By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 30-June 5 - PS5 Sales Top 9 Million

I'm still wondering just where the PS5 would be if they could produce enough. However, would they still have the momentum/hype they have if the system was readily available.

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:

I'm still wondering just where the PS5 would be if they could produce enough. However, would they still have the momentum/hype they have if the system was readily available.

Had similar thoughts myself about both consoles. Is the lack of availability adding to it's success? I've read multiple times on this very forum about Nintendo and artificial demand to increase the allure...

Obviusly covid isn't artifical but the point is worth discussion.

curl-6 said:

PS5 has now outsold the Sega Saturn.

Wait, i thought The Saturn shipped around 10 million units.

Chicho said:
curl-6 said:

PS5 has now outsold the Sega Saturn.

Wait, i thought The Saturn shipped around 10 million units.

VGChartz has it at 8.82 million, wikipedia has it at 9.26 million.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Machina and myself did do some research on getting updated sales figures for our legacy hardware figures. At the moment we don't have the ability to update the numbers manually on the platforms total page. 

Okay, so do you have a number for the Saturn on hand, or do we know whether the current figure is accurate?

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Okay, so do you have a number for the Saturn on hand, or do we know whether the current figure is accurate?

Saturn should be at 9.26 million. We found a lot of new hardware figures across the board including platforms we don't have numbers on. I just don't know when we will be able to update the page. 

Ah, alrighty, so another week or two until PS5 passes it then, at least in graph time.

curl-6 said:

Dreamcast magazine from April 2000 had Japan 5.75M  US 1.8M Europe 1m Other 530K Total 9.08M so over 9 million for sure.

Last edited by Chicho - on 18 June 2021

So next week the PS5 passes the Dreamcast at 9.13mil according to Wikipedia.

At current rate of sales (will likely dip for a while in the next months but jump massively at Christmas time) but the Switch is heading for a 100m milestone by Christmas.

LONG LIVE THE KING.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Ah, alrighty, so another week or two until PS5 passes it then, at least in graph time.

For anyone curious here are the new figures Machina and myself found while doing some research. Once we can update the Platform Totals page. I don't know what caused it, but while sales for say the DS, Wii, etc are accurate on the VGC Pro page they are a little high on the Platform Totals page. 

New. ColecoVision (CV)
Global - 2.00

It's a shame that we will probably never know the total amount of ColecoVisions sold.  They officially passed the 2 million units sold mark in 1983.  Despite the North American video game crash, the system remained in production at Coleco until October 1985.  But, exact unit sales for 1984 and 1985 are unknown, although extrapolations have been attempted using the $ sales from Coleco's '84 and '85 Annual Reports.  It's within the realm of possibility that it managed to surpass the 3 million mark.  I've seen 6 million mentioned by a number of people on various forums and articles, but not sure where that figure derives from.  It was a great system for it's time, but released to close to the Crash unfortunately.  I have a unique attachment to it since it was my first video game system and fostered my lifelong passion for video games.