By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - epic games wont ever make games for the wii

disolitude said:
Thank you Mike from epic for saying what most dont have the balls to say.

Instead of moving your thumb to great graphics, you move your wrist to last gen graphics. Woo-frickin-doo.

The only thing I find wii fun for lately is the voting channel.

That could be true, except if you have been having fun with games like Army of Two, and hated the latest itterations of games on the Wii, then I have serious doubts about you actually owning one.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
disolitude said:
Thank you Mike from epic for saying what most dont have the balls to say.

Instead of moving your thumb to great graphics, you move your wrist to last gen graphics. Woo-frickin-doo.

The only thing I find wii fun for lately is the voting channel.

That could be true, except if you have been having fun with games like Army of Two, and hated the latest itterations of games on the Wii, then I have serious doubts about you actually owning one.

Here is my opinion about army of 2. 6th post...

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=22454 

Lately I have had fun with Condemned 2,Viking, Devil May Cry 4 and Rock Band on the 360. And on the wii I've had a blast with house of dead 2/3 for 3 hours and smash brothers for a few days. Looking towards the future, 9 out of 10 games I will buy next will be on the 360 and PS3 (mgs4). So yeah, I stand by my statement...

Vertigo-X said:

I'm waiting for id Software to try out some thing on Wii. I'd be really interested, myself, in trying a Quake 3 type game on it! =D

On topic: It doesn't surprise me; Epic is an engine company first, game company second. They make the engines so that their games can show them off. They make the real money with the engine technology. id Software was the same way ten years ago.

EDIT:

alpha_dk said:
Meh, I'll keep playing the only UT game worth playing. It's lasted me 9 years now, I would be very surprised if it doesn't last me another 9.

I tried playing UT2k3 and UT2k4, and neither of them was as much fun as UT99... sure, they may have had prettier graphics, but some of the magic was lost.

Although I will say there is a certain Valve game that may eventually replace UT99 as my multiplayer FPS of choice.

Pfft, Quake 3 is better. Come to the disciples of Quake 3, you corrupt UT-loving dog!

Epic Win (see what I did there?)

Q3 is a very good game; however, it has not had nearly the staying power (for me) as UT did.  I feel part of that is probably that Q4 was better than UT2k3, and yet not as good as Q3, so while I went back to UT99 almost right after 2k3, and 2k4 only lasted a bit longer, by the time I was done with Q4 i didn't really want to go back to Q3.  I still will pull it out for a LAN every once in a while, but much prefer UT99 for the most part.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

That is unfortunate for both Wii gamers who would buy their games (yes they exist contrary to Epic's beliefs) and for Epic themselves since they are losing out on easy money. Oh well I guess.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

Epic are a bunch of graphic whores.

Around the Network
ugg1020 said:
That is unfortunate for both Wii gamers who would buy their games (yes they exist contrary to Epic's beliefs) and for Epic themselves since they are losing out on easy money. Oh well I guess.

There is a much earlier article from last year with Mark Rein. This should explain it all without causing fumes with the Wii owners. Please read this because this has got out of hand. Before you decide to hate Epic then read this.

Not everyone is planning on riding Nintendo's money-printing coattails. In an interview with GameTrailers (embedded above), Epic Games Vice President Mark Rein stated that, as he has on multiple occasions before, that the Unreal and Gears of War developer has no intention on providing middleware support for the Wii.

Rein cited resource concerns, saying that the company is more focused on pushing the limits of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Interestingly, Rein also commented how making Wii graphics engines is not that profitable. "I think unless you're going to sell your engine to Nintendo, you're going for scraps on that platform," he said.

That point has been brought up before, how developers are not interested, and possibly lazy, in developing for the Wii platform and that their budgets for that platform are pretty low. However, from the perspective of a game developer, perhaps Epic could find a way to convert Unreal Tournament 2004 onto Nintendo's platform. The software alone would be profitable, we imagine, and then they'd have Unreal Engine 2 to license out.

Update: As it has been pointed out in the comments below, some Wii titles such as Red Steel do utilize Unreal Engine 2 -- optimized for the GameCube (keep the jokes to yourself, for now). However, we'd be interested to see Epic take the engine an optimize for the Wii's hardware upgrade.

Also, some people seem to be confused by Rein's profit comment. The profits for Epic wouldn't come from game sales but from licensing out the engine. Since most developers don't focus on the graphical prowess of their Wii titles, Epic would not be able to charge much for their engine -- hence why Rein doesn't feel the Wii would be a profitable venture for them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/05/epic-still-not-supporting-wii/

and for Epic themselves since they are losing out on easy money.

Why is anyone here thinking that Epic could make money on the Wii?

Epic is making beautiful Graphic engines and shooters.

1. Non party third-party games on the Wii are not exactly blowing of the roof in regard of sales.
2. FPS on the Wii are selling like mud
3. The current Unreal engine is defined by awesome effects and lighting by extensive use of current shader architecture.

I think Epic knows that this is not their place. So badmouthing it may not be a bad business decision.

In other words, this guy has been a long term Wii hater from the start, and is only reitterating his point. He hated the Wii since it was announced, and the whole "nobody plays the virus" thing is just a result of his anti-Wii hate, a lie, and not a result of his actual experience, because that would be too great of a coincidence.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Epic are a bunch of graphic whores.

Exactly that is what they are making money with.

Has anyone done any research on this. They don't see it as profitable for what they as a company are doing. End of story.

The big games on the Wii that make money are the Nintendo ones, everyone else is just getting scraps. On the 360 Gears is their killer app, on the Wii they would have take a step back and fight for scraps. It's really quite simple.