By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 28, 2021 - (July 5 - July 11)

So it doesn't seem any noteworthy PS5 titles released this week according to COMG, could we be looking at two weeks in a row with a PS5-free top 30?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

So it doesn't seem any noteworthy PS5 titles released this week according to COMG, could we be looking at two weeks in a row with a PS5-free top 30?

Not really surprising.

Good start for Shin-chan, its actually out of stock right now on Amazon.co.jp 

The main thing is that it's a bit short and single player focused. So it might not have very strong legs unless they add additional content in the coming weeks/months. Still I think it might be a popular title in the summer and should end up selling 200K units this year. 

Soren0079 said:

I just wanted to say that this is a fantastic bit of writing. Well done noshten. :)

Thanks

curl-6 said:

The only PS5 SKU that has the chance of reaching the top 30 in the next 8 weeks (until Tales of Arise) is Utawarerumono Zan 2, and that's no guarantee. So honestly, having a PS5 SKU in the top 30 is what should surprise you, if anything.

Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

The only PS5 SKU that has the chance of reaching the top 30 in the next 8 weeks (until Tales of Arise) is Utawarerumono Zan 2, and that's no guarantee. So honestly, having a PS5 SKU in the top 30 is what should surprise you, if anything.

Far out. I don't remember PS4 having these kind of troubles in 2014.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:

The PS4 couldn't play PS3 games. There isn't all that much reason for 95% of the games in Japan to have a PS5 SKU since they don't go beyond what a PS4 can handle. And those who do have a PS5 can just upgrade to the PS5 version anyway the vast majority of time, so a PS4 SKU serves everyone.

Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

The PS4 couldn't play PS3 games. There isn't all that much reason for 95% of the games in Japan to have a PS5 SKU since they don't go beyond what a PS4 can handle. And those who do have a PS5 can just upgrade to the PS5 version anyway the vast majority of time, so a PS4 SKU serves everyone.

Even PS4 software sales are really low though.

curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:

Even PS4 software sales are really low though.

Certainly. PlayStation software has been really low for many many years now, outside of a few tentpoles like Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI, FF7R, and of course MHW.  Like take Guilty Gear which sold 15k between PS4/PS5 versions. Even if you add 10k for potential digital you're talking only 5-7% of total global sales of Guilty Gear Strive to be from Japan. It's such an incredibly small percentage of global software sales which are only growing more and more outside of Japan and shrinking within it.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 19 July 2021

curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:

During the PS4 transition in 2014 the charts were dominated by PS3/PSV games. PS4 had better SW numbers due to publishers not trusting the PSV to be successful, so they went with 3 or 2 platforms, but PS4 had terrible HW numbers. PSV finally hit it's stride in Japan in 2014. The loss of Sony's handheld division is playing out now with the PS5.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

During the PS4 transition in 2014 the charts were dominated by PS3/PSV games. PS4 had better SW numbers due to publishers not trusting the PSV to be successful, so they went with 3 or 2 platforms, but PS4 had terrible HW numbers. PSV finally hit it's stride in Japan in 2014. The loss of Sony's handheld division is playing out now with the PS5.

Sony makes a good choice, ditched the PSvita and laser focus on Ps4. Without this, maybe Ps4 it's not so successful.

But the portable scene, A and AA  Japanese production, now is migrated for Nintendo Switch, slowly, you can see this now.  

Nintendo Switch reunites de 3ds, Wiiu, Psvita pipeline in one videogame.