By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

Switch is rapidly heading up toward that almost flat PS4 line.

Around the Network

Encouraging to see XS trending ahead of Xbone even with shortages, hopefully the Xbox brand can recover some of its mojo this gen. Halo and other big first party games can't come soon enough.

Well, that's it, Wii's last really huge months are over, from here on out Switch will gain non-stop until it overtakes.
The Wii put up a valiant fight, but even Nintendo's highest selling dedicated console proved no match for the power of the Switch.

Would have been interesting to see how much the PS5 and Xbox Series could sell without shortages.

MS are going to have to get aggressive if they XS to sell more than half of what PS5 does lifetime.

Around the Network

So Switch is 10 months ahead of PS4 in aligned sales, with plenty of room for price cuts and revisions and big games like BOTW2, Pokemon Legends, and Splatoon 3 still upcoming. Now that PS4's holiday season is gone the lead will start to widen again too.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 June 2021

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

So Switch is 10 months ahead of PS4 in aligned sales, with plenty of room for price cuts and revisions and big games like BOTW2, Pokemon Legends, and Splatoon 3 still upcoming. Now that PS4's holiday season is gone the lead will start to widen again too.

When do you think the Switch will outsell the PS4? I'm thinking holiday 2022.

I'm leaning that way as well, yeah. Unless some monumental unforeseen events occurs to either boost or cripple it.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I'm leaning that way as well, yeah. Unless some monumental unforeseen events occurs to either boost or cripple it.

I'm expecting sales for the rest of this year to be similar or down slightly compared to last year, then sales to go down a bit more in 2022. Though, it depends on the lineup of games, promotions, and if we will finally see a price cut or not. 

Yeah they don't seem to have any real system sellers for the rest of this year unfortunately, but there's always the rumored Pro revision to stir things up, and games like Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, and possibly BOTW2 to keep sales high in 2022.

Well, looking at those charts, it's pretty clear that Switch will outsell the PS4. Maybe even by a respectable lead.

The only thing that could stop it would be a new console from Nintendo next year. And I don't think that's going to happen, since we have some big titles coming in 2022, like Splatoon 3 and the BotW sequel.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah they don't seem to have any real system sellers for the rest of this year unfortunately, but there's always the rumored Pro revision to stir things up, and games like Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, and possibly BOTW2 to keep sales high in 2022.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes are the biggest confirmed games for this holiday. While Metroid fans are excited for Dread, the series has never been that popular compared to other Nintendo franchises. 

I'm still holding out for Mario Odyssey 2 (or possibly a Galaxy 3 or 64 2.)

Yeah I don't think the Diamond/Pearl remakes will be system sellers as they're remakes of old games, low effort ones at that, and the Pokémon fanbase seems to already be on board by now. Switch will cruise out the rest of the year on its evergreen catalogue, which is enough for it to sell well, but I think hopes of a 30 million year are over.