By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Deck Does What Nintendon't?

Lol, people aren't dumping legal games into emulators. Just stop, seriously.  Nintendo developed games on the Deck is 100% illegal. Full stop.

As for the Deck itself, I'm interested.  Seems pretty cool depending on how well it runs games.  I have two docks for the switch which is amazing versatility with kids.  Doing the same with Deck is intriguing.

Around the Network

There is no real distinction between "console" and "PC" anyway these days. PS5 and XBS are just stripped down PCs sold at cost put into a walled garden with less flexibility.

zero129 said:
Chrkeller said:

Lol, people aren't dumping legal games into emulators. Just stop, seriously.  Nintendo developed games on the Deck is 100% illegal. Full stop.

As for the Deck itself, I'm interested.  Seems pretty cool depending on how well it runs games.  I have two docks for the switch which is amazing versatility with kids.  Doing the same with Deck is intriguing.

So your talking more bullshit. Dumping Switch games you own and running them on the Deck isnt illegal.. where are you getting this fudge from or are you just trolling?.

Ripping your own games to another device is a gray space at best, largely because it hasn't been tested out in court to date.  But more to the point, as stated many times over, people who emulated (largely) are not buying the actual games and transferring the code.  We both know most emulators have people downloading games illegally.  Just stop...  or not.  I'm going to ignore your obviously delusional views on how most people treat modding/emulation.  

Last piece of friendly advice, YouTube isn't a great source for legal advice.  

https://www.nintendo.com/terms-of-use/

Nintendo's website

As far as the piracy thing goes, I honestly don't think much is going to change. The people who pirate videogames have been pirating for a while, they've been pirating forever. The Deck isn't going to suddenly create new pirates who weren't already pirating.

So in other words, no, the Deck isn't going to hurt Nintendo as far as piracy goes. No more than usual, anyway.

Around the Network

And Nintendo does what Steam doesn't. I'm all for new hardware coming out, but the Deck seems like a huge waste of time and money. It feels like Valve saw the success of the Switch and decided to make something to try and get the same sales but has none of the charm or software.

"So I think Nintendo does a great job targeting the audience they do with the content that they have. And that's going to be different. Like when you pick this up, it feels much more like the ergonomics for somebody who's used to playing with an expensive game controller, right? Because it's bigger and it's bulkier than a Switch. And if we're right, that's the right trade-off to be making for the audience that we're going after," Newell said.

Source

Bigger and bulkier with ergonomics?

Sounds like they got inspired by the WiiU Gamepad instead.

EDIT: Posting here on mobile sucks big time!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Chazore said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold: except those negative pieces weren't about physical games, nice spinning it, thought.

I don't like him either, he is a double standard guy. But i will act as neutral guy here.

I was actually on about the other threads btw.

You're acting as a devil's advocate here, which doesn't help.

It's a new device, it's a mini PC, it's not competing with the Switch and it's been pointed out by multiple folks on here. He knows he doesn't want the damn thing, so why is he even here?.

I'm not big on Sony/MS and I own a Switch, but you don't see me going into their main threads (unless someone sticks it into gaming discussion, in which case it's not muted, because all 3 main topic threads are muted on my end). 

I don't either, but i have to say it based on what happened so far. 

Bold: maybe the name of the article made him decided to come here, and i did the same.

zero129 said:

This isnt about what people are doing or not doing. The is a very large number of people who emulate and dump their own games. At the end of the day we can derail any topic to piracy the switch itself isnt immune from piracy so lets stick to what we know to be true and thats emulators have been proving not to be illegal.

Also can you point out what part of Nintendos terms says "Dumping" your own roms is illegal.

Do you know how many games would be lost to time if it wasnt for emulation?. And also Nintendo really would be the last place i would go to for advice on emulation when the is plenty of cases and precedents already set. Its not illegal so i dont really care what moral high ground you want to try taking here you can have your opinion but it still wont change the law or the facts.

Anyways im done going over this as its just going to keep going in circles.

Or you can ask Nin if what you do is legal. If you do nothing wrong, no need to be scared, Nin will approve it for you anyway.

LudicrousSpeed said:

And Nintendo does what Steam doesn't. I'm all for new hardware coming out, but the Deck seems like a huge waste of time and money. It feels like Valve saw the success of the Switch and decided to make something to try and get the same sales but has none of the charm or software.

Ignoring the fact that the Deck can play more Nintendo games than the Switch can if you want to dip into emulators, the Deck can basically run all of the quirky indie and 3rd party software the Switch has, which is like the majority of the Switch software. 

And hundreds/thousands of game titles not available or possible on Switch like Resident Evil Village, Monster Hunter World, Street Fighter V, Halo: Master Chief Collection, Half-Life, Final Fantasy XV, Forza, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption II, Grand Theft Auto V, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding, etc. etc. etc.

Software library certainly isn't a problem for the Steam Deck. 

LudicrousSpeed said:

Bearing in mind how bad the tech industry is from shortages, try finding a PC for under $400 that can play all the latest games and portable.  

At bold this isn't exactly a new concept, handheld PC's have been around since the late 1980's. And besides his has more games than all consoles combined, including Xbox :P