By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo console had the best first party lineup?

I think the best is...

NES 9 15.00%

Super NES 21 35.00%

Nintendo 64 11 18.33%

Gamecube 8 13.33%

Wii 9 15.00%

Wii U 2 3.33%

Total:60
Wman1996 said:
Torpoleon said:

@Pemalite To be fair, the point of this thread is to look at each system's own lineup of games, otherwise I would have picked the Wii myself.

Exactly. That would be like giving the Wii U your vote because of the combined Wii and Wii U first-party games you can play on it.

Yeah I'm personally not counting stuff like Virtual Console or ports from previous systems, just the first party games actually made for each console, for the sake of fairness.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 July 2021

Around the Network

I think the Wii stands apart from most of the other Nintendo consoles, relatively speaking, even without the Virtual console.

You have Wii Sports - a killer app so powerful that it caused lineups for months through the chill of winter of people who wanted to own the console. A trend that continued on and off for the first three years of the console’s existence. Also popularized motion gaming.

There was Super Mario Galaxy - a major seller at near 13 million, and also the masterpiece of Super Mario series according to critical consensus, disputed only by one other game in the franchise…

Super Mario Galaxy 2, a game which has strengths over Galaxy 1 in level design, although weaknesses in the overall packaging to deliver those levels. Sold an additional 7.5 million. Over 20 million between it and the first game.

Wii Fit and Wii Fit+ which brought fitness gaming to the mainstream, sold 44 million together, and established the viability of the marketplace for products like Fit Bit.

Mario Kart Wii modernized the franchise setting the standard and style for the series until present day. Also, it sold 37 million+ making it the most successful independent piece of software on a single console, ever…. until it’s surpassed by its Switch sequel.

New Super Mario Bros brought 2D Mario back to home consoles for the first time since the SNES, and at over 30 million sales remains the best selling independent Super Mario game (Super Mario Bros on NES sold almost exclusively in console bundles alongside Tetris and World Cup), and best selling platformer on a single platform. So, 50 million+ for the three Mario platformers on Wii.

It had its Smash game with Brawl, highest selling home console version at over 13 million. Not sure if this counts as first party since the parent dev company was a shell company called “Sora” that was a shell company owned by Sakurai (or Sakulai as youtubers call him), although the dev staff was from Nintendo. Previous games were HAL, later were Namco.

Wii released one of the most successful peripherals in console history with the Motion +, the best game for it, Wii Sports Resort sold 33 million+.

Wii Play sold another 28 million. Cheap game, still worth noting.

Twilight Princess originally released on Wii before it came out on GameCube and Wii U, and at over 7.5 million on Wii was Ocarina of Time’s only rival until Breath of the Wild smoked it like a hash pipe.

WarioWare Smooth Moves, while only selling little more than 2 million - great on most consoles, peanuts on Wii, introduced the world to actual party gaming (not playing Smash or Guitar Hero with your nerd friends, but actual “round of shots!” party gaming) that would later explode with third party hits like Just Dance.

Xenoblade Chronicles - one of the greatest RPGs of all time, spiritual successor of the cult classic Xenogears.

Then there was a number of other games: Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Trilogy, and Other M, Animal Crossing City Folk, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party games (Mario Party 8 sold around 9 million), Donkey Kong Country Returns, Punch Out! Wario Land, Fire Emblem (not sure if Intelligent Systems counts, technically not part of Nintendo, but they’re practically in the same building and share resources), we all remember Wii Party! And others.

And of course, the entire virtual console catalogue. And while there was backwards compatibility with the GameCube, I don’t count that, as it’s not really for the Wii, it’s just compatibility with the GameCube platform. The Wii VC was content sold for the Wii - some games we saw in Western markets officially for the first time. Wii VC remains, to this day, the most robust catalogue of Nintendo games in history.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Still the SNES imo.

Jumpin said:

And of course, the entire virtual console catalogue. And while there was backwards compatibility with the GameCube, I don't count that, as it's not really for the Wii, it's just compatibility with the GameCube platform. The Wii VC was content sold for the Wii - some games we saw in Western markets officially for the first time. Wii VC remains, to this day, the most robust catalogue of Nintendo games in history.

I wish they hadn't shut down the Wii eshop.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

If I had to pick a second place it would be either SNES on the strength of Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Starfox, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Kirby's Dreamland 3, and A Link to the Past, or the N64, on the strength of Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, and F-Zero X.

Rare was a huge factor for both in my book though; if we include their games as first party then they're easily the top two out of all Nintendo's systems. As to which is number one though, that's still an extremely tough call. SNES gains the DKC trilogy which are all great games, but the N64 gets Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong Racing.

Around the Network

Second place for me would probably be the Wii's library. Of course GCN being my #1 pick and Wii being #2 could be because I grew up with these systems. All of the Nintendo systems have great games in their libraries though.

I would put Wii above NES, SNES & N64 for several reasons though.

Galaxy 1 & 2 are (excluding Odyssey) my favorite Mario games. Actually, if you exclude GCN, Switch and the handhelds, Galaxy 2 is probably my favorite Nintendo game, and Galaxy 1 is probably second.

I have incredibly fond memories with Brawl, MK Wii and several Mario spin-offs (namely Super Sluggers, MP8 & Sports Mix). Also, the Wii has my favorite console Kirby game, Return to Dream Land.