By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Favorite Mario Kart game?

Favorite Mario Kart?

Super Mario Kart 4 6.78%

Mario Kart 64 8 13.56%

Mario Kart Super Circuit 0 0%

Mario Kart Double Dash 4 6.78%

Mario Kart DS 3 5.08%

Mario Kart Wii 5 8.47%

Mario Kart 7 1 1.69%

Mario Kart 8/ Deluxe 34 57.63%

Total:59

What is your guys favorite Mario Kart game? I wanna know

Imma give my thoughts on each MK game:

Super Mario Kart: To me, Super Mario Kart is one of the worst in the series. While I understand it's an old game and it's difficult to compare it to the newer entries. This game shows its age and it just isn't as fun to play as other Mario karts. The tracks are difficult to look at graphically, difficult controls and feel very slippery, the items don't feel like they affect the game much making it feel more like a basic kart racer than a Mario kart game, which is huge cause items are what make Mario kart stand out so much. Plus it doesn't help that literally half the entire screen is taken up by a useless map of the track. The tracks are short and unmemorable too since they all feel the same but with just a different color pallet. Plus it's only limited to 2 players when MK is typically best experienced with 3-4 players. As harsh as I am being to a 30-year-old game tho, I still think it somewhat enjoyable to play, but nowadays when there are Mario Kart games that exponentially exceed what Super Mario Kart ever has done, it's hard to return to Super Mario Kart for anything outside of nostalgia purposes.

Mario Kart 64: This game was pretty good and a huge step up from Super MK for me. I think if I were to give someone an example of what classic and basic Mario kart is about, I'd show them 64. MK 64 doesn't do anything really remarkable but it's still a fun MK game. This is when the series jumped into true 3D, items actually had a big effect, 4 players was a possibility, the tracks were actually big and memorable. I'll say this Mario kart is mid-tier. Not anything remarkable but doesn't fall short of what Mario Kart really is in any way. I wish this game was 60FPS though since it feels odd to play an MK game at anything less than 60FPS. 

Mario Kart Super Circuit: This is the only Mario Kart I have never played. However, from what I hear it seems very similar to super Mario kart, which I didn't enjoy too much. So i'd say it may be the worst one in the series.

Mario Kart Double Dash: I only played double dash once at a friends house so I don't have much experience with this game either, but this game really seems like a true step up for the Mario kart series. Good track design, two items at once that offer a strategic way to win, good character roster, and more. This Mario Kart seems top tier.

Mario Kart DS: I also don't have a ton of memories of this game since I've never owned it and played it only a couple of times when I was really young. However, this could legitimately be argued as the greatest Mario kart. The fact they introduced online play with this entry on the 2005 DS is amazing, great course selection, and a mission mode which was amazing and baffles me why Nintendo never brought it back in future entries. Battle mode was fun and download play made it easy for multiplayer since only one MK DS game was needed to play locally.

Mario Kart Wii: Tbh I think this is another good Mario kart. Introduced 12 racers which I enjoyed, motorcycles, and it has good track design. However, it's a bit disappointing the graphics haven't improved since double dash and imo double dash's brighter artstyle made it look better than Wii.

Imma review the rest later

Around the Network

For as much nostalgia that I have for Wii, probably still has my favorite tracks, MK8 Deluxe is undoubtedly the best one in rly every aspect

Mario Kart 8.

It's the most balanced, has the best handling model, the highest production values, and the most content.

8 Maybe the best in the series but for Nostalgia Super Mario Kart is my fave.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

8 without question. I played the hell out of it on The WiiU and then did it all over again on the Switch. There is such a great flow to the game that it’s almost trancelike sometimes. That’s something that I never felt with the other games. Maybe it’s just because I never put in as much time as I did with 8.

Around the Network

8, followed by Double Dash. Fan of the entire series, but those 2 are the ones I had the most fun with.

My favorite is DS mainly because of the mission mode. It was the closest thing we've had to having a campaign mode for Mario Kart. There were boss fights, challenges, and everything. It was a blast.

mZuzek said:

From the ones I played...

Super sucks
64 is okay
DS is fine
Wii is... passable I guess
7 is fine
8 is very good
8 Deluxe is a downgrade but still good

Okay, that's a new one. How is 8 Deluxe a downgrade? Is this just because things are unlocked to start because that's the ONLY thing I can see how it is "worse" and even that's such a small thing.

Easily MK DS. First one to introduce online, the track selection is among my favourites of the series, Mission Mode was awesome and it has the best Battle Mode stages by far. I also loved sneaking ^^

Played them all, and unquestionably to me MK8 is the best, so it gets my vote.