By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Vgchartz taking advertising too far?

MontanaHatchet said:
Radish Knight said:

Why don't use stop complaining and start blocking ads. Just download Firefox and ad block plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/10

You can also install a flash blocker to block flash ads. That way, I never see any advertisement. Internet ads suck (even though I know it's what is keeping this website free).

And then comes our next problem...

I belive it is becoming a problem for many websites that rely on ad revenue but it will become more and more widespread as more people become aware of such methods.  What will be the new thing for free websites?

Around the Network

The site deserves all the money it can get.

If you've ever done what Ioi does, you'd know it's some pretty complicated stuff that few people would do for fun. (I like it, but like i said... very few... and even I am not so much in love with all that hard work to go out of my way to find info like that.  Well i couldn't anyway since statistical programs are expensive as hell and I refuse to pirate.)

If he does get a little extra cash to pocket all the better as most people make a healthy chunk of change running that kind of thing.

My only complain are the yellow "Add to cart" buttons in the chart. They really make the chart much harder to read/follow for me because they stand out more than the game title. It would be nice if those buttons are somehow toned down or make the game titles more stand out.

ioi said:
@billy07, what is your problem?

You subscribe to NPD numbers - how much do they charge you for that? ~$100,000 is about right for a yearly subscription.

How much do we charge you for our data? $0.

Now the reason we don't charge for our data is twofold:

1. It is not accurate enough, imo, for us to sell it (yet).
2. I want to offer a different service to NPD. Think of it as McDonalds vs a gourmet restaurant, a Volkswagen Polo vs a Ferrari. Both do a similar job but one does it far better and thus can charge far more for it. You are basically saying a Polo isn't as good as a Ferrari so it has no value whatsoever??

I've actually been approached by numerous analysts to sell them data (which I could have made a killing doing) but told them I am not interested, it isn't how I want vgchartz to go. That said, I can't run vgchartz at a loss. I put a lot of hours in, have mounting costs and offer something unique - why do I not have a right to make some money from it? By doing it through advertising as opposed to charging for membership it should be of as little inconvenience and cost to you, the users, as possible. Show me a site that does not use advertisements? GAF is plastered with google ads, what services do they offer besides a forum? VG Chartz is actually about much more than just the data - over 1/3 of the monthly hits are from the forum and another 15% from the game database, 10% from user profiles. So well over half of the impressions we serve are nothing to do with the sales charts. If myspace, facebook, every forum in existance can advertise then why can't we? Take the immense overhead of putting out numbers each week out of the equation if you want to and view the site as a social networking / forum (which is why you say you are here).

As for the numbers being inaccurate - did you look at this months software vs NPD? Decent match as far as I'm concerned and actually pretty amazing all things cosidered that we even get as close as we do. You are obviously pretty ignorant to statistics and sampling to have made some of the comments you have.

So as others have stated, if you don't like the ads and you don't like the numbers then find another site to frequent.

Here Here.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Kasz216 said:
If you've ever done what Ioi does, you'd know it's some pretty complicated stuff that few people would do for fun. (I like it, but like i said... very few... and even I am not so much in love with all that hard work to go out of my way to find info like that.  Well i couldn't anyway since statistical programs are expensive as hell and I refuse to pirate.)

Aren't there free statistical programs out there? I don't know how good they are in comparison to commercial programs (neither do I know anything about statistical softwares) but there are something like R or DataPlot... 

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Around the Network
joora said:
My only complain are the yellow "Add to cart" buttons in the chart. They really make the chart much harder to read/follow for me because they stand out more than the game title. It would be nice if those buttons are somehow toned down or make the game titles more stand out.

what I said.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

joora said:
Agree

I am frankly amazed that ioi responded to this trash. I encourage him not to dignify people like this poster in the future. He was adding nothing valuable to the forum, and bitches about ads of all things to make the site look bad.

And it is more likely that I wear a top hat and monocle and swim in a vault of money like Scrooge McDuck, then this guy drops $100,000 on NPD.

To bring a site like NeoGAF into the discussion was another troll footprint.

To the discussion I would say the ads are not a problem and ioi can do whatever he wants. If ads get annoying people will go away and traffic will drop. This isn't rocket science. When it gets to the point that content only exists on the center 10% of the screen and I have floating popups I have to chase around then I will complain.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

god dam mosquito is here right now -_-

Firefox + Adblock Plus = problem solved.

'/thread