads you in the general direction of where you need to go next. This is, for the most part, done without the need to lock any doors, or have Adam directly tell you where to go and how to get there.

I like it, but there are some annoyances that keep it from the top list of Metroid games imo.

I'm playing it now but work and home life really cut into my play time. I got it at launch and I've only logged in a couple of hours.

Metroid has always been a sentimental favorite of mine but after playing such epics as Hollow Knight and the two Ori games, I worry if the Metroid series still has what it takes or of it needs a revamp. I'm hoping and praying that it reaches the highs of those series before the credits roll.

And, to avoid spoilers, I'm skipping all posts until I beat the game. Twitter already ruined a big surprise for me.

AllfatherStarr said:

I think I am about 3/4ths through so no end game spoilers pls. As far as 2D Metroids go, it plays the best, hands down, in no small part because it feels like a crystallization of all the good aspects of previous games while eliminating all the bad and mediocre stuff . However, ever since 2018, whenever I play a Metroidvania ( which is my favorite genre by far) , I find myself comparing it to Hollow Knight, and they all come short, as does Dread. The world interconnectivity is nowhere close to as organic as I would like, and the fast travel system is not great.

Hollow Knight eclipses Ori?  Wowza!  guess I had better purchase it after all, cause Ori was absolutely fantastic.  Blew me away.

Around the Network
Kwaidd said:
AllfatherStarr said:

I think I am about 3/4ths through so no end game spoilers pls. As far as 2D Metroids go, it plays the best, hands down, in no small part because it feels like a crystallization of all the good aspects of previous games while eliminating all the bad and mediocre stuff . However, ever since 2018, whenever I play a Metroidvania ( which is my favorite genre by far) , I find myself comparing it to Hollow Knight, and they all come short, as does Dread. The world interconnectivity is nowhere close to as organic as I would like, and the fast travel system is not great.

Hollow Knight eclipses Ori?  Wowza!  guess I had better purchase it after all, cause Ori was absolutely fantastic.  Blew me away.

different strokes for everyone I guess But I personally loved both Ori games and do not like Hollow Knight got the game due to its praise and was disappointed

Kwaidd said:
AllfatherStarr said:

Both are great, but Hollow Knight have better fights, a more extensive map with things to discover/collect and is more challenging overall 

mZuzek said:

I think before playing Dread, I could rank the Metroid games in tiers, something like

tier 1: Super, Prime
tier 2: Fusion, Echoes
tier 3: Corruption, Samus Returns, Zero Mission
tier 4: the other ones

I was hoping, if not expecting, Dread to make it at least somewhere in between tiers 2 and 3 on that. After playing it, I'm not sure whether it falls between tier 1 and 2, or within tier 1 entirely. It blew me away.

I feel the same way. Dread exceeded my already high expectations. I wanted to give it a bit more time before I make any solid decision, but if I had to rank it now, it would definitely be in tier 1. Not sure about surpassing Prime and Super, as i'll need a bit more time to let it all digest. Your tier list isn't too different from mine, really. The only thing is, I would probably flip Fusion and Corruption's placements.

mZuzek said:

I think before playing Dread, I could rank the Metroid games in tiers, something like

tier 1: Super, Prime
tier 2: Fusion, Echoes
tier 3: Corruption, Samus Returns, Zero Mission
tier 4: the other ones

I was hoping, if not expecting, Dread to make it at least somewhere in between tiers 2 and 3 on that. After playing it, I'm not sure whether it falls between tier 1 and 2, or within tier 1 entirely. It blew me away.

It definitely is tier 1, with Super still on top (will replay it again soon to make sure it still holds up after Dread happened), closely followed by Dread, which is in turn very closely followed by Prime.

Pure personal preference.

Prime 1

Metroid NES

Dread

Corruption

Super Metroid

Zero Mission

Fusion

Samus Returns

Return of Samus

Very much enjoyed all of those.

Now for the GARBAGE ranked in order of putrid smell.

Federation Force

Other M

Hunters

Prime 2

Those 4 are real stinkers.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!