By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 30-June 5 - PS5 Sales Top 9 Million

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

Sony are known to moneyhat though, and DQ12 being an Unreal Engine 5 game doesn't suggest it's targeting Switch.

Sony usually money hats Final Fantasy, they never ever cared about Dragon Quest. Nintendo pushed Dragon Quest starting with the very first game. DQ sells mainly in Japan and making DQ XII Playstation exclusive would kill it fast. UE5 is suported by the Switch doesn't need to mean much. It only makes it unlikely that it's Switch exclusive.

That said, I expect the PS5 to sell less than 9mil, closee to 7mil in Japan.

For the moment, I'm still expecting DQ12 on PS5 plus other moneyhats and it trending ahead of PS4 to land it above its predecessor in lifetime Japanese sales.

Around the Network

When do you expect the Nintendo Switch Pro comes out? Personally, I think this September because I noticed from their latest Nintendo Direct that so many games are scheduled for September. Also, the Nintendo Light came out in September. Nintendo likes patterns... .

curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Sony usually money hats Final Fantasy, they never ever cared about Dragon Quest. Nintendo pushed Dragon Quest starting with the very first game. DQ sells mainly in Japan and making DQ XII Playstation exclusive would kill it fast. UE5 is suported by the Switch doesn't need to mean much. It only makes it unlikely that it's Switch exclusive.

That said, I expect the PS5 to sell less than 9mil, closee to 7mil in Japan.

For the moment, I'm still expecting DQ12 on PS5 plus other moneyhats and it trending ahead of PS4 to land it above its predecessor in lifetime Japanese sales.

why?

Fight-the-Streets said:

When do you expect the Nintendo Switch Pro comes out? Personally, I think this September because I noticed from their latest Nintendo Direct that so many games are scheduled for September. Also, the Nintendo Light came out in September. Nintendo likes patterns... .

If it's this year then it's September.

I think next year is very likely, considering how well the Switch is still selling.

Agente42 said:
curl-6 said:

why?

Because it's selling faster in Japan so far than PS4 did, and will most likely get mainline Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and Final Fantasy games. For me the question is more why would it slow down and sell less than PS4?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Sony has never cared about Dragon Quest, Nintendo does.

Sony are known to moneyhat though, and DQ12 being an Unreal Engine 5 game doesn't suggest it's targeting Switch.

Why is that? Unreal Engine 5 will be compatible with Switch. 

Mainline Dragon Quest has always been released on the market leader in Japan, always. They went another direction at first for DQXI but they even backtracked and made a version for 3DS for DQXI because they werent confident in the PS4 selling prowess in Japan - the game's only big market. They're not going to do the same for PS5 again. It's going to be a cross platform game.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 30

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. 

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

I doubt when a console launch affects its sales. Launch consoles are always limited by stock and demand.

Eg... just look at he Series consoles, they also launched in November and s tracking almost identically to the NS.

curl-6 said:
Agente42 said:

why?

Because it's selling faster in Japan so far than PS4 did, and will most likely get mainline Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and Final Fantasy games. For me the question is more why would it slow down and sell less than PS4?

Because the PS5 isn't going to get as many exclusive Japanese titles as the PS4.  Most Japanese games are either going to be multiplat or Switch exclusive.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Because the PS5 isn't going to get as many exclusive Japanese titles as the PS4.  Most Japanese games are either going to be multiplat or Switch exclusive.

I don't see why that would be the case, at least not to the extent that it will significantly affect sales; Sony like to moneyhat and plenty of Japanese devs have shown no reluctance to go all in on Playstation, even with the Switch dominating the market.

Mbolibombo said:
curl-6 said:

Why is that? Unreal Engine 5 will be compatible with Switch. 

Mainline Dragon Quest has always been released on the market leader in Japan, always. They went another direction at first for DQXI but they even backtracked and made a version for 3DS for DQXI because they werent confident in the PS4 selling prowess in Japan - the game's only big market. They're not going to do the same for PS5 again. It's going to be a cross platform game.

make the same mistake as DQ XI is square insanity move. Switch/Ps4/Ps5/PC/Xbox or Switch/PC is the rational way. Neither sony launch many games Ps5 only.