By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does it seem that unhyped Wii games become 1 mil sellers?

Between Saturday, and Sunday, I've bought: Okami(Wii), Enchanted Arms(360), Earth Defense Force 2017(360), Ratatoulie (Wii), Endless Ocean (Wii), and Obscure: Aftermath (Wii).

I like variety. Many other gamers do too. Some of the games that sell well on the Wii are crap. Some are awesome. Many are games that cannot be found anywhere else. Carnival Games may turn off some of us, but it's a experience that can be executed only on the Wii. The PS3/360 definitely have the established genres, and I will definitely pick up my share of "Heavy Hitters" in the next few months, but it's new experiences that make me spend money.

Around the Network

The more games, the bigger the user base, the bigger the income, the more games you get the more users you get.

Like someone above said "There's always a new user ready to pick it up."

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

ClaudeLv250 said:
outlawauron said:
daactualfact said:

Why is it that hyped up ps360 games like Army of Two, Burnout, or maybe Valkyria chronicles sell under expectations but totally unhyped Wii games easily sneak to large numbers without anyone noticing?

I want opinions.

Really? I didn't think this game has much hype at all really. It seems to have less hype than Zack and Wiki (and even less press). If people think Valkyria Chronicles has hype, then I guess Im doing my job.

And secondly, the game isn't released!

Are you serious? People have been claiming that this game is going to raise PS3 sales by a notable margin. A niche title from Sega.

Then again, people said the same thing about Yakuza 3. 

Yes I am being serious. Could you give examples of these boisterous claims (outside of leo or CrazzyMan), because I haven't seen any.

I'll be impressed if hardware rises above 15k and this game does more than 125k lifetime.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

cause the Wii is a Virus.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

outlawauron said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
outlawauron said:
daactualfact said:

Why is it that hyped up ps360 games like Army of Two, Burnout, or maybe Valkyria chronicles sell under expectations but totally unhyped Wii games easily sneak to large numbers without anyone noticing?

I want opinions.

Really? I didn't think this game has much hype at all really. It seems to have less hype than Zack and Wiki (and even less press). If people think Valkyria Chronicles has hype, then I guess Im doing my job.

Are you serious? People have been claiming that this game is going to raise PS3 sales by a notable margin. A niche title from Sega.

Yes I am being serious. Could you give examples of these boisterous claims (outside of leo or CrazzyMan), because I haven't seen any.

I'll be impressed if hardware rises above 15k and this game does more than 125k lifetime.

Strategy RPGs have never been especially popular like action RPGs and traditional RPGs have been.  Valkyria Chronicles will do well considering the game's niche status

Around the Network

cause the wii games are actually good.

ClaudeLv250 said:
outlawauron said:
daactualfact said:

I want opinions.

Links?

I've never seen either one of these games get hyped.  Matter of fact, I haven't really even heard about Valkyria Chronicles.

Like outlawrun said, please link me to some posts aside from Leo-j/Crazzyman that say that these games were going to raise PS3 sales by a notable margin.

Speaking of Sega, I can link you to a thread where two or three posters had stated that NiGHTS would be a million seller.  Another 'niche' title from Sega.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=963

Nights was niche?

I haven't heard of anyone liking it.

I bought it to understand the concept in it's creation.

It seems like a sonic the hedgehog game but instead of speed it's flying.

I don't know what I expect from the game but it wasn't fun in the end, it damn sure wasn't fun in the end.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dib8rman said:
Nights was niche?

I haven't heard of anyone liking it.

I bought it to understand the concept in it's creation.

It seems like a sonic the hedgehog game but instead of speed it's flying.

I don't know what I expect from the game but it wasn't fun in the end, it damn sure wasn't fun in the end.

I didn't call it 'niche'

But people who defended the numbers did... but that excuse goes around lots when a game looks like it wont, or doesn't sell.

@_@

beacuse only about 5% know/care anything about hyped games

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints