By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Matrix Resurrections - Official Trailer (2021) Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss

S.Peelman said:

Coincidentally I watched the original trilogy not long ago after many years. As I remembered, the first is mindblowing. Way, way ahead of it’s time. Even if I saw it a couple times in the past already I was still on the edge of my seat and uttered the equivalent of “w.. t.. f..” when it was over. However, also as I remembered, the sequels were pretty terrible with a plot that doesn’t make sense and at the end even contradicts the rest of the series.

After watching this trailer I’m not really expecting anything great, but I’ll watch it anyways out of curiosity. I’m not sure what happened with Laurence Fishburne, but I’ll wait for the explanation before passing judgement on that. He’ll be missed in any case. So will Hugo Weaving, but obviously he can’t be back.

Laurence Fishburne himself already said he wasn't going to be in the movie as far back as the 2019 announcement. He just said that Lana Wachowski never reached out to him to be in the new movie and didn't know why. 

It's theorized that it's because Morpheus appears to be dead. The Wachowski's said the continuation of The Matrix story was going to be through the video game, The Matrix Online that released in 2005 and shutdown in 2009. There's a storyline where Morpheus is killed in the matrix, and if what Lana said about the continuing narrative through the game is true, then the movie is a sequel to the The Matrix Online rather than Revolutions, and therefore Morpheus is dead.

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 09 September 2021

Around the Network

Personally I didnt hate the trailer. I do like that its a soft reboot/sequel kinda thing, or at least thats the vibe im getting, because I do feel thats exactly what this franchise needed seeing how the last 2 movies went. A lot of the themes dont hold up well so the change in tone is a very good idea IMO. That said im not particularly hyped either, the trailer does give me a weird vibe because its very different from what I've expected, which is both good and bad, so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Why did they make another one? The sequels sucked and they wrapped it up.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

S.Peelman said:

Coincidentally I watched the original trilogy not long ago after many years. As I remembered, the first is mindblowing. Way, way ahead of it’s time. Even if I saw it a couple times in the past already I was still on the edge of my seat and uttered the equivalent of “w.. t.. f..” when it was over. However, also as I remembered, the sequels were pretty terrible with a plot that doesn’t make sense and at the end even contradicts the rest of the series.

After watching this trailer I’m not really expecting anything great, but I’ll watch it anyways out of curiosity. I’m not sure what happened with Laurence Fishburne, but I’ll wait for the explanation before passing judgement on that. He’ll be missed in any case. So will Hugo Weaving, but obviously he can’t be back.

Dark City> Matrix 1

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

shikamaru317 said:

How in the heck did I never realize that Jeri Hogarth in the Netflix Marvel series was played by the same actress as Trinity until I saw this trailer today? lmao

That's pretty bad, but when looking up a familiar face in this trailer I was amazed to realize that the lead in one of my favorite shows (Jonathan Groff in Mindhunter) was also King George in Hamilton. That's some range, lol.

Around the Network

If it's "because he died in the MMO", of which I had forgotten the very existence of by the way, then that would be dumb, because no one actually knows about the MMO, and even less care about it. Besides, if you can write Trinity back into it, you can write Morpheus back into it as well. This is going to bite them.

TruckOSaurus said:

I'm ambivalent. I hated both sequels but I still like the universe created by the Wachowskis. I might give this a shot.

Same here. I felt Matrix 3, especially, was unbearably stupid with the over-heavy action sequences... Of course, I watched each film on its own.

Later on I watched them all back to back and it makes A LOT more sense from a pacing, plotting, and character standpoint. I'm a fan of the three films now. I think, as well, after all the super hero flicks that are like twice as bad when it comes to mindless overlong action scenes, might make the 2nd and 2rd Matrix feel more reasonable.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Hiku said:

I suppose this could be a prequel as well, since the year inside the Matrix isn't indicative of the time period outside.
It could be that the machines tried the 2020's era before the original trilogy, and it didn't work out for whatever reason. So they tried the early 2000's instead after that. Whichever period people adapted better to/were happier in.

Although in that case that probably means that this Neo wouldn't get as attached to Trinity.

Slight correction, 1999 is the year the Matrix simulation takes place.

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

hmm, getting strong The Force Awakens vibes from it. ie. it looks like a remake pretending to be a sequel. Not a good sign.

To be fair, a remake sequel is basically what the Matrix trilogy set up. The trilogy revealed that The Matrix was a cycle, there were 5 previous iterations of the Matrix and 5 previous "One's", what made Neo different from the previous "One's" is that his love was focused on a single person, Trinity, instead of on humanity as a whole, he chose to save her in Matrix Reloaded instead of doing what the other 5 "One's" had done, choosing survivors to repopulate Zion while the Matrix was reset. Then in Matrix Revolution we saw Neo negotiate a truce with the machines, killing Agent Smith, who wants to destroy both the real world and the Matrix, in exchange for leaving humanity alone. Neo succeeds in defeating Agent Smith by allowing himself to be assimilated so that the Machines can use him as a connection to delete Agent Smith. Then Neo falls due to his injuries and is carried away by the machines, and The Matrix is reset, with a final scene showing the Architect and the Oracle in a park, where we learn that the machines are holding up their end of the Truce for the time being, though they suggest that the truce will not last indefinitely, and the Oracle says that she thinks we will see Neo again one day.

Considering all of that, it was pretty much always safe to assume that this 4th movie was going to be a remake style reboot that harkens back to the original. Presumably the machines, after carrying away Neo's body, have placed him in his own personal Matrix where Trinity is still alive, created from his memories of her. The new Morpheus and the blue haired girl in this movie seem to be part of the next generation of freedom fighters within the Matrix's 7th version of the cycle, who go into Neo's personal Matrix to get him to wake up. Presumably, the truce only lasted temporarily, just as the Oracle and Architect suggested it would, and now the Machines have decided to continue the cycle of the Matrix once again, and Neo is needed to stop the cycle once and for all this time. 

This is a great explanation of what happens.

It also doesn't need to be a retread of the original, the machines could take a different route this time around and an entirely new scenario could emerge within the Matrix... or even from outside the Matrix.

Love the matrix trilogy. This doesn't look particularly like a matrix film, it's very colourful lol. In terms of tone and visuals it looks so different from the first 3 movies. I'm really not sure if I'm going to like this film.