By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best thing about your least liked of the Big Three

Very old fashion and late to adapt to industry standards, that being said the games launch complete and don't need patches to function.

Around the Network

All three have their strengths and weaknesses, which is why, each generation, I buy them all. By doing so, I get to enjoy the strengths without any of the weaknesses, because they get canceled out by each other.

Not really big on Sony, but I appreciate that they always make sure their games have industry leading production values. They understand the value of having all their games make a good first impression just on looks alone.

hinch said:

Least favourite - Xbox. Can't say much their recent consoles (since I've not tried them) though they've been much more supportive of PC, especially this past generation. Also the constant care and support for backwards compatibility between all consoles is truly commendable. And goes to show that them going with x86 architecture from the get-go really paid dividends as the generations went by.

While I agree with most of what you said, I must point out that the XBox 360 was PowerPC, not x86.

mZuzek said:

Don't really like Sony / PlayStation. I always have a hard time with their systems' OS and online features and just using them in general, and I'm also not a fan of them always trying their hardest to make their games feel like movies. Their controllers were terrible up until PS3, and while PS4 was an improvement, it still had many issues. Can't speak for DualSense (yet), people say it's great, but they said that about DualShock 4 too so who knows. There's really a lot I don't like about them.

However, they always have a decent amount of exclusives I wish I could get my hands on... Persona 5 most notably in recent years, but I also have a certain interest in titles like Horizon, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, and a few more. Thankfully most of them always seem to arrive on PC sooner or later, but yeah, their games are interesting. Even if they try way too hard to be movies.

In light of your "most of them always seem to arrive on PC sooner or later" comment I'm surprised that a lack of 1st party game production wasn't in the don't like column, since despite a couple more PS4 games being slated for future porting Sony only has only Horizon and Days Gone published for PC at the moment, still i'm glad you use your PC for cinema viewing, you should have a couple of Sony movies from their classical movie series to watch over the next few years.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 08 August 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Hynad said:
hinch said:

Least favourite - Xbox. Can't say much their recent consoles (since I've not tried them) though they've been much more supportive of PC, especially this past generation. Also the constant care and support for backwards compatibility between all consoles is truly commendable. And goes to show that them going with x86 architecture from the get-go really paid dividends as the generations went by.

While I agree with most of what you said, I must point out that the XBox 360 was PowerPC, not x86.

Ah yeah it was PPC, my bad. But ya MS has been doing a stellar job at BC which I wish Sony and Nintendo followed suit. Although MS does have the resources and manpower to do so. Though I guess there's no money in offering BC for legacy stuff (outside supporting the previous gen), so probably won't happen despite hardware being totally capable of running them via emulation :P

Another thing I appreciate about PS is that they have shown great commitment to building a strong first party stable and pumping high production values into even new IPs like Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted Drake's Fortune.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 August 2021

Sony. I like how they maneuver in business. I respect their quest for excellence in their own products. They have this mystique about them that's undeniable...which is, ironically, reminiscent of Nintendo but they've clearly distinguished themselves nonetheless.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Nintendo is my least favorite, simply because apart from third party, they just don't make the kind of games that I would ever want to play. However, they certainly have an audience and they cater to that audience very well indeed. They are refreshingly different from the twins and help keep the gaming landscape more varied and accessible.

MS is my least favorite of the big three. I have to say that their pricing is my favorite bit, both on hardware and software. Their deals are quite simply miles ahead of Sony and Nintendo, which probably has a lot to do with MS being able to afford losses more readily (the Xbox division has never made them any money).