By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Favorite Mario Kart game?

Favorite Mario Kart?

Super Mario Kart 4 6.78%

Mario Kart 64 8 13.56%

Mario Kart Super Circuit 0 0%

Mario Kart Double Dash 4 6.78%

Mario Kart DS 3 5.08%

Mario Kart Wii 5 8.47%

Mario Kart 7 1 1.69%

Mario Kart 8/ Deluxe 34 57.63%

Total:59

1. Mario Kart 8
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Mario Kart DS
4. Mario Kart 7
5. Mario Kart Double Dash
6. Mario Kart 64
7. Mario Kart Super Circuit
8. Super Mario Kart

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:
S.Peelman said:

(..)

This!

Also, imo Mk64 had the best kart handling and hands-down the best tracks. Even those mk64 tracks included in later entries seemed to be lacking some of the complexities of the originals. DK jungle parkway and Banshee boardwalk are 2 of the greatest mk tracks in history IMO. Even now, my favourite 2 tracks on mk8D are royal raceway and Yoshi valley.

Yes, and you can pretty much this to my post post.

Royal Raceway on MK8 is great indeed. Funny though, aren’t Banshee Boardwalk and DK Jungle Parkway like the only ones from 64 that were never remade in a newer Mario Kart? Oh and Wario Stadium at least as well.

The impact of items and especially shells was way better in MK64, but 12 cars and 2 item slots are a bit too much items in MK8D.

Double Dash had a weird steering and the contact with walls in MK Wii was.... special.

S.Peelman said:
peachbuggy said:

This!

Also, imo Mk64 had the best kart handling and hands-down the best tracks. Even those mk64 tracks included in later entries seemed to be lacking some of the complexities of the originals. DK jungle parkway and Banshee boardwalk are 2 of the greatest mk tracks in history IMO. Even now, my favourite 2 tracks on mk8D are royal raceway and Yoshi valley.

Yes, and you can pretty much this to my post post.

Royal Raceway on MK8 is great indeed. Funny though, aren’t Banshee Boardwalk and DK Jungle Parkway like the only ones from 64 that were never remade in a newer Mario Kart? Oh and Wario Stadium at least as well.

Yes, i think you are right and Wario stadium is 1 of my all-time favourites too. We were really spoilt for choice with MK64 tracks, not a single bad one iirc, even Mario circuit was epic.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Anyone else not surprised by the result in the poll? It does seem, though, like quite a few would have liked the OG 8 and the DX 8 split up. Wonder what that result would have looked like. I’m glad 8DX is different as it was a fresh experience, which is nice considering that they didn’t add any racing tracks. I also think the HD resolution made 200cc much more playable.

Around the Network

As someone who didn't grow up with it and didn't play it til much later, I just couldn't get into MK64, the handling felt like trying to control a roomba with a fridge on top of it and it wasn't as vibrant as other entries with its more muddy colour palette. The mix of 2D sprite characters with 3D environments was also jarring and incongruous.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 September 2021

I vote for the original because it's my personal favorite, but also because no blue shell. Death to the blue shell!

curl-6 said:

As someone who didn't grow up with it and didn't play it til much later, I just couldn't get into MK64, the handling felt like trying to control a roomba with a fridge on top of it and it wasn't as vibrant as other entries with its more muddy colour palette. The mix of 2D sprite characters with 3D environments was also jarring and incongruous.

I can agree with 3D/sprite mix. Even back then I thought that looked kind of weird, especially when there’s a view in an angle they didn’t have a sprite for in the correct perspective, like at the award ceremony. I guess they just couldn’t do it fully in 3D yet, though Diddy Kong Racing managed to do it not that long after. Only a very minor nuisance to me however.

Also, “incongruous”; they say you’ll learn something new every day, so I guess this word is it for me today.