By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Vgchartz taking advertising too far?

Even if NPD may have a larger sample size and be more accurate, it will never compare to vgchartz in my opinion because I don't like waiting until practically May to hear about March's numbers. The weekly updates were one of the things that attracted me to this site.

As for the ads, it's an extremely small price to pay for the service, and I have never once thought that they were excessive.

Around the Network

:( Another harsh ban... I can understand ioi that you don't like what That guy said but banning him till 30th April is way to harsh..

ioi said:
I said in a previous thread that anyone who boasts "Well I use adblock so there" will be banned. I can't stop you using it - your choice - but boasting about it like you are getting one up on the site is just plain disrespectful.

This is the first time i am hearing this, put it in forum rules please.  It is a widely used program and it isn't like it is illegal so it should be in the rules.

ioi said:
I said in a previous thread that anyone who boasts "Well I use adblock so there" will be banned. I can't stop you using it - your choice - but boasting about it like you are getting one up on the site is just plain disrespectful.

1) You think everyone knows about that?  Saying 'they should' is a simple excuse for this ban because you know that not everyone did it.

2)  Couldn't you edit his post +  Warn him   OR give him a one day ban?

I don't know the history of That guy but he looks like a person who always acted like a good member (especially not a worse one like me).  I am sure if you warned him he will never did it again..

And do that more and people will really feel offended by it and just spam the forums;

My opinion and you don't have to agree with me of course :).

konnichiwa said:
:( Another harsh ban... I can understand ioi that you don't like what That guy said but banning him till 30th April is way to harsh..

You think that is bad, he permabanned radish knight for the same thing.  Talk about unequality, but it is his site so even though it is unethical it is his right.  Guess even the site owner can be biased.

Around the Network
DKII said:

We are always looking into other advertising options but things have been a little hectic here lately. Rest assured we do not need you lecturing us on what we should or shouldn't do.

Actualy, you should take any information your customers (us) have to say about your site. The more of us you have, the better your advertising dollars become. To discredit us as "usless data points" will lead to not having any ;)

Auron said:
ioi said:

This is the first time i am hearing this, put it in forum rules please. It is a widely used program and it isn't like it is illegal so it should be in the rules.

Auron.  there is a thread called...UPDATE NEW FORUM RULES READ IT!!  I think ioi mentioned it there. (not sure).

konnichiwa said:
Auron said:
ioi said:

This is the first time i am hearing this, put it in forum rules please. It is a widely used program and it isn't like it is illegal so it should be in the rules.

Auron. there is a thread called...UPDATE NEW FORUM RULES READ IT!! I think ioi mentioned it there. (not sure).

Ok but it is still not in the official forum rules, new poster won't go searching for a topic for what the site owner says in a post, the official rules are what people will look at.

ioi said:

I'm getting pretty fed up with this thread anyway so it'll likely be locked unless we have any constructive comments from anybody

And you don't think that users will get fed up with a ban like that?

You really shocked me ioi you really do...

ioi,
I have made comments about the ads. I think what you are doing here is great. I have become addicted to this site (like so many others), and I hope you make a good living off of it. What I would hope you could do however, is find a way to make more money off less ads.

I think the one that bothered me was when it was in the middle of the forums list. That seemed excessive. As popular as this site is, you would think advertising space would be valuable.

Also, don't you get paid by the click, or the view? There has to be a point where adding more advertising drives off enough people where the money you make becomes less.

Anyway, I don't think anyone cares that you put adds up, just please try to keep it under 5-6 a page please. That's all I ask :)