By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Subscription Debate

How much would you spend a year for all previous gens?

$60 or less 27 71.05%

$60 or more 6 15.79%

$120 or more 3 7.89%

$180 or more 1 2.63%

$240 or more 0 0%

$300 or more 1 2.63%

Total:38

I'm honestly just glad it is an option and they aren't just raising the price and saying here are a small handful N64 / Sega bandaid's for your wound.

What I absolutely hate is how they handle their digital content from a multi-user household perspective. The whole family likes Splatoon. After spending $1200 so everyone has a Switch we will likely spend $240 on 4 copies of Splatoon3 when it comes out so we can all play Splatfests together. That is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on just one game. I wish they operated it in lockstep digitally like they do the online family plan. I pay a little more but I can have 8-9 memberships under that umbrella and take care of the whole family that way with essentially one purchase. I'd even pay $100 for a sharable digital version of the game if I could share it with say 4 members that are in my online family group.

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
Zippy6 said:

If Nintendo had their own version of gamepass that included all their games and select third parties (obviously less third parties than possible on xbox) then I'd be willing to pay $120/year.

For previous generations only, no more than $60/year. That's assuming it includes all of their previous generation content WiiU and prior, not just the drips Nintendo want to feed.

That's crazy, I could buy 4 or 5 second hand games per year for that price and I would own those games forever. You'd be willing to pay 120per year to own your games? That's like 6000 dollars for the next 50 years, it sounds crazy to me.

How is that considered crazy? $6000 over 50 years is a coin in the bucket compared to a 50 year budget for our lives. Plus, used games sales don't give developers (who are increasingly overworked and underpaid due to game price MSRP not matching inflation whatsoever) better pay and benefits. Not to get all forum-warrior here, because I absolutely am not about that kind of mindset, but I do sympathize with workers being fairly compensated, and buying used games isn't helping. Even buying a heavily discounted game brand new is better than a used copy, I would just feel too guilty to buy used. And I suspect most gamers (not casual ones) spend plenty more than $120 a year on games. On Gamepass alone over the past year I've played more than $1000-worth of games, and I've bought quite a bit on Switch in that time-span as well as PC games not available on Gamepass. 

Just looked it up and the average American gamer spends $216 a year. I would much rather spend money on a subscription where I get access to many more games than $216 would enable me to access if I bought single games and not have to deal with the inconvenience of dying hardware, hardware becoming outdated, controller issues, etc. Subscriptions are more convenient than purchases, and are cheaper than purchases unless you spend way less than the average American consumer a year.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 28 September 2021

victor83fernandes said:
JWeinCom said:

I honestly don't care. What bothers me is that there's no option for people who just want to buy certain games, which has already existed since the Wii. There's no logical reason, aside from Nintendo making money, to lock that content behind Nintendo online.

Plenty options for free

Xbox

PC

Laptop

Phones

Tablets

Switch hacked

etc

Of course there's logical reason if you understand anything about business. If you put games for lets say 5 dollars you might get some sales, but if you force people to pay for a subscription then they will keep paying month after month after month, and they they will need to keep paying forever if they want to keep their games, but here's the trick, make online cheap to build a consumer base, and then raise the prices, consumer has 2 choices, pay more in the future or lose all their games.

"I honestly don't care. What bothers me is that there's no option for people who just want to buy certain games, which has already existed since the Wii. There's no logical reason, aside from Nintendo making money, to lock that content behind Nintendo online."

Might want to read more carefully before being condescending.

IcaroRibeiro said:
JackHandy said:

I once offered to buy a random kid a Gamecube on a message board back in early 2002, simply because he wanted one but was too poor to afford it. In the end, he never said yes, but the offer was valid so yeah... I have no issues helping other people out when I can.

What are you wanting, but can'f afford? Or was that all sarcasm? lol

Sarcasm, but you seems a nice guy so I will try to be nice too

Old systems that are not Playstation are incredibly rare in Brazil, many of their games were never released here. All games I've played from GameCube I've played on emulators. Unfortunately your solution would require to be american or japanese to work. Indeed in Japan this is a surprisingly cheap option, as second hand market for older system is titanic. I think the only older systems that are affordable here are DS, 3DS and Wii

Yeah, in your particular case, I suppose you'd have to be fairly wealthy in order to pursue the actual consoles. I've long heard horror stories about trying to buy consoles and games in Brazil due to their extraordinarily high price tags and it's a real shame imo. A lot of really good people down there who deserve better.

victor83fernandes said:
Zippy6 said:

If Nintendo had their own version of gamepass that included all their games and select third parties (obviously less third parties than possible on xbox) then I'd be willing to pay $120/year.

For previous generations only, no more than $60/year. That's assuming it includes all of their previous generation content WiiU and prior, not just the drips Nintendo want to feed.

That's crazy, I could buy 4 or 5 second hand games per year for that price and I would own those games forever. You'd be willing to pay 120per year to own your games? That's like 6000 dollars for the next 50 years, it sounds crazy to me.

I don't care about "owning games forever" I play games and finish them. Theirs very few games I go back and play again. $120 a year for every Nintendo game day one + some third party is fine by me.

I'm all about rental, I rented Ratchet & Clank on PS4 day one, platinumed it in a week and then sent it back. Instead of paying £40 it cost me about £4. These subscription services are just another type of rental.