Voice of Cards 22 2.31%

Something Else/Nothing This Month 78 8.18%

Total:953

2 for me here. Dread and Back 4 Blood.

steve

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
Shaunodon said:

90% of votes will be for Metroid Dread so I don't think it matters too much.

That said, I'd probably vote for Voice of Cards as I quite liked the demo and it's the one I'm most likely to buy soon. Maybe in lieu of Demon Slayer? Not sure how much interest there is for that game here.

huh? As much as I love my Switch, how would any gamer prefer that 2D side scroller over stuff like Far Cry 6 and Age of empires 4? Or even Guardians of the Galaxy?

There's a lot of history that goes behind Metroid Dread, and calling it a 2D side scroller is a bit reductionist.  

It's like calling God of War a beat 'em up or hack-n-slash.  Most people would think you're misrepresenting the series by giving it that as its defining genre. 

Metroid Dread!! Can't wait to play it!!

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
victor83fernandes said:

huh? As much as I love my Switch, how would any gamer prefer that 2D side scroller over stuff like Far Cry 6 and Age of empires 4? Or even Guardians of the Galaxy?

This is one of the worst comments I've ever read on this site. Even putting aside the fact you're talking about Dread, how are you just going to disregard 2D side scrollers as a whole like that?

If it was something original and new like Ori, then I'd be dying to play it, but metroid is the same side scroller we already had several times, nothing too special, the one on the 3ds I didn't even finish as it got repetitive and tiring after a few hours.

I never said its not a good game, never dismissed it at all. Just compared to the other games, I'd rather play the others, we need more strategy games and age of empires 4 I've been waiting for decades. Guardians of the galaxy also looks to be a great new experience, something new.

Now if this was metroid prime 4 then my mind would change completely.

Bristow9091 said:
victor83fernandes said:

Maybe because, despite what you may think, not all gamers are the same and some of us actually enjoy 2D sidescroller games more than copy/pasted open world FPS games in a stale franchise or RTS games? Gameplay > Graphics, and considering we're talking about games, I feel that should always come first.

I would believe that if gamers on switch were excited for the newest Ori game, which is way more original and new than metroid. Apparently this excitement for metroid must be nostalgia. I will be playing metroid anyway as I get it for free on launch day, being portable is all the better as I can play it at work

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
victor83fernandes said:

Others have beaten me to it, but I'm a gamer, and I do not see 2D games as any less than 3D games. Dread easily looks like the best game from the list. The atmosphere looks potent, the gameplay looks tight, and overall it looks like a wonderful return to form for one of gaming's most revered franchises.

So you're saying its better than if we had metroid prime 4 then? OK but it doesn't look any different than the 3ds metroid, which I played, seems to be exactly the same, even the mechanics, metroid prime 4 would have been something new as the last one was on Wii.

Also I never said I don't like 2d scrollers, you guys have poor reading comprehension, in fact, Ori might be in my top 3 games of all time, and I've played games since the NES.

victor83fernandes said:
curl-6 said:

Others have beaten me to it, but I'm a gamer, and I do not see 2D games as any less than 3D games. Dread easily looks like the best game from the list. The atmosphere looks potent, the gameplay looks tight, and overall it looks like a wonderful return to form for one of gaming's most revered franchises.

So you're saying its better than if we had metroid prime 4 then? OK but it doesn't look any different than the 3ds metroid, which I played, seems to be exactly the same, even the mechanics, metroid prime 4 would have been something new as the last one was on Wii.

Also I never said I don't like 2d scrollers, you guys have poor reading comprehension, in fact, Ori might be in my top 3 games of all time, and I've played games since the NES.

Do you even read the things you write? I'm unsure how to even respond to this level of flagrant contradiction. More importantly, I'm not sure why anyone would even want to try and reason with someone this deliberately obtuse.

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 30 September 2021

Victor83fernandes, first off, no one else in here is calling people out for liking a certain game. You have basically thrown down the gauntlet to the overwhelming number of people responding to this poll that are most excited to play this game.

And you’re using a remake of a subpar (because it first came out on the game boy) Metroid game by a studio new to the franchise as the basis for your argument.

That’s where your support for this position really falls apart. Metroid Dread is the first new game in the 2D Metroid series in 19 years. It is the conclusion of a saga that began on the NES. It looks amazing, and it features what seems to be a very frightening AI program to basically hunt you.

The hunter becomes the hunted.

My best advice really would be just to like whatever game(s) you like and not call out this bunch for being obviously excited, and no, not just by nostalgia, but by the obvious high level of entertainment this title promises to offer.

But I have a feeling that you do get a rush from being contrary in this moment and that you’ll enjoy all the pushback you get, and that’s what makes forums work so well. So stick with it. I hope you enjoy your strategy game. I love all kinds of games, and even the most banal or repetitive or nostalgic I wouldn’t begrudge someone being excited for. It is their gaming tastes after all.

victor83fernandes said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

This is one of the worst comments I've ever read on this site. Even putting aside the fact you're talking about Dread, how are you just going to disregard 2D side scrollers as a whole like that?

If it was something original and new like Ori, then I'd be dying to play it, but metroid is the same side scroller we already had several times, nothing too special, the one on the 3ds I didn't even finish as it got repetitive and tiring after a few hours.

I never said its not a good game, never dismissed it at all. Just compared to the other games, I'd rather play the others, we need more strategy games and age of empires 4 I've been waiting for decades. Guardians of the galaxy also looks to be a great new experience, something new.

Now if this was metroid prime 4 then my mind would change completely.

You basically threw out any originality arguments when you said Metroid Prime 4 would change your mind completely. That game could be more original than Dread, but we have no way of knowing. You even talk about preferring Far Cry 6 - a sequel in one of the most derivative series of all time - to Dread. So it has nothing to do with originality. It absolutely IS a genre thing, as stated in your original post. Which is just ridiculous. 

The original Ori isn't even that good of a game, nor that original of a game. A lot of its originality comes from a mechanic you don't get till very far in the game. Aside from that the most original thing about it is that its combat is worse than basically any other popular Metroidvania. 

The sequel, which I have not played, has seem to split its community right down the middle between "more Ori with refinements is always better" and "more Ori with refinements doesn't equal something as magical as the originality of the first game", neither of which particularly speaks to the sequel being revolutionary.

The point of all this isn't that liking non-original games is bad. It's the opposite. Most games, even if they are new IP, are not original. And it's ok to like them. 

I'm also not sure why you say "I would believe that if gamers on switch were excited for the newest Ori game, which is way more original and new than metroid", you do realize that the "newest Ori game", came out on Switch a year ago, got a 93 on Metacritic, and in general Ori is more popular (maybe not just on Switch - but that's what a lack of exclusivity does to a game, it doesn't consolidate sales) than 2D Metroid ... right? 

victor83fernandes said:
curl-6 said:

No, I neither said nor implied any such thing. For the record, I personally would have been more excited for Prime 4, but that's because of how much I adored Prime 1-3, not because it's 3D and Dread is 2D.

It looks a lot better than Samus Returns to me, from the greater emphasis on mobility via the slide and being able to counter on the run, to the introduction of the EMMI sections, (which remind me quite a bit of the excellent Alien Isolation) to the fact it's a fresh new game and the conclusion to the Metroid story arc rather than a remake.