By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite console not from your preferred brand

Mega Drive/ Genesis but, PS1 is a very close second.

Around the Network

SNES. I never owned the original but my brother did - I had the Megadrive at the time.

This console had some of the best games of their respective genres and still hold up strong to this day. I come back to SNES games every once in a while and they're still fantastically fun to play.

farlaff said:
OdinHades said:

[...] Xbox [...]  was a beast and ran circles around the pathetic hardware from the PS2 and the Gamecube.

Whoa there. I'll have to go with Curl and point out that you probably did not play the Cube much. That thing could do some amazing things, so I'm pretty sure the OGbox would not "run circles" around it. Heck, I have even seen some analysis (can't remember where now) that show some properties of GC that were ahead of the XBox.

I'm no expert and one of our resident tech experts like @Pemalite could probably explain better, but as I understand it, the Cube's TEV hardware could combine up to 8 texture layers in a single pass, and because these operations were fixed function with dedicated silicon, doing so was faster on Gamecube than the Xbox. This is how you get stuff like the extensive use of advanced (for the time) material effects in Rogue Squadron 2/3.

Xbox had the edge in terms of more RAM and more flexible programmable shaders though.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 August 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

In general the Gamecube was simply superior at Texturing than the Xbox.

But the Xbox was superior at pixel shading, which was the new-upcoming technology that would define the 7th console generation... In saying that... TEV could technically perform *every* graphics trick the OG Xbox could, but would require an extra few passes to achieve.

All in all, both devices had their strengths and weaknesses... Rogue Squadron showed us what it could do with allot of texture layers... And the Xbox showed us what it could do with pixel shaders in Morrowind.

They were two polar opposites from a technology standpoint, but in no-way would I say the Xbox slapped the Gamecube or vice versa, they were just two very different approaches to the rendering problem.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Sega Master System. Not from Nintendo, but just as great.

Around the Network

For me, it's gotta be the Xbox 360. For me it even beats every Nintendo system except the SNES and Wii.

It just had so many awesome games, from Gears of War 1-3 to Halo Reach and 4, Bioshock 1/2/Infinite, Witcher 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Mass Effect 1-3, Dead Space, Skyrim, Wolfenstein The New Order, I could go on and on.

Add in one of the most comfortable controllers of all time and you have one for the hall of fame.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Sony - PS4
MS - Xbox 360