By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Misogyny, Bigotry, and the Gaming Community

The last week or so (and the year in general) has been pretty revealing as to how many social problems still exist within the gaming industry. Misogyny and sexual harassment still run rampant at entities as large and public as Activision and Ubisoft (let alone the anonymity of the internet). The game about how corrosive hatred is has become the community's biggest concentration of it. A site like this can count its openly female members on one hand (afaik). Is it time to admit that these problems have been baked right into the culture itself? How do we fix these intrinsic issues?

Around the Network

Didn't know girlfriend reviews was getting so much pettiness and vitriol from TLOU2 reddit

Damn how toxic is this community

It's an issue industry-wide. Naughty Dog, EA, Ubisoft, and other big western studios. Capcom USA used to be really bad from 2009-2014 ish but got little coverage back then. Just another thing I'm jaded with in the AAA industry.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I come bearing the news that this is most industries. I'm sure every one of us has seen it to some degree or other at some point in their professional life. I actually tend to find that it is younger people (20's, early thirties) whose demographic spends the most time lecturing others about how to behave who can be the most inconsiderate and inappropriate.

The solution is workplace culture. An environment of mutual respect to fill the moral vaccuum that is a depressed society.

About the harassments on the internet I have an unpopular opinion. I believe that the internet anonymity shouldn't protect anybody from threating and/or harassing other people, so I'd advocate for a change in mind. If somebody witnesses such behaviour in threads/posts/mails/whatever then it should be possible to report this to the police. Such beahvior is a criminal offense in my eyes and should be punished. I think humanity has tried to keep ourselves anonymous in the internet but it didn't work out, we need to correct it. It doesn't matter if we are online or offline, we still are in a society and we should behave like civilised humans. Track down these assholes and punish them. No mercy from my side.

Around the Network

It gets worse in schools. At least in the workplace, most people are old enough to know better and/or deal with it. At school most teachers don't even bother trying to do something about it. There's a reason we used to have "girls' schools" and "boys' schools"...

Ka-pi96 said:
GoOnKid said:

About the harassments on the internet I have an unpopular opinion. I believe that the internet anonymity shouldn't protect anybody from threating and/or harassing other people, so I'd advocate for a change in mind. If somebody witnesses such behaviour in threads/posts/mails/whatever then it should be possible to report this to the police. Such beahvior is a criminal offense in my eyes and should be punished. I think humanity has tried to keep ourselves anonymous in the internet but it didn't work out, we need to correct it. It doesn't matter if we are online or offline, we still are in a society and we should behave like civilised humans. Track down these assholes and punish them. No mercy from my side.

The internet is global though. Different countries have different laws concerning things like this. Plus even if you report something to the police in your country if the person is in a different country then there's nothing that they can do about it.

I believe death threats and the like posted on the internet are a criminal issue in some countries already though.

Okay I want to clarify that I think it isn't the responsibility of the victim country's police but that of the villain's country.

Yes, it's indeed very difficult to establish a working system to prevent this, I understand. However, I think we need to do something. We need to stand up against shit like this and discourage it as much as possible.

Ka-pi96 said:

Get better education and wait 50+ years. That's the only way I see to really fix it, same with racism.

You're not really going to make a sexist/racist stop being one. You need to wait for a whole new generation of people to be rid of that kind of behaviour. Realistically multiple generations since a lot of that behaviour is learnt from the parents.

I don't think time will fix anything.  We've had plenty of education on both racism and sexism for 75 years, and it never went away.  Even if you look at TV programs from the 1960s you can see the exact same discussions we're having today appear pretty regularly.  All the women's and civil rights movements have been around for a long time, and roughly speaking the same proportions of people supported the cause.

TBH - if anything we've been going backwards in the last 15 years or so...  I think it's the level of "heat" that is causing problems.  Getting excited and shouty isn't a good way of getting people on-side.

I think these guys had problems interacting with women and seeing them as equals, this generally starts because they are mostly isolated from women during childhood or teenage years which make harder for them to form bons with women as friends or coworkers.

The fact they are in a male dominant workplace made them feel safer because they are the majority and don't need to feel "threatened" from major consequences and potential conflicts. If this was a female dominant workplace, let's say nursering, I doubt such thing would happen openly (keyword: openly, because harassment is more likely to be secretive than open)

OneTime said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Get better education and wait 50+ years. That's the only way I see to really fix it, same with racism.

You're not really going to make a sexist/racist stop being one. You need to wait for a whole new generation of people to be rid of that kind of behaviour. Realistically multiple generations since a lot of that behaviour is learnt from the parents.

I don't think time will fix anything.  We've had plenty of education on both racism and sexism for 75 years, and it never went away.  Even if you look at TV programs from the 1960s you can see the exact same discussions we're having today appear pretty regularly.  All the women's and civil rights movements have been around for a long time, and roughly speaking the same proportions of people supported the cause.

TBH - if anything we've been going backwards in the last 15 years or so...  I think it's the level of "heat" that is causing problems.  Getting excited and shouty isn't a good way of getting people on-side.

It's because moral education comes primary from family. Most people just accept and trust their parents words and inheritate their values (or lack of)

I think time will solve it, but there are centuries of inequality to fix first. Man and women relationship is one of the bases of human society, it's a very deep subject and extends beyond an ethic discussion about how people should should treated in workplace 

For instance, the lack of women on specialized workforce because the women is supposed to step down their careers if they get pregnant, it's a very delicated issue and many women really do want to resign because they can equally be interested in family life and work life. However more and more women are delaying their marriadges and pregnancy to focus on their careers, as such we can see an slowly but steady increase in the number of women working in leadership positions and such although it comes with a fairly bitter price that is the decrease of birthrate