By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Best recent video game music (last 5 years)

God damn Mario.

Sayonara Wild Hearts

A handful of stand outs from games which I love most if not all of their music, maybe I'll do another post later.

Around the Network

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair also had a pretty groovy score

My favorite game of the 8th generation.

RECORE with a excellent soundtrack by Chad Seiter

Around the Network

I was happy to see some mentions like Guilty Gears, Doom, Nier, FFVII, and others, but...
I'm extremely disappointed that no one mentioned Bloodborne, Dark souls III and Demon's Souls Remake! This causes me discontent on a personal level, to see no mention of the OST of these games here!

I haven't put significant time into a Souls-game since the first Dark Souls, but I still have some favourite tracks from that:

The boss fights are so damn ingrained in my memory, just hearing some of the OSTs reflexively makes my spine chill.

Hollow Knight, Ori and Nier have amazing soundtracks (HK has my favourite OST of all time), but people already know about them and posted before me so I'll add soundtracks from games that haven't been mentioned here.

I really liked Stela's (2019) OST, it's mostly melancholic:

Unexpectedly, I loved Genshin Impact's (2020) OST too:

Detroit Become Human (2018) has some incredible tracks:

I haven't played the game, but the soundtrack for Death Stranding (2019) is really good:

Assemble with Care (2019) has a relaxing album:

I would add some Tearaway Unfolded soundtracks but this is a 6 year old game now...

Last edited by Vendrom - on 14 September 2021

Ashen.

Peacefull track

Great Ambience tracks

Very eerie track (Dungeon)

Boss Fight

Spiritual track

Another excellent Dungeon track

And the "Best boss music of the generation award goes to"

Ashen is a very underrated game.