By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Subscription Debate

How much would you spend a year for all previous gens?

$60 or less 27 71.05%

$60 or more 6 15.79%

$120 or more 3 7.89%

$180 or more 1 2.63%

$240 or more 0 0%

$300 or more 1 2.63%

Total:38

I don't want to pay a subscription to play my games.

Give them to me on physical media (I.E. Provide an option for everyone!) and I will be happy.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Make playing games online free (well you pay for the game). They can charge a $1000 bucks for any other service if they want. Charging for online is asinine. Started by xbox and then adopted by others.

To make it short.

I felt that the general concensus in 2018 basically was 'It isn't great but it is only 20$ and they will NEs Snes games frequently'. The number of games went slowly up and everytime you felt like complaining they would add something the tetris battle royale. At this point adding the N64 games made sense, what doesn't is that they will ask extra money for it ofcourse we don't know how much yet but the games added will be probably slow again.

It feels they could make more money with an higher service price but at the same adding so much more to the service. They would make more money and gamers would overall be happier but they don't feels so out of touch.

green_sky said:

Make playing games online free (well you pay for the game). They can charge a $1000 bucks for any other service if they want. Charging for online is asinine. Started by xbox and then adopted by others.

Technically with DC. 

So when other companies like Sony are giving you current gen games every month for your online subscription... With those prices, I am only gonna get old games?

No thanks... Especially compared to a subscription like Gamepass...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

So when other companies like Sony are giving you current gen games every month for your online subscription... With those prices, I am only gonna get old games?

As I pointed out in the OP, Nintendo probably wouldn't put brand new games from current gen devices on something like this. But that doesn't mean there isn't value in it. NSO is entirely focused on old content, some of which hasn't been easily available before. Gamepass is almost entirely about newer content, which is great if all you want to play is stuff that came out in the last 5-ish years (they have older things, but not much). Don't get me wrong, I love Gamepass, but I really wish I could play those series in chronological order. Nintendo has the other problem, plenty of the old stuff but none of the new stuff. If you as a gamer don't value games that aren't current gen, then I could see a subscription like this not being worth it. But if you love old school games, or playing things in chronological order, then something like what Nintendo is offering is more appealing than Gamepass.

I don't really know much about Sony's subscription. Is it old content-focused, like Nintendo Online, or new content focused, like Gamepass, or a bit of both?

Ka-pi96 said:

Subscriptions are a rip off. I'd rather just buy the games I want as and when I want them. MUCH cheaper that way.

I made a thread on this a while back I think. At the time, and this was many months ago, I had saved already $$$ on using Gamepass versus buying games. I have no idea how you could possibly save money by buying games over subscriptions, unless you only ever buy games when they are like 85% (so no Nintendo games lol). I've saved over $1000 easily since subscribing to Gamepass. And 99% of video games I play I'm done with after beating so I don't need to own them to go back to them one day, they would simply sit on a hard drive or collect dust until said hardware went dead or I got rid of stuff.

Found it

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=244647&page=1#1

Looks like I've saved $886 so far, so a little less than what my post said, my bad. Still, it has saved me a ton of money, and I've got other games in the queue waiting to play once I get through ones I'm on.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 25 September 2021

Dulfite said:
Captain_Yuri said:

As I pointed out in the OP, Nintendo probably wouldn't put brand new games from current gen devices on something like this. But that doesn't mean there isn't value in it. NSO is entirely focused on old content, some of which hasn't been easily available before. Gamepass is almost entirely about newer content, which is great if all you want to play is stuff that came out in the last 5-ish years (they have older things, but not much). Don't get me wrong, I love Gamepass, but I really wish I could play those series in chronological order. Nintendo has the other problem, plenty of the old stuff but none of the new stuff. If you as a gamer don't value games that aren't current gen, then I could see a subscription like this not being worth it. But if you love old school games, or playing things in chronological order, then something like what Nintendo is offering is more appealing than Gamepass.

I don't really know much about Sony's subscription. Is it old content-focused, like Nintendo Online, or new content focused, like Gamepass, or a bit of both?

Don't need brand new games but would rather have current gen games that are a couple years old. Sony's PS+ gives you PS+ collection which is a selection of PS4 games and also gives you 2-3 games every month. So as an example, if you have a PS5 and PS+, you get games that are developed for the PS5 (Sometimes PS4 BC). Sometimes they are very new and sometimes, they are a few years old. It's also a mix of first and third party games but you have to redeem the game with in the month they appear otherwise it won't be in your library.

I like my old school games but not to that degree. There's value sure but imo, this is a much worse value than what Sony/MS is giving. (Going by those prices that is as we don't know the actual prices)

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 25 September 2021

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Dulfite said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Subscriptions are a rip off. I'd rather just buy the games I want as and when I want them. MUCH cheaper that way.

I made a thread on this a while back I think. At the time, and this was many months ago, I had saved already $$$ on using Gamepass versus buying games. I have no idea how you could possibly save money by buying games over subscriptions, unless you only ever buy games when they are like 85% (so no Nintendo games lol). I've saved over $1000 easily since subscribing to Gamepass. And 99% of video games I play I'm done with after beating so I don't need to own them to go back to them one day, they would simply sit on a hard drive or collect dust until said hardware went dead or I got rid of stuff.

Found it

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=244647&page=1#1

Looks like I've saved $886 so far, so a little less than what my post said, my bad. Still, it has saved me a ton of money, and I've got other games in the queue waiting to play once I get through ones I'm on.

I think the question is how much games you want are on subscritpion service vs how many games you want to purchase. In my case, 90% of the games I've played in the last 4 years were either current last or at least gen gen immediately before, meaning they regardless of the number of older games in subscription service I would still need to pay for almost everything I wanted to play 

If you can enjoy many games on Switch Online, then the service is for you. But the only games I wanted on Switch Online I've already beaten (Yoshi Island, Mario World, Donkey Kong 2 and 3 and Super Metroid), meaning now my subscription keep going and I still have nothing new to play 

Subscription are good because the content keep growing, that's why Disney Plys, HBO Max, Amazon Prime all release new things. Old catalog that isn't growing isn't an attractive. 

Honestly I don't even know why I pay for online gaming with Nintendo. I'll try to play more nes and SNES games this year but I think I'm done with paying for online gaming. Most service I use to play against or with friends online is Steam and it's free.