By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

Thoughts on the visuals? The art style might be flat but I think the game is pretty as hell, it's one of my favorite aspects of it so far. The animation work is gorgeous, too, Samus has never been so badass. You remember that early fight with the blue beast that can turn invisible with the large tail? When she kills it, Samus makes a pose that... DAMN, this girl is serious business. Also the fight with chained giant thing, when she dodges one of its attacks... god-like.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:

Thoughts on the visuals?

I think it's a great example of the merit of restraint and a "less is more" approach.

It doesn't push the system with high end visual effects, but instead works carefully within the limitations of the hardware to deliver something that looks polished and runs at silky smooth 60fps.

A lot of effort has been poured into details that really tie the presentation together without bogging down performance, like the magnificent animation work.

It's also worth noting that this acts as the series' HD debut, and in that respect it's a huge leap over the previous graphical frontrunners of the series on Wii, and an attractive first step into the world of modern rendering.

14 hours in. Found the first boss I felt unfairly hard

Now time to beat it

Ok: I've beaten it. It wasn't that hard, I was wrongly assuming to use Storm Missle all time when in reality I should've instead use Ice Missile and only use Storm Missile in a specific moment of the battle 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 13 October 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:

Now time to beat it

Wait, so you have played for 14 hours already and now you have found the first boss?

GoOnKid said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Now time to beat it

Wait, so you have played for 14 hours already and now you have found the first boss?

Yeah I'm lazy, I like to explore :p 

Joking. So far all bosses provided some good challenge, but this was the first one I needed more than 5 times to beat it (it was close to 20 than to 5)

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
GoOnKid said:

Yeah I'm lazy, I like to explore :p 

Joking. So far all bosses provided some good challenge, but this was the first one I needed more than 5 times to beat it (it was close to 20 than to 5)

Oh, alright! xD

The bosses are hard, yes. I died a lot, too.

I finished getting all items yesterday. Some of the speedboost puzzles were really challenging. Mostly in figuring what you're supposed to do (I had to check some videos for a few) but once you know what is needed it's fairly doable and it looks really cool.

Spoiler!
Loved the one in Ferenia where you run, jump up, bounce on the wall, slide under blocks, store the shinespark, bomb and boost up.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

I finished getting all items yesterday. Some of the speedboost puzzles were really challenging. Mostly in figuring what you're supposed to do (I had to check some videos for a few) but once you know what is needed it's fairly doable and it looks really cool.

Spoiler!
Loved the one in Ferenia where you run, jump up, bounce on the wall, slide under blocks, store the shinespark, bomb and boost up.

I had to look some up, too, including this one in particular. I'd never be able to figure that one out by myself :D

I beat the boss

Spoiler!
experiment No.Z-57

and wow Loving the boss fights in this game

My experience with the Metroid franchise is quite brief. I started with Metroid Other M (was 10$ brand new) and loved it. Bought a second hand gamecube with Prime and really enjoyed what I played. But I didn't end up beating it... Hope to revisit the prime series on switch though. Then came Samus Returns. Though I dabbled in the older 2D titles, it was only briefly and I just felt like it wasn't for me (the older ones... yes, blasphemy). I really enjoyed Samus Returns but I wish it was on Switch.

So far, I'm in the second area in Dread. It's taken me a few hours, I know I'm slow and still relatively new to Metroid. So far though, I'm having a blast. This may end up being my game of the year. The controls are so tight. The atmosphere is amazing. Perfect difficulty so far. I think I'm now a regular customer of Metroid games. Can't wait to play more.

1doesnotsimply