By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your 5 favorite games from the last 5 years

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I was going to write a post thinking "Wow, even a cynical asshole like me can come up with 5 games from the last 5 years to write about positively!"

...Then I realized you meant 5 games you liked from each year of the past 5 years. 

It's lonely on the other side 

Hee! Well it doesn't have to be a full five games per year if you don't have that many for a given year. If you want to participate, you can just list the games that you do have for each year in your order of preference. I've just set out five as the maximum and a goal, not as a minimum.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

West of Loathing is a fantastic game!  In many ways, it is how I've wished they would make RPGs for several years now (or at least 2D RPGs).  I feel like they took a decent amount of inspiration from the old LucasArts adventure games (like Monkey Island) with regards to world building and exploration.  However they made the rest of the gameplay a turn-based RPG instead of solving puzzles.  If you like the vibe of a LucasArts adventure with RPG gameplay, then I'd say you would really like it.

That sounds awesome! I enjoyed The Secret of Monkey Island a lot back in the day. I'm thinking about that type of game made as an RPG. That definitely sounds like something I want to play.

See that's also part of the reason why I post list threads like this: it's a good way to discover more games!

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Assault Suit Leynos

Digimon Cybersleuth

Doom

Macross Delta Scramble

Yakuza 0

Nier Automata

Astebreed

Nex Machina

Xenoblade 2

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise

Xenoblade 2 Torna

Octopath Traveler

Ruiner

Spider-Man

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Devil May Cry 5

Harcore Mecha

Judgment

Xenoblade Chronicles DE

Yakuza Like a Dragon

Sakura Wars

Trials of Mana

13 Sentinels

2020 felt like a really weak year to me. The best games were remakes or sequels. Great games but not as diverse as some years. 2019 and 2017 There was a TON more I loved. I had to leave out Persona 5 and I love that game! MUA3 is a really fun game!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Instead of listing 5 games from each year, or even just one game for each of the years, I'll list games from the last 5 years that I consider "near perfect" These I would give a 10 on a 10 point scale. To me, there are no perfect games. So a "perfect" score is near perfect to me.

Stardew Valley
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Marvel's Spider-Man
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I am of the opinion that since I am not a game critic who has to review games right when they release, my personal “game of the year” lists are determined by what year I first played the title. It’s about the experience I had with the game and when I had it, not the release date of the game. With that being said, what I remember from those years are the following:

2017:
1. Zelda Breath Of The Wild
2. Cuphead
3. Steamworld Dig 2
4. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

2018:
1. Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus
2. Bomb Chicken

2019:
1. Gears 5
2. Sea Of Thieves
3. Link’s Awakening (Switch Remake)
4. Katana Zero
5. Borderlands 3

2020:
1. Doom Eternal
2. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
3. Ori & The Will Of The Wisps
4. The Touryst 

Game of the decade 2010 - 2020: Rocket League

Last edited by Bizwas - on 29 June 2021

Around the Network

Can I just do my top five favorite games in the past five years?

1. Mortal Kombat XL
2. Resident Evil 7
3. Doom
4. Nier Automata
5. Stardew Valley

我是广州人