By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Vgchartz taking advertising too far?

All I have to do is click the ad and the site makes money? I was under the impression that I had to buy stuff. I'll click on an ad now if that's the case.

Around the Network

My only complaint is that the format of the site is getting a bit messed up with all the links (Add to Cart in the database, the cart symbols in the charts).

I haven't seen any ads that have annoyed me, except some of the the old ones. They were gross, and not in a charming way.

ioi said:
TheRealMafoo said:
ioi,
What I would hope you could do however, is find a way to make more money off less ads.

I'm sure every person who owns a website would love to do that - unfortunately advertisers dictate how much they want to pay and ad rates are low.

I really don't think ads are excessive on this site, we have 3-4 main ads on most pages then a few supplementary ones on longer pages like forums and the homepage. Go to Kotaku, Joystiq, Destructoid, Box Office Mojo - any other site of a similar size to ours and you'll see just as many ads. Unfortunately it is what we need to do to survive.

Do you honestly think if I could put one 10x10 pixel ad at the top of the page which generates as much revenue as the 4-5 we have at the moment that I wouldn't do it??

I am not complaining about the ads at the moment. The one I didn't like you removed (and thank you) :)

yep there are way way way way too manny adds

loi is probly makeing 20 or 30k a month from all theasse adds......

mgs4 will sell 2.4m week 1

japan:500k

others: 1m

NA:900k

AAA (90%+) games (metacritic):

nintendo:65

Xbox: 42

playstation: 98

ioi said:
You wanna be next?

I've fully explained why the ban came about - total disregard for the site. It is only for a few days and I'm sure he'll be back.

Lol you are treating a member with a ban when he is the one making the most sense.

JUST REMEMBER!!! HOW BIGGER THE SIG, HOW SMALLER THE ****

Around the Network
Edouble24 said:
All I have to do is click the ad and the site makes money? I was under the impression that I had to buy stuff. I'll click on an ad now if that's the case.

It depends on the ad.  Often all you have to do if have the ad displayed...  Sometimes clicking generates more, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes buying something may generate more.  Not all ads are the same.  Not certain about all the ads on this site (amazon's probably require a purchase), but most other ads probably generate some money per million views.

The only ads that ever bother me are the audio ones. Volume all the way up, and BAM!

Congratulations. You won blank.

Onepiece said:
ioi said:
You wanna be next?

I've fully explained why the ban came about - total disregard for the site. It is only for a few days and I'm sure he'll be back.

Lol you are treating a member with a ban when he is the one making the most sense.

Shut up or you might be next as well....lol. 

ioi said:
TheRealMafoo said:
ioi,
What I would hope you could do however, is find a way to make more money off less ads.

I'm sure every person who owns a website would love to do that - unfortunately advertisers dictate how much they want to pay and ad rates are low.

I really don't think ads are excessive on this site, we have 3-4 main ads on most pages then a few supplementary ones on longer pages like forums and the homepage. Go to Kotaku, Joystiq, Destructoid, Box Office Mojo - any other site of a similar size to ours and you'll see just as many ads. Unfortunately it is what we need to do to survive.

Do you honestly think if I could put one 10x10 pixel ad at the top of the page which generates as much revenue as the 4-5 we have at the moment that I wouldn't do it??

Most ads are paid per view. Pay per click ads don't tend to do well these days since people rarely click. Pay per view ads work by putting images and logos around, increasing awareness so many companies go for this approach but they pay fairly low per view but when you get lots of views they perform better than the per click stuff which doesn't do well at all (google adsense is useless and i have tried it many times in different ways).

Don't go clicking on loads of ads - that will just result in us getting banned from ad networks and make things worse!!

As has been said before, this Amazon store could more than support vgchartz if enough people used it. Similarly, I am negotiating with publishers some high-paying videogame stuff in the near future which should work better on the site.

I guess this means I'll be making my next purchase from there.  Out of curiosity, is vgchartz your full time job, or something you do on the side?

For what it's worth, I've bought a few things through the Amazon store already and will continue to do so in the future. I'd much rather support your site that way! :)

And just an FYI, if you have any amazon pre-orders, they can be canceled at any time. I canceled my pre-order of the next Futurama movie and re-ordered it through the store, every little bit helps, right?