By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does it seem that unhyped Wii games become 1 mil sellers?

MontanaHatchet said:
Yeah like uhh, uhh, Carnival Games, and that other one, uhh, what was its name?

Have people that bring up Carnival Games actually played it?

I rented it when visiting a friend one weekend and we had a lot of fun competing for hours on end.  I prolly wouldn't buy it, but it was def fun for a weekend of competition

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network
daactualfact said:

Why is it that hyped up ps360 games like Army of Two, Burnout, or maybe Valkyria chronicles sell under expectations but totally unhyped Wii games easily sneak to large numbers without anyone noticing?

I want opinions.

Really? I didn't think this game has much hype at all really. It seems to have less hype than Zack and Wiki (and even less press). If people think Valkyria Chronicles has hype, then I guess Im doing my job. 

And secondly, the game isn't released!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing. There are many Wii games shunned by the gaming community, even in certain Wii message boards (eg. the one in GameFAQs), but they still reached 1 mill worldwide.

If anything those so called "gaming communities" should have a demographic change. If something really went over 1 mill, they should at least give credit for the good aspects.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

outlawauron said:
daactualfact said:

Why is it that hyped up ps360 games like Army of Two, Burnout, or maybe Valkyria chronicles sell under expectations but totally unhyped Wii games easily sneak to large numbers without anyone noticing?

I want opinions.

Really? I didn't think this game has much hype at all really. It seems to have less hype than Zack and Wiki (and even less press). If people think Valkyria Chronicles has hype, then I guess Im doing my job.

And secondly, the game isn't released!

Are you serious? People have been claiming that this game is going to raise PS3 sales by a notable margin. A niche title from Sega.

Then again, people said the same thing about Yakuza 3. 

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I blame the huge casual base of the Wii ... unfortunatly because of them some games that would deserve to bomb sell over 500k or even more :(

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

First for every unhyped Wii game that is a million seller there are a couple ones that do not sell anything. The number of third-party million sellers is fairly comparable to PS3 and lower than 360 and its very dominated by party games.

In the end the Wii just has the biggest userbase by far. (Besides Wii games are a fair bit cheaper)

What games are you talking about on there? If you say all the Nintendo 1st party games are almost guaranteed, remove Mario/Sonic b/c it's Sega but still Mario, and the 2 Resident Evil games and Guitar Hero which are no-brainer sellers, it leaves you with like 4 games.

Carnival Games, Red Steel, Rayman x2, and Lego Star Wars.

Carnival Games is random, and has been covered above.

Red Stell was the only real shooter, and early adopters wanted to try a shooter on the console. Rayman was early mini game - sequel sells on name alone. Lego Star Wars has sold every platform, so why not here?

And then you have the Sims, which has sold forever too.

I don't see what's so random about the million sellers here.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

I don't see what's so random about the million sellers here.

Especially when games like Heavenly Sword become million sellers. I mean I really enjoyed this game but it wasn't that good.

I think people underestimate the buying power of 'Social Gamers' ...

One of the first groups of people who bought into the Wii are gamers who play console games primarily with other people; many of these gamers will have a large library of games bought mainly because of how much fun they're to play in a multiplayer environment. A game like Carnival Games or Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 may not be all that special, but these gamers may buy these games because they're looking to have a lot of variety to keep the experience fun ...

I thought every Wii game was expected to sell one million copies minimum.