By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Metroid fan's brief thoughts on Dread (totally unbiased)

What did you think about Dread?

Loved it! 24 61.54%

It was great! 7 17.95%

'Twas good. 3 7.69%

Okay. 1 2.56%

I mean, not really? 1 2.56%

Nope! 0 0%

ITS AWFUL I HATE IT NOT WORTH 60 BUX 3 7.69%

Total:39
Leynos said:

Pure personal preference.

Prime 1

Metroid NES

Dread

Corruption

Super Metroid

Zero Mission

Fusion

Samus Returns

Return of Samus

Very much enjoyed all of those.

Now for the GARBAGE ranked in order of putrid smell.

Federation Force

Other M

Hunters

Prime 2

Those 4 are real stinkers.

Bold: For real? Why?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Leynos said:

Pure personal preference.

Prime 1

Metroid NES

Dread

Corruption

Super Metroid

Zero Mission

Fusion

Samus Returns

Return of Samus

Very much enjoyed all of those.

Now for the GARBAGE ranked in order of putrid smell.

Federation Force

Other M

Hunters

Prime 2

Those 4 are real stinkers.

Bold: For real? Why?

Shitty tacked on multiplayer that has no business in a Metroid game and I hated the light/dark world thing. Nintendo kept recycling that idea and was tired of it. I also hate the idea of limited ammo in Metroid. Missles are one thing but the rest. I hate it. Felt the levels were far less cohesive.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kwaidd said:
AllfatherStarr said:

I think I am about 3/4ths through so no end game spoilers pls. As far as 2D Metroids go, it plays the best, hands down, in no small part because it feels like a crystallization of all the good aspects of previous games while eliminating all the bad and mediocre stuff . However, ever since 2018, whenever I play a Metroidvania ( which is my favorite genre by far) , I find myself comparing it to Hollow Knight, and they all come short, as does Dread. The world interconnectivity is nowhere close to as organic as I would like, and the fast travel system is not great.

Hollow Knight eclipses Ori?  Wowza!  guess I had better purchase it after all, cause Ori was absolutely fantastic.  Blew me away.

Purely as a Metroidvania exemplar? Absolutely HK trumps the Ori games for me. Overall as a game , it is somewhat more subjective. While I personally prefer HK, Ori probably does have better platforming, and more approachable storytelling.  

Playing Metroid Dread is like watching Michael Jordan come back in 1995. You know it's the best. You're glad it's back. But... It's not championship material.

I'm enjoying it but there are just other games that have taken what 2D Metroid has perfected and refined it even, uh..perfecter (?). At this point, maybe 30% in, I think I was enjoying Samus Returns more.

It won't be the first time a game kinda let me down in the beginning only to blow me away later on. I'm hoping!

AllfatherStarr said:
Kwaidd said:

Hollow Knight eclipses Ori?  Wowza!  guess I had better purchase it after all, cause Ori was absolutely fantastic.  Blew me away.

Purely as a Metroidvania exemplar? Absolutely HK trumps the Ori games for me. Overall as a game , it is somewhat more subjective. While I personally prefer HK, Ori probably does have better platforming, and more approachable storytelling.  

I'd say Monsterboy Cursed Kingdom is better than both

Last edited by Leynos - on 15 October 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I'm playing it now but work and home life really cut into my play time. I got it at launch and I've only logged in a couple of hours.

Metroid has always been a sentimental favorite of mine but after playing such epics as Hollow Knight and the two Ori games, I worry if the Metroid series still has what it takes or of it needs a revamp. I'm hoping and praying that it reaches the highs of those series before the credits roll.

And, to avoid spoilers, I'm skipping all posts until I beat the game. Twitter already ruined a big surprise for me.

Yes Samus is your Mother

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

d21lewis said:

Playing Metroid Dread is like watching Michael Jordan come back in 1995. You know it's the best. You're glad it's back. But... It's not championship material.

I'm enjoying it but there are just other games that have taken what 2D Metroid has perfected and refined it even, uh..perfecter (?). At this point, maybe 30% in, I think I was enjoying Samus Returns more.

It won't be the first time a game kinda let me down in the beginning only to blow me away later on. I'm hoping!

Keep playing. I was ambivalent at first as well. Then it opened up and gets much better. The bosses are especially a highlight.

mZuzek said:

I think before playing Dread, I could rank the Metroid games in tiers, something like

tier 1: Super, Prime
tier 2: Fusion, Echoes
tier 3: Corruption, Samus Returns, Zero Mission
tier 4: the other ones

I was hoping, if not expecting, Dread to make it at least somewhere in between tiers 2 and 3 on that. After playing it, I'm not sure whether it falls between tier 1 and 2, or within tier 1 entirely. It blew me away.

