By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How old does a game need to be to warrant a remake?

Orig resident evil only took 6 years and had a remake
1996 psone
2002 GameCube remake

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Bold 1: Not that I want, but if they are significantly different then I'm certainly more ready to give it a try at least 

Bold 2: Because sometimes the world, concept or story might be interesting but execution was either limited for technology or just aged badly

For me the purpose of a remake is to reimagine what was done before. Make the same thing again is nothing but laziness and lack of inspiration, no wonder why so many companies outsource their remakes

More than nothing, gaming the best qualities about games are daring, creativity, taking risks and having ambition. A copy of what was done before already fail to check any of those. It's OK to make a remake a copy and past of original, but they will never be great games for me, just good I guess 

If it's just for the world, concept or story then you could just have a sequel or spin off, no need for a remake.

Games don't need to be at all "daring, creative, risk taking or ambitious" for me. They need to be good, that's all. There are some great games that took no risks at all and there are also terrible games that tried to be creative. Doing those things in a remake of a game people love is just a great way to piss off existing fans. Do it in a new IP or something instead. Then best case scenario you have a great game, worst case you have a shit game but nobody is annoyed by it.

Sometimes a story don't warrant a sequel. You need to reimagine it completely if you want to ""remake"" it 

Talk about two minutes, a game like Zelda A Link Between Worlds is almost a remake for A Link to the Past, it shares a lot of its gameplay, same characters, same map, and same concept but nobody is annoyed every dungeon is different because the same is "sold" as a different game. I'm sure if it was titled "A Link to the Past remake" people would rage because they changed dungeons and story from the original. That's because people expect a remake to be copies and dislike when devs decide to don't make copies

It's the same issue when adapting movies from books, book fans wants the movies to be exactly the same as the originals instead of being the best movie possible 

About pissing me off, what piss me off is a bad game that made me lose my money and time. This can equally apply to both loyal remake or a unfaithful remake.

A game that isn't what I was expecting don't piss me off, indeed I quite like when games (or movies, books or whatever media) prove all my expectations to be wrong and still somehow manage to be good, it's entertaining to have your notions twisted 

Arguably the best remake of all time released just 6 years after the original game (Resident Evil).

LivncA_Dis3 said:

Orig resident evil only took 6 years and had a remake
1996 psone
2002 GameCube remake

The jump from PS1 to GC was massive. Night and day difference than going from a PS3 to PS4 to PS5. 

The jump from the PS1/N64 era is warranted.

I say 2 generations. Maybe 3 depending on when. For instance I was playing mass effect 1 recently and was shocked how bad everything looked. The textures were so blurry and the gameplay so stilted I felt like I would never get that way with 7th gen games. Then again ME2 seemed much more modern yet released in tbe same gen. So maybe 2 gens earlier sometimes but usually you wanna go back 3 gens at least. The resident evils and FF7 remake have proven that's a good amount of time also 2d games need remade like the original Metal Gears

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
twintail said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I feel the exact opposite. They're prime examples of games that won't be any different as remakes. I don't think there's been a single technological advance since they originally released worth remaking them for.

Dead Space has a better argument for a remake, but that's not due to technical reasons. That's because EA effectively killed the franchise and maybe the remake can bring it back from the dead. Although TBH a reboot or spin-off would probably be better for that purpose, eg. the new Tomb Raider or Doom games.

Just comparing TloU Remaster with TloU2 is already night and day from a technological perspective. The added benefits that would come from a TLoU post-TloU2 will be pretty substantial. 

Yes, the kind of changes would perhaps have a lesser impact than say RE2 had, but that should not detract from how games like TLoU and DS can be enhanced for the better. Accessibility additions to TloU would be transformative on their own. 3D audio of next gen consoles would most definitely be a massive change to the DS experience. 

The TLOU doesnt need a remake, 3D audio can be patched in.

Atleast 2 generation leaps.

6d4 years

twintail said:
Azzanation said:

The TLOU doesnt need a remake, 3D audio can be patched in.

There's no way of telling if the TloU1 engine can even take 3D audio without much effort.

Nevertheless, it's not just 3D audio right? It's a whole list of things that would require the use of an engine version which TloU1 doesn't support. 

They can modify anything they want, if they choose to. TLOU1 is too modern for a remake in my opinion. Its like if Xbox wanted to remake Halo 4.. there really isn't a point of it. Remastering the games is more than enough.

twintail said:
Azzanation said:

They can modify anything they want, if they choose to. TLOU1 is too modern for a remake in my opinion. Its like if Xbox wanted to remake Halo 4.. there really isn't a point of it. Remastering the games is more than enough.

I can't say I agree.

Enhancements to the graphics, lighting, animation, audio, gameplay, AI, controls, and accessibility options (like a blind gamer being able to complete TloU2) are not things that can just be easily added, if at all, to TloU via some update. And this doesn't account for whatever changes the PS5 brings to their engine.

If TloU could be updated to include the vast changes seen in TloU2, ND/ Sony would've done it by now and on their own volition rather than having a support studio pitch the idea. 

They wont do it for free as we know how they work. They will try to sell it again to you judging on there current methods.

My issue is the game is too modern for a remake and thier are plenty of other games deserving a remake that could really use the visual upgrade.

All games can be improved upon with todays technology however its more if they need it.