By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - epic games wont ever make games for the wii

Wii sports is more like a Multiplayer game, so the price tag is correct

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:
My first language =/= ur first language, so theres no way.

I still stand by my opinion. GoW was too short to be considered a full priced game.

*cough* Wii Sports *cough*

I assume your point is that GoW's strength was multiplayer replayability, because Wii Sports doesn't even have a campaign mode, yet I've logged more hours with it than any other game in my collection.

@Rol

I'm not sure about Wii Sport's retail price in Japan, but the difference in price between an Asian Wii w/o Sports and an NA Wii with it is $25-30.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

BCNR34 said:
Untouch said:
BCNR34 said:
i like how now that epic has come out and said the wii is trash, now all the wii fanboys decide they hate epic. what a coincidence.

If some guy on the forums said PS3 was horrible you'd be all over them.

:)

yes....and?

not quite sure how these things are related...

i'm a sony fanboy and i know it

the point is, i never heard wii fanboys complaining about epic before this thread, and now all of a sudden, everyone hates them!

what a surprise.

Why would anyone talk about Epic otherwise?

"Hi, how are you? By the way I hate Epic"

Right.

DMeisterJ said:
RolStoppable said:
DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:

I still stand by my opinion. GoW was too short to be considered a full priced game.

For how much does Wii Sports retail for again?

In Japan? Full price.

duh...of course it's full price

Legend11 said:
superchunk said:
yeah, right.

So when Wii has near 100m (2009/2010) and are nearing 60% market share. Epic will choose PS360/PC only. hahaha. Not unless they are getting big kicks from MSony.

Does anyone really think the casuals fueling the Wii's growth, you know the ones that are buying it solely for Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Wii Cheerleading or whatever are suddenly going to start buying games like Gears of War? At the end of the day the hardcore gamers on Wii will very likely never even come close to matching that of the PS3/360/PC and those are the gamers that Epic is targeting.

Add to that the fact that Epic is already making money off those systems and finds them extremely lucrative especially with licensing of their game engine to many developers on those platforms. It would be the same as basically saying that Blizzard will be forced to make Wii games because of the Wii's future installed base, even though they're already doing very well with their current platform.

When will this little fantasy of PS360 girls and boys end? Wii only has soccor moms and grandparents who only buy Wii Sports/Play/Fit...bah it sucks...bah hardcore, i.e. real, gamers are on ps360's...bah I'm a 15-25 yr old male who can only play shooting games.... bah stupid gay dog he he he.

Seriously, when will that irrational and plain wrong logic end? When the Wii reaches 100m units sold? When the attach rate is higher than all the others? When these 'hardcore' games, i.e. shooters, come out for Wii enmasse and are selling at higher rates than PS360 versions?

Epic is stupid and shortsighted. You don't have to see the hair on your character's chinny chin chin to make a good game.  Sure its a nice add-on, but great realistic graphics are just that, ADD-ONS. I really hope Conduit is a AAA title that proves once and for all a ground up Wii 'hardcore' title belongs on Wii as much as Wii Cheer does.

What made the PS2 great? Was it Final Fantasy series, GTA series, or the hordes of games similar to mySims. I'd say it was all of them. It will be the same for Wii.

Your second paragraph is the real reason Epic won't focus on Wii. Their engines aren't marketed towards it. However, in their ignorance they have failed to see the great potential that the makers of Conduit are attempting to be profitable from. Take their Unreal Engine and do whatever it takes to push the Wii. That would be a hugely populer tool. Then developers could make Wii/PS360 games on a far cheaper budget and hit the best of both worlds. The massive userbase Wii will have and the HD market. Win Win.

Around the Network
trestres said:
Wii sports is more like a Multiplayer game, so the price tag is correct

Gears of War doesn't have a multiplayer mode?

Weird, what the hell have I been playing all these months?

Lol DmeisterJ, you've been playing GoW multiplayer since it came out!! WOW you must buy some games once in a while, just a friendly advice.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Legend11 said:
superchunk said:
yeah, right.

So when Wii has near 100m (2009/2010) and are nearing 60% market share. Epic will choose PS360/PC only. hahaha. Not unless they are getting big kicks from MSony.

Does anyone really think the casuals fueling the Wii's growth, you know the ones that are buying it solely for Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Wii Cheerleading or whatever are suddenly going to start buying games like Gears of War? At the end of the day the hardcore gamers on Wii will very likely never even come close to matching that of the PS3/360/PC and those are the gamers that Epic is targeting.

Add to that the fact that Epic is already making money off those systems and finds them extremely lucrative especially with licensing of their game engine to many developers on those platforms. It would be the same as basically saying that Blizzard will be forced to make Wii games because of the Wii's future installed base, even though they're already doing very well with their current platform.

I don't think "hardcore gamer" is the right term here, Legend, because I think there are a ton of "hardcore" gamers that would buy Zelda and Mario but have no interest in Gears of War, just as there are "hardcore" gamers that would buy Gears of War but not Mario or Zelda.

As I already posted, I absolutely agree that Epic is almost the exact opposite of what works on the Wii. That's not a matter of being "hardcore," whatever that term means, it's a specific demographic difference -- I strongly suspect that the audience for a game like Gears of War heavily, heavily tilts towards young males who prefer M titles.

That's it, actually. That's precisely how I'd put it. Enthusiast gamers who prefer M titles will likely greatly prefer the 360 or PS3 over the Wii, and it just so happens that Epic makes M rated titles for the enthusiast gamer. Ergo, I totally agree the PS360 is the better platform for them. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

trestres said:
Lol DmeisterJ, you've been playing GoW multiplayer since it came out!! WOW you must buy some games once in a while, just a friendly advice.

Way to dodge your ownage.

It was a figure of speech.  I haven't played Gears in about a year.

DMeisterJ said:
RolStoppable said:
DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:

For how much does Wii Sports retail for again?

In Japan?  Full price - $10.

Fixed.........it's 1000 japanese yen cheaper when it's regular priced (right now about $17 cheaperon amazon.jp thanks to a sale).