By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your 5 favorite games from the last 5 years

I was going to write a post thinking "Wow, even a cynical asshole like me can come up with 5 games from the last 5 years to write about positively!"

...Then I realized you meant 5 games you liked from each year of the past 5 years. 

It's lonely on the other side 

Around the Network

I only review games I've beaten or almost beaten so here are my highest rankings from those years.

2016:

1) Stardew Valley
2) No Man's Sky
3) Batman: A TellTale Series
4) Civilization 6
5) Snakepass - 6.6/10

2017:

1) Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
2) Mario Kart 8 Delux
3) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
5) Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S

2018:
1) Celeste
2) Underhero
3) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
4) Ghost of a Tale
5) Assassin's Creed Odyssey

2019:

1) Bug Fables
2) The Outer Worlds
3) Luigi's Mansion 3
4) Darksiders Genesis
5) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch

2020:

1) Animal Crossing New Horizons
2) Hades
3) Paper Mario The Oragami King
4) Star Wars Squadrons
5) Wasteland 3

2021 - I somehow have exclusively beaten games that came out before 2021. I am working on 2021 games but haven't beaten any yet lol.

My backlog is legion and my tastes are odd so take the following with a grain of salt.

1. Persona 5 (yes, I'm using the Japanese release. 2017 is crowded enough already)
2. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
3. Doom (2016)
4. Tadpole Treble
5. Oxenfree

2017 (God, what a fantastic year for gaming)
1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Hollow Knight
3. Mario Odyssey
4. Steamworld Dig 2
5. Hat in Time
6. Doki doki Literature Club!
7. Cuphead
8. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

1. Celeste
2. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
3. The Messenger
4. Yoku's Island Express
5. The Liar Princess and Blind Prince

1. Blasphemous
2. Baba is You
3. Ring Fit Adventure
4. Gato Roboto
5. King of Cards

1. Helltaker
2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
3-5. Nothing. What a miserable year for gaming.

Not sure I can pull this off to my satisfaction, but let's try.

1. Persona 5
2. Uncharted 4
3. FFXV
4. Dragon quest Heroes 2
5. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
6. Dark Souls 3

1. Nioh
2. Dragon Quest XI
3. FFXIV: Stormblood
4. Divinity Original Sin 2
5. Kingdom Hearts 2.8

1. Monster Hunter World
2. Dynasty Warriors 9
3. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
4. Octopath Traveler
5. Super Smash Bros Ultimate

1. WoW Classic
2. Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition
3. Kingdom Hearts 3

1. Nioh 2
2. Cyberpunk 2077
3. Ghost of Tsushima
4. Crusader Kings 3
5. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV
6. FFVII Remake

I didn't realize 2019 sucked so much. I could list more games for other years, but not 2019. Luckily for WoW classic and Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition being so good. 2021 games have yet to be played.

Jaicee said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

3. West of Loathing (Switch)

Lots of good choices!

How's West of Loathing? That's another game I saw trailers for back when and thought it looked neat but just forgot about with amidst a whole bunch of other releases and never actually got.

West of Loathing is a fantastic game!  In many ways, it is how I've wished they would make RPGs for several years now (or at least 2D RPGs).  I feel like they took a decent amount of inspiration from the old LucasArts adventure games (like Monkey Island) with regards to world building and exploration.  However they made the rest of the gameplay a turn-based RPG instead of solving puzzles.  If you like the vibe of a LucasArts adventure with RPG gameplay, then I'd say you would really like it.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I was going to write a post thinking "Wow, even a cynical asshole like me can come up with 5 games from the last 5 years to write about positively!"

...Then I realized you meant 5 games you liked from each year of the past 5 years. 

It's lonely on the other side 

Hee! Well it doesn't have to be a full five games per year if you don't have that many for a given year. If you want to participate, you can just list the games that you do have for each year in your order of preference. I've just set out five as the maximum and a goal, not as a minimum.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

West of Loathing is a fantastic game!  In many ways, it is how I've wished they would make RPGs for several years now (or at least 2D RPGs).  I feel like they took a decent amount of inspiration from the old LucasArts adventure games (like Monkey Island) with regards to world building and exploration.  However they made the rest of the gameplay a turn-based RPG instead of solving puzzles.  If you like the vibe of a LucasArts adventure with RPG gameplay, then I'd say you would really like it.

That sounds awesome! I enjoyed The Secret of Monkey Island a lot back in the day. I'm thinking about that type of game made as an RPG. That definitely sounds like something I want to play.

See that's also part of the reason why I post list threads like this: it's a good way to discover more games!

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Assault Suit Leynos

Digimon Cybersleuth

Doom

Macross Delta Scramble

Yakuza 0

Nier Automata

Astebreed

Nex Machina

Xenoblade 2

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise

Xenoblade 2 Torna

Octopath Traveler

Ruiner

Spider-Man

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Devil May Cry 5

Harcore Mecha

Judgment

Xenoblade Chronicles DE

Yakuza Like a Dragon

Sakura Wars

Trials of Mana

13 Sentinels

2020 felt like a really weak year to me. The best games were remakes or sequels. Great games but not as diverse as some years. 2019 and 2017 There was a TON more I loved. I had to leave out Persona 5 and I love that game! MUA3 is a really fun game!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Instead of listing 5 games from each year, or even just one game for each of the years, I'll list games from the last 5 years that I consider "near perfect" These I would give a 10 on a 10 point scale. To me, there are no perfect games. So a "perfect" score is near perfect to me.

Stardew Valley
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Marvel's Spider-Man
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Okay so I THINK these have been my five favourite games of the last five years, although they're not ranked from best to worst or vice versa, just the first five that came to my head that I really enjoyed... I also didn't play the majority of these games until quite a while after they released, since my backlog is ridiculous lol. For example, Dark Souls III came out in 2016, but I only just played it for the first time earlier this year.

2016 - 

Final Fantasy XV
Dark Souls III
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
Overwatch
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

2017 - 

Persona 5
NieR: Automata
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh
Knack II

2018 -

God of War
Spider-Man
Dark Souls Remastered
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Shadow of the Colossus

2019 - 

Death Stranding
Resident Evil 2
MediEvil
Luigi's Mansion 3
Kingdom Hearts III

2020 -

Astro's Playroom
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Dreams**
Bugsnax

2021 - 

Haven't played anything from this year yet, unless we count Final Fantasy VII Remake again since I've played the PS5 version which did release this year, but I'm using the PS4 disc so I'd personally count it was 2020 for that (silly) reason, lol

---

**I actually bought this in Early Access in 2019, but the official release date wasn't until 2020 so I've put it there instead.