By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2021 Sony's Worst Year, First Party Wise, in the past decade?

COVID hit the lineup pretty hard but next year looks bomb.

Around the Network

Gonna have to agree with a lot of people here. Slow year but with stuff like Ratchet and Clank and a few other games, compared to the PS4 first year, this isnt so bad

Yes absolutely. I think buying a PS5 at this price is not wise. Wait a year when offers start flying with a more mature software line-up. Right now besides Ratchet, it's just a juiced up PS4. That said, Sony are rarely known for having strong line-ups first year of release, although the PS5's is particularly weak.

It was probably the best release library wise from Playstation, so it is hard to say it is their worst year in a decade. But yes it could have been better without all the delays.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JackHandy said:
Shaunodon said:

First couple years of PS4 were forgettable, which is why no one ever talks about them (they just remember it how they choose). Feel free to read this PS4 year one review and see how much space is actually dedicated to talking about the games. Given that, this isn't surprising in the least. But that's how first years for almost every new system are...

It didn't use to be that way. Just check out PS2's first year. 

GTA3

MGS2

GT3

DMC

FFX

TM Black

ICO

Silent Hill 2

As an industry, we've really slipped. Both in technology leaps between gens and (great) software quantity. 

Only 2 of those games are from Sony.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
JackHandy said:
Shaunodon said:

First couple years of PS4 were forgettable, which is why no one ever talks about them (they just remember it how they choose). Feel free to read this PS4 year one review and see how much space is actually dedicated to talking about the games. Given that, this isn't surprising in the least. But that's how first years for almost every new system are...

GTA3

MGS2

GT3

DMC

FFX

TM Black

ICO

Silent Hill 2

As an industry, we've really slipped. Both in technology leaps between gens and (great) software quantity. 

PS2 launch was early March 2000.

GTA3 released late October 2001, so almost 20 months after launch.
MGS2 released mid November 2001, so over 20 months after launch.
GT3 released late April 2001, so almost 13 months after launch.
DMC released mid late August 2001, so almost 18 months after launch.
FF X released mid July 2001, so over 16 months after launch.
Twisted Metal Black released mid June 2001, so over 15 months after launch.
ICO released late September 2001, so almost 19 months after launch.
Silent Hill released late September 2001, so almost 19 months after launch.

None of them was a first year game (GT3 comes closest).

But if it makes you happy: just imagine PS5 was launched in your region this summer instead of November... then you can count every game until next summer as "first year game".

well... There is Covid. that realy pushed things... Also, if we talking about 1st year and "only Sony made games", you can include DS Remake, Miles Morales ( Perhaps you can include Tsushima as crossgen, maybe? Last of Us 2 is Ps4, kinda unfair to include it on "PS5 first year").
Still, for a first year and considering "only Sony made games", solid year.

Conina said:
JackHandy said:

GTA3

MGS2

GT3

DMC

FFX

TM Black

ICO

Silent Hill 2

PS2 launch was early March 2000.

GTA3 released late October 2001, so almost 20 months after launch.
MGS2 released mid November 2001, so over 20 months after launch.
GT3 released late April 2001, so almost 13 months after launch.
DMC released mid late August 2001, so almost 18 months after launch.
FF X released mid July 2001, so over 16 months after launch.
Twisted Metal Black released mid June 2001, so over 15 months after launch.
ICO released late September 2001, so almost 19 months after launch.
Silent Hill released late September 2001, so almost 19 months after launch.

None of them was a first year game (GT3 comes closest).

But if it makes you happy: just imagine PS5 was launched in your region this summer instead of November... then you can count every game until next summer as "first year game".

Over here, it didn't launch until the end of October, so for me (and everyone else outside of Japan), all those games were first year. It was truly amazing. 

Manlytears said:

well... There is Covid. that realy pushed things... Also, if we talking about 1st year and "only Sony made games", you can include DS Remake, Miles Morales ( Perhaps you can include Tsushima as crossgen, maybe? Last of Us 2 is Ps4, kinda unfair to include it on "PS5 first year").

I was referring to calendar year releases by Sony (for all its consoles) vs past 12 months or first year of a console launch.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Manlytears said:

We're talking about 2021 and not remakes at that. So DS, Tsushima, and Death Stranding don't count. Tsushima is in no way cross-gen. And it's not a solid year in any way. Tell me a game for September, August and October? And even if you include everything, it's not a solid 14 months(more than a year if you count everything). For the first year, the only actually big game was Ratchet and Clank. I don't see any universe in which this year was "solid" for Sony. Xbox doesn't have the best year either but at least they can cap it off with Halo Infinite which is like a half a decade type of game.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also