By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Misogyny, Bigotry, and the Gaming Community

The last week or so (and the year in general) has been pretty revealing as to how many social problems still exist within the gaming industry. Misogyny and sexual harassment still run rampant at entities as large and public as Activision and Ubisoft (let alone the anonymity of the internet). The game about how corrosive hatred is has become the community's biggest concentration of it. A site like this can count its openly female members on one hand (afaik). Is it time to admit that these problems have been baked right into the culture itself? How do we fix these intrinsic issues?

Around the Network

I wouldn't say any of this is "revealing", as it's been pretty obviously an issue for as long as I can remember. Maybe revealing in that it's happening within the companies themselves rather than just among gaming communities, but really, it isn't surprising. Certainly not with it being centered around Activision/Blizzard.

Don't think there's a real way to fix it. When there's one asshole among a large group of decent people, it's easy to single them out and punish them in some way. But in the gaming community it kinda feels like every other guy is an asshole.

I'm still reading up on the details for the Activision Blizzard situation, but it's looking a lot worse than I expected.

But in general, I don't know if there's an easy fix to these situations.

So many women I know have experienced sexual harassment (or worse) in the workplace from their colleagues, managers/bosses or customers, that I pretty much just expect it at this point.

I don't know if it's more prevalent in some industries than others. But if it's not handled properly by the management of that workplace/community, it will likely just enable more similar behavior.

Last edited by Hiku - on 25 July 2021

Didn't know girlfriend reviews was getting so much pettiness and vitriol from TLOU2 reddit

Damn how toxic is this community

It's an issue industry-wide. Naughty Dog, EA, Ubisoft, and other big western studios. Capcom USA used to be really bad from 2009-2014 ish but got little coverage back then. Just another thing I'm jaded with in the AAA industry.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I come bearing the news that this is most industries. I'm sure every one of us has seen it to some degree or other at some point in their professional life. I actually tend to find that it is younger people (20's, early thirties) whose demographic spends the most time lecturing others about how to behave who can be the most inconsiderate and inappropriate.

The solution is workplace culture. An environment of mutual respect to fill the moral vaccuum that is a depressed society.

About the harassments on the internet I have an unpopular opinion. I believe that the internet anonymity shouldn't protect anybody from threating and/or harassing other people, so I'd advocate for a change in mind. If somebody witnesses such behaviour in threads/posts/mails/whatever then it should be possible to report this to the police. Such beahvior is a criminal offense in my eyes and should be punished. I think humanity has tried to keep ourselves anonymous in the internet but it didn't work out, we need to correct it. It doesn't matter if we are online or offline, we still are in a society and we should behave like civilised humans. Track down these assholes and punish them. No mercy from my side.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

It gets worse in schools. At least in the workplace, most people are old enough to know better and/or deal with it. At school most teachers don't even bother trying to do something about it. There's a reason we used to have "girls' schools" and "boys' schools"...

Get better education and wait 50+ years. That's the only way I see to really fix it, same with racism.

You're not really going to make a sexist/racist stop being one. You need to wait for a whole new generation of people to be rid of that kind of behaviour. Realistically multiple generations since a lot of that behaviour is learnt from the parents.

GoOnKid said:

About the harassments on the internet I have an unpopular opinion. I believe that the internet anonymity shouldn't protect anybody from threating and/or harassing other people, so I'd advocate for a change in mind. If somebody witnesses such behaviour in threads/posts/mails/whatever then it should be possible to report this to the police. Such beahvior is a criminal offense in my eyes and should be punished. I think humanity has tried to keep ourselves anonymous in the internet but it didn't work out, we need to correct it. It doesn't matter if we are online or offline, we still are in a society and we should behave like civilised humans. Track down these assholes and punish them. No mercy from my side.

The internet is global though. Different countries have different laws concerning things like this. Plus even if you report something to the police in your country if the person is in a different country then there's nothing that they can do about it.

I believe death threats and the like posted on the internet are a criminal issue in some countries already though.