By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

Welcome everyone to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread. This thread is a place for everyone to discuss the latest VGChartz monthly Sales Comparison articles for the month of May 2021. Everyone is welcome to post monthly articles I haven't done so yet.  You can view the ones currently posted here

Previous months:

You can read the complete first article and analysis here:

Welcome to the latest edition of the ‘Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Worldwide’ article. This series compares the monthly and lifetime retail sales of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

Looking at the total sales of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch through May 2021 shows how the Switch has been consistently gaining on the lifetime PS4 sales and growing its lead over the Xbox One. The PS4 is ahead of the Switch by 29.32 million units and the Xbox One by 65.5 million units. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox One by 36.20 million

The PS4 is 3.03 million units away from outselling the Game Boy, which sold 118.69 million units lifetime. The Switch has outsold the Xbox 360, which sold 85.80 million units lifetime. The Switch is 1.08 million units away from outselling the PlayStation 3, which sold 87.41 million units lifetime.

The Switch passed the 86 million mark. The PS4 has sold 115.65 million units lifetime, the Switch 86.33 million units, and the Xbox One 50.13 million.

Looking at the marketshare, the PlayStation 4 currently leads. The PlayStation 4 has a 45.9 percent market share, the Switch sits at 34.2 percent, and the Xbox One at 19.9 percent.

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 115,647,633

Switch Total Sales: 86,325,310

Xbox One Total Sales: 50,126,143

During the month of May 2021, the Switch outsold the PlayStation 4 by 1.46 million units for the month and the Xbox One by 1.53 million units. The PlayStation 4 outsold the Xbox One by 70,664 units.

When you compare monthly sales to a year ago, all three consoles are down. The Nintendo Switch is down 629,989 units (-28.4%), the PlayStation 4 is down 792,161 units (-85.9%) and the Xbox One is down 344,308 units (-85.4%).

Looking at the marketshare, the Switch managed to achieve 89.4 percent of the monthly sales. The PlayStation 4 accounted for 7.3 percent of the consoles sold, and the Xbox One 3.3 percent.

PlayStation 4 Monthly Sales: 129,668

Switch Monthly Sales: 1,589,133

Xbox One Monthly Sales: 59,004

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Switch launched three years and four months later in March 2017.

As a reminder, VGChartz tracks consoles sold to consumers and not units shipped.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Switch is rapidly heading up toward that almost flat PS4 line.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch is rapidly heading up toward that almost flat PS4 line.

Switch will most likely surpass the PS4 in fall 2022. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 187,722 - PS5

Total Lead: 447,292 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 8,803,268

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 8,355,976

May 2021 is the seventh month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 187,722 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 447,292 units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 8.80 million units in seven months, while the PlayStation 4 sold 8.36 million units. Month seven for the PlayStation 5 is May 2021 and for the PlayStation 4 is May 2014.

The PlayStation 4 crossed 10 million units sold in month 10, 20 million in month 17, and 30 million in month 25. The PlayStation 4 has sold 115.65 million units to date.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 244,450 – XSX|S

Total Lead: 783,308 – XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 5,217,300

Xbox One Total Sales: 4,433,992

May 2021 is the seventh month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 244,450 units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 783,308 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 5.22 million units in seven months, while the Xbox One sold 4.43 million units. Month seven for the Xbox Series X|S is May 2021 and for the Xbox One is May 2014.

The Xbox One crossed 10 million units sold in month 14, 20 million in month 30, and 30 million in month 48. The Xbox One has sold 50.13 million units to date.

Around the Network

Encouraging to see XS trending ahead of Xbone even with shortages, hopefully the Xbox brand can recover some of its mojo this gen. Halo and other big first party games can't come soon enough.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 557,838 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 11,285,968 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,388,469 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 86,323,860

Wii Total Sales: 82,935,391

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch grew its lead by 557,838 units when compared to the launch aligned sales of the Wii. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 11.29 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the Wii by 3.39 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021 and for the Wii it is January 2011. The Switch has sold 86.32 million units, while the Wii sold 82.94 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii reached current Switch sales in month 57 where it sold 86.83 million units.

The Wii sold 101.63 million units worldwide during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 15.31 million units to outsell the Wii.

Well, that's it, Wii's last really huge months are over, from here on out Switch will gain non-stop until it overtakes.
The Wii put up a valiant fight, but even Nintendo's highest selling dedicated console proved no match for the power of the Switch.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 436,117 - PS5

Total Lead: 3,583,174 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 8,800,474

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 5,217,300

May 2021 is the seventh month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 436,117 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 3.68 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 8.80 million units in six months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 5.22 million units.

The PlayStation 5 is currently 447,292 units ahead of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 783,308 units.

Would have been interesting to see how much the PS5 and Xbox Series could sell without shortages.