By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This year alot of gamers and youtubers turned 40

Are you turning 40 this year or next year?

Yes 11 22.00%

No 29 58.00%

I'm an OG of gaming already there 10 20.00%

Total:50
VAMatt said:
m0ney said:

Yeah people age as time goes by, it's quite shocking.

It is totally fucked up, is what it is.  In fact, aging is the number one problem facing humanity.  It is the number one cause of death, among other shitty things.  

There is an episode of Love, Death, and Robots you need to watch : S02 E03 · Pop Squad

Around the Network
Verter said:

I'm not sure how the conversation got to this point, but... I gotta love it.

But I also have a question: let's say that I'm on the cloning list (which I'm not... yet). If I were to be cloned at the age of 60, would my 25-year-old copy have his 25-year-old brain or would it inherit the 60-year-old brain that I'd have at the time of my cloning? Because if I could carry my lifetime experience into a young body in an everlasting cycle, that would be awesome.

OT, make this thread again in ten years and we'll talk.

The 25 year old brain is a blank slate, no memories or experience, not even aware of the body yet because it will remain in an unanimated state, until the completion of the imprint.  The 3 month process entails the linking of both brains with an artificial neural net, that trains both brains to act as a single brain.  The deliberate damage that is gradually introduced to the older brain forces the migration of learned reflexes, responses, and eventually memories to migrate to the healthier alternative.  Eventually your conscience mind is not aware of where the majority of your mental processes are occurring, thus making the transition to the new brain seamless.  

Using our old methods of trying to upload memories into a database and then downloading into the new brain proved to be unsuccessful due to what makes you "you", being lost in the process.  Sure what we created would appear to act like you and respond like you, the obvious lack of what could be considered a soul was missing.  

The 2.5 million gigabytes of limited storage space of the brain, while not being an issue for a standard life cycle, will become an issue with the extended experiences that will be accrued with your 2nd cycle.  This is already being circumvented with the additional use of prosthetic brain storage implants.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

SanAndreasX said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

These people were born around 1980-1981. That might be the ideal time to be born for gaming if you live in the US. The NES went nationwide in 1987, which meant that these people would have been around 6-ish years old when that happened, which is about the time most people start playing video games. Basically, their earliest experience with video games would have coincided with the most important event in gaming history, the rise of the NES. It's an event that likely defined their entire lives.

I was 9 when my best friend got a NES. I started with Donkey Kong and Ms. Pac-Man, and had an Atari 130XE as my first gaming machine. But yeah, The Legend of Zelda was one of the most amazing games I'd ever played, and the Zelda series is still my favorite game series of all time.

Get behind me in line youngster I turned 44 last year.

I started out with a Pong unit that my grandparents had. But I truly cut my teeth in earnest on the 2600 with a slew of games that I got for Christmas one year.

Zelda oh Zelda.  I got the Mario / Duck Hunt / Gyromite bundle and Zelda didn't come until later.  I still remember talking my mother out of $30 to buy it from KB toys.  Some very fond memories there of her helping me map out the dungeons on graph paper as I played them.  My father still plays the Zelda series to this day (not much of anything else though), that sick bastard took the time to find all the korok seeds if that tells you anything.

edit - Dad found them all in BotW for clarification.

The_Yoda said:

46 yesterday.  Sucked, had to share it with Jeff Gordon, Kurt Busch, Meghan Markle, and Barrack Obama. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
The_Yoda said:

46 yesterday.  Sucked, had to share it with Jeff Gordon, Kurt Busch, Meghan Markle, and Barrack Obama. 

Happy late birthday!  Guess I'm second or third in line now (depends on the age of the mysterious VAMatt)

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:

Happy late birthday!  Guess I'm second or third in line now (depends on the age of the mysterious VAMatt)

Thanks, much appreciated.  As far as being born and growing up during a period where gaming was in its infancy, it absolutely shaped me.  I was glad to grow up with it and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.  That Skyrim gaming granny gives me something to look forward to.

dx11332sega said:

ReviewtechUSA turned 40 this year.

Only watched 5-10 of his videos over the course of... 5 years... Probably longer actually. 

Always thought that he was already 40. He looks older.  

DroidKnight said:

The 25 year old brain is a blank slate, no memories or experience, not even aware of the body yet because it will remain in an unanimated state, until the completion of the imprint.  The 3 month process entails the linking of both brains with an artificial neural net, that trains both brains to act as a single brain.  The deliberate damage that is gradually introduced to the older brain forces the migration of learned reflexes, responses, and eventually memories to migrate to the healthier alternative.  Eventually your conscience mind is not aware of where the majority of your mental processes are occurring, thus making the transition to the new brain seamless.  

Using our old methods of trying to upload memories into a database and then downloading into the new brain proved to be unsuccessful due to what makes you "you", being lost in the process.  Sure what we created would appear to act like you and respond like you, the obvious lack of what could be considered a soul was missing.  

The 2.5 million gigabytes of limited storage space of the brain, while not being an issue for a standard life cycle, will become an issue with the extended experiences that will be accrued with your 2nd cycle.  This is already being circumvented with the additional use of prosthetic brain storage implants.  

I have the feeling that you founded that company when the technology wasn't ready yet. But anyway, happy belated birthday! (And ditto to your 25-year-old clon, if you have one.)

I'm mostly a lurker now.

I's turning 40 next May, which makes me the oldest female gamer here.

Gaming-wise, I started out on the NES. My dad introduced me to it. He showed m Ghosts n' Goblins and the original Super Mario Bros., but it wound up being the original Metroid that got me into gaming with its exploration focus. From there, I rebelled and wanted a Sega Genesis when it came out a couple years later for the EDGY games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage before sorta evolving into appreciation for more narrative-driven titles like Out of This World and Final Fantasy VI. These days I mostly play indie games. Somebody said earlier that the NES era probably had a formative impact on that generation of gamers that they've carried with them their entire lives. I'd say it did for me. I still prefer games that are super fresh and imaginative with lots of heart and soul packed into them like back then, before there was expansive market testing and such like today. And yeah, I can be a sucker for retro vibes too. I'm replaying Alwa's Awakening as I write this, for example.

The_Yoda said:
DroidKnight said:

I'm younger than both of you.