My take is extremely similar. I played through the game over the launch weekend (you know I cleared my schedule). After letting it sit with me for several days, I've reached the conclusion that this is my official ranking of the Metroids:

1) Super Metroid
2) Metroid Prime
3) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
4) Metroid Dread
5) Metroid Fusion
6) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
7) Metroid: Samus Returns
8) Metroid: Zero Mission

Those are what I consider the good entries in this franchise; the ones I'm known to still replay. The original versions of the first two Metroid games I don't really go back to anymore now that we have superior remakes and I just never liked Other M or Federation Force. Metroid Prime Hunters is okay, but I really dislike using the touch screen for everything.

Anyway, concerning Dread, I agree with essentially everything said in the OP. More than any other game in the franchise, Dread makes me feel just plain awesome with its fluid, high-speed, and heavily stylized movement, cinematic camera, breadth of moves and upgrades, and a level of challenge that makes one feel genuinely accomplished quite often. The boss fights were more complex than we're used to from this franchise and that was a particular highlight of my experience, as was the game's mind-blowing ending! The EMMI made for a pretty fun hook too overall, I thought. The soundtrack has highlights for sure, but overall is far from my favorite in the series. All in all, Dread really does feel like the grand finale that it's intended to be and I loved it! I think that's the best way to design games; with the expectation that each entry will be the last. If you're planning on sequels from the outset, you'll probably try and "save the best for last", but if you assume each entry is the last, you'll make each one special. Not unlike Super Metroid before it, I believe that's the place this game comes from. It was meant to be something special and it is.

Still, at the end of the day, Dread didn't really tug at my heart strings quite as much as Super Metroid and that's the deciding factor in that contest for me. It's super close between this and the first couple Prime games, but after trying out Prime 1 again this week, I must say music makes the difference.

Corruption fares slightly worse than the first two Prime games in my book because it reverts essentially to being a straightforward shooter rather than an adventure-shooter, which I consider to be a somewhat conservative change of direction intended to bring the Prime games in line with the more mainstream FPS's of its time rather than retaining the full Metroid identity. Fusion ranks in slightly higher for being innovative in ways I'd consider a bit more clever and fresh, and which ultimately made Dread possible, moreover. But yeah, for my taste it's just tough to beat the regular, more heavily exploration-driven classics like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. They've struck such a perfect balance between player freedom, style, heart, and motivating subtle tension that I almost feel like any deviation is bound to be at least a little inferior.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 16 October 2021

Jaicee said:
mZuzek said:

I think before playing Dread, I could rank the Metroid games in tiers, something like

tier 1: Super, Prime
tier 2: Fusion, Echoes
tier 3: Corruption, Samus Returns, Zero Mission
tier 4: the other ones

I was hoping, if not expecting, Dread to make it at least somewhere in between tiers 2 and 3 on that. After playing it, I'm not sure whether it falls between tier 1 and 2, or within tier 1 entirely. It blew me away.

My take is extremely similar. I played through the game over the launch weekend (you know I cleared my schedule). After letting it sit with me for several days, I've reached the conclusion that this is my official ranking of the Metroids:

1) Super Metroid
2) Metroid Prime
3) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
4) Metroid Dread
5) Metroid Fusion
6) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
7) Metroid: Samus Returns
8) Metroid: Zero Mission

Seeing your guys' Metroid lists makes me want to make mine.

Okay, here we go. It's been a few days since I beat dread, so I think i'm ready. My top 10 Metroid games:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Super Metroid
3. Metroid Dread
4. Metroid Prime 2
5. Metroid Prime 3
6. Metroid: Zero Mission
7. Metroid: Fusion
8. Metroid: Samus Returns
9. Metroid: Other M
10. Metroid Prime Hunters

Honestly, I MAY actually like Dread more than Super, but i'll need to play the latter again to make absolutely sure.

Ultravolt said:

Seeing your guys' Metroid lists makes me want to make mine.

Okay, here we go. It's been a few days since I beat dread, so I think i'm ready. My top 10 Metroid games:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Super Metroid
3. Metroid Dread
4. Metroid Prime 2
5. Metroid Prime 3
6. Metroid: Zero Mission
7. Metroid: Fusion
8. Metroid: Samus Returns
9. Metroid: Other M
10. Metroid Prime Hunters

Honestly, I MAY actually like Dread more than Super, but i'll need to play the latter again to make absolutely sure.

My list would be the same as yours except for switching the places of Zero Mission and Fusion, i like the gameplay of Zero Mission a lot, but for me it was that game the one that started the whole "Zero Suit" bullshit and trying to find excuses to make samus "weak because she is too powerful" in a gameplay way that storywise turned in a kinda inconsistent representation, Samus becoming a complete good for nothing useless voluptuous blonde without the armor, and the other change i would make with respect to your list would be sending Other M to the last place because gameplawise it was too plain, removed all the good exploration for expansions and took the character inconsistencies to eleven, practically killing the character and her games for eleven years.