By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Previous Generation Console Have Gone Up

WiiU homebrew community is an absolute fire ATM. Not sure would it justify the price.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
JackHandy said:

My hypothesis is that it's probably a result of people (particularly in the case of Wii-U) thinking they're going to stockpile a bunch of these things and then make bank in five or ten years when these consoles are no longer in stores. They're hedging their bets on people's adherence to nostalgia. That and scarcity. 

What does Xbox one and ps4 offer? PS5 can do everything PS4 can , ps4 and ps5 console will be obsolete to PS6 like xbox one and Xbox series to next gen Xbox.

Right. There isn't much logical sense in owning a PS4 if the PS5 can play its games. I agree. But collectors are a difference breed and want to own things for different reasons than people who just want to use their consoles to play. Also, like I said, nostalgia. There will be a whole slew of twenty-somethings, ten years from now, who will look at a PS4 as their "childhood". And it's those people who the hoarders and scalpers are banking on when they buy up all these boxed consoles. 

Mar1217 said:

Because the WiiU is the only place where you can play Xenoblade Chronicles X of course :)

Xenoblade Chronicles X on PC at 1440p, 144fps.

It really is the ducks nuts, the clarity and smoothness over my WiiU copy is night and day.

Leynos said:
chakkra said:

Are you sure about that?

Legally and physically. Yes.

Good thing Emulation itself isn't illegal (Varies by region of course) and I can use my physical copy on PC.

dx11332sega said:
JackHandy said:

My hypothesis is that it's probably a result of people (particularly in the case of Wii-U) thinking they're going to stockpile a bunch of these things and then make bank in five or ten years when these consoles are no longer in stores. They're hedging their bets on people's adherence to nostalgia. That and scarcity. 

What does Xbox one and ps4 offer? PS5 can do everything PS4 can , ps4 and ps5 console will be obsolete to PS6 like xbox one and Xbox series to next gen Xbox.

Since I skipped the Playstation 4... I am backtracking PS4 games on my PS5.

But the Xbox One X has been relegated to DVD player duties in the bedroom once I got the Xbox Series X.

Xbox One though can do Kinect if that floats your boat... Otherwise the Series X ultimately feels like an Xbox One X Pro and the Playstation 5 feels like a Playstation 4 Pro X2 in my opinion. - That might change as games eventually release that might make the new hardware actually seem like a visual leap over 8th gen devices.
Last edited by Pemalite - on 26 May 2021

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

JackHandy said:
dx11332sega said:

Right. There isn't much logical sense in owning a PS4 if the PS5 can play its games. I agree. But collectors are a difference breed and want to own things for different reasons than people who just want to use their consoles to play. Also, like I said, nostalgia. There will be a whole slew of twenty-somethings, ten years from now, who will look at a PS4 as their "childhood". And it's those people who the hoarders and scalpers are banking on when they buy up all these boxed consoles. 

I think it is hard to think a collector would wait for the consoles being discontinued to start buying, and well that shouldn`t drive the price up so much since there aren`t that many collectors compared to almost 120M PS4 sold.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I would sell my PS4, but my gamepad is damaged, and my local store won't accept the console without a working gamepad. It's a shame because if I did sell the console now, I'd almost recieve as much money as I spent back when I purchased the console during Nov 2016.

Around the Network
NyanNyanNekoChan said:

I would sell my PS4, but my gamepad is damaged, and my local store won't accept the console without a working gamepad. It's a shame because if I did sell the console now, I'd almost recieve as much money as I spent back when I purchased the console during Nov 2016.

Buy an used gamepad them sell the console with it. Or try to repair your gamepad.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

curl-6 said:
JackHandy said:

While I understand the reasoning behind it, it does feel strange when you're playing a game one a modern HDTV and it looks far worse. There's this moment of weird disconnect where you're like, wait... why did we think liquid displays were better again? When a TV that was manufactured in 1999 looks and performs better than a TV made in 2021, something is wrong. Clearly, the people designing these things didn't take any of this into consideration.

Yeah, it is strange; we've effectively traded in responsiveness and that soft smoothness of the image for sharpness it seems.

Digital Foundry did an interesting piece on it: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-modern-games-look-beautiful-on-crt-monitors

Speaking of older games, before I even knew what framerate was I used to switch quite happily between Starfox at 15fps and Mario at 60fps on my SNES. I think the first game that ever made me really notice framerate was Banjo Tooie, and that shit was extremely inconsistent and it was more the fluctuation I noticed when it would go into almost slow motion.

I have no idea why prices are high. It was just a guess. But if you look at Ebay for sealed retro consoles, you'll see what I'm talking about. So it wouldn't surprise me to find out the reason these prices are going up is because supply is quickly running out, and the hoarders/resellers are going at it like festering sharks.