By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Suggestions for Tactical/Strategic RPGs?

I really enjoy turn based RPG games such as Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle and so on. But they are not very easy to find, very few games from that genre as released. I'm really looking forward Square's next SRPG to be released somewhere in future, if you aren't aware, here's the trailer:

There is also a demo, you can download it on eshop

Anyway, this thread is to ask you guys some recommendations for Strategic RPGs where you have a board and needs to move your party through a field and not only your stats and set ups are important, but your field positions too. I've played quite a few of those games so far, but there isn't much I could find myself it's a very niche subgenre it seems

My current set up of consoles are a Switch, a PC and a PS4. I would really appreciate if someone could give me something similar to play. Some nice things I'm expecting:

- Good story. Doesn't need to be groundbreaking, but needs to be interesting enough to keep me going trough it. I've dropped Valkyria Chronicles 4 because I found the story and the characters hard to get along

- Setting. Something more... let's say conventional. I've tried Disgaea 5 on PC but didn't really like the art style and setting

- Complex gameplay mechanics that needs some level of plan ahead and smart party set up are important, It's a strategy game there is no fun is just cakewalking trough the game slaying every enemy just because you got some time grinding. 

I thank everybody in advance

Around the Network

Seeing as I just started another playthrough a couple days ago, this is a pretty easy recommendation first up: Battletech (PC).

I will say Battletech is a lot different from the SRPGs you've mentioned so far-- sci-fi, western-developed, much less conventional gameplay, you only get 4 units max and they're all big Mechs, less focus on heroism and more about straight money-grubbing and survival...

It would be a bit of a steep learning curve at first, there's a lot of different mechanics and info to digest, but trust me, it's well worth it.

If you want a more comfortable Japanese SRPG that's more like what you've already played but also focuses on mechs, try one of the SD Gundam games. 'SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays' is the one I tried recently (bought from Steam), and from what I played it was pretty good. Even better if you've seen most of the associated tv series.

Outside of that, I'd also recommend Mechanicus (Warhammer 40K based, very unique, available everywhere); Into the Breach (PC and Switch, indie, much smaller in scale but easy to play through with good replay value); and Advance Wars (you should know about this already, launches later this year for Switch.)

Edit(after going back through my games played list): 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4)-- bit of a stretch, gameplay is a hybrid between a 2D interactive visual novel-esque mode, and a 3D real-time strategy mode. Also focuses on mechs. Great game if you've never checked it out.

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 13 July 2021

I have yet to try Banner of the Maid. Game is based on an alternative history of the French Revolution.
Looks interesting, and read good things about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cbq3IAiEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s17tuUHPdNs

Another one is the Tiny Metal sequel, for which I have played the original and apparently the sequel improves the strategy by adding transport vehicles that changes the dynamics of the battles.

https://youtu.be/HJeP5hY9Vw4

Last edited by TomaTito - on 14 July 2021

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Fire Emblem: Three Houses would be my recommendation. You might also try Langrisser if you’re okay with old school.

Shaunodon said:

Edit(after going back through my games played list): 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4)-- bit of a stretch, gameplay is a hybrid between a 2D interactive visual novel-esque mode, and a 3D real-time strategy mode. Also focuses on mechs. Great game if you've never checked it out.

Even though the point of the thread wasn't recomend VS this one got my attention nonetheless, I'll search more about it 

Around the Network

I would still recommend trying Disgaea 1 in any of its releases, its less animu weeb than what the more recent Disgaeas seem to be (I haven't really played them) and its story is quite good. Another good one from NIS is Phantom Brave. It still has that anime feeling of Disgaea, though.