By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think of Russia ?

I'm cutting off the quote pillar, because it's really annoying to edit it.

I'm aware of the American tendency to show some of their bleaker moments in a better light, and it's really common for winners of a war to rewrite/reinterpret history (The treaty of Versailles is a good example of this). My point wasn't really to lambast the Russians for being in denial about their own past - Rewriting history is almost always a bad thing, regardless of who is doing it - be it the Russians, Americans, Nazis, the Welsh, or anyone else.

I'm also aware of Russia's sudden urge to boost their military spending, and the debate about joining Nato. It also happens quite often here in Finland, where the majority of the population is also opposed to joining it - nevertheless, the current Central-Right wing government is determined to eventually push Finland into joining up. And the Russian politicians always get their panties in a twist whenever the subject of Nato is even brought up in Finland.

But even if Putin's Russia suddenly developed expansionist tendencies, they can't really act upon them. As much as Europe needs Russian gas and oil, Russia is equally dependent of the Europe's money. Thus, they can't really screw around too much without risking their trade relations with the EU.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network
Mise said:
I'm cutting off the quote pillar, because it's really annoying to edit it.

I'm aware of the American tendency to show some of their bleaker moments in a better light, and it's really common for winners of a war to rewrite/reinterpret history (The treaty of Versailles is a good example of this). My point wasn't really to lambast the Russians for being in denial about their own past - Rewriting history is almost always a bad thing, regardless of who is doing it - be it the Russians, Americans, Nazis, the Welsh, or anyone else.

I'm also aware of Russia's sudden urge to boost their military spending, and the debate about joining Nato. It also happens quite often here in Finland, where the majority of the population is also opposed to joining it - nevertheless, the current Central-Right wing government is determined to eventually push Finland into joining up. And the Russian politicians always get their panties in a twist whenever the subject of Nato is even brought up in Finland.

But even if Putin's Russia suddenly developed expansionist tendencies, they can't really act upon them. As much as Europe needs Russian gas and oil, Russia is equally dependent of the Europe's money. Thus, they can't really screw around too much without risking their trade relations with the EU.

And many more will eventually folow ...

Also , how much is a nation able to live without energy ? Im certain that we will never end up in a Russia vs. the world or Russia vs. the USA situation ever in the history of humanity ( or at least hope so ) but a violent expansion could allways become a reality ..... but Im going to far now :)

In another take , should we really be surprised why Russian politicians get anxious when another state joins the Nato . Their only alliance is formed with 9 other small ex-soviet countryes ( CIS ? Though nee to check the actual name and number :P ) , while the NATO has over 2 dozen of member states , and with pretty big ones like France , Germany etc. Withe the NATOS expansion Russia is loosing from its power and of course they dont like it ;)

Edit : checked the CIS facts :) 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that Russians are wary of Nato's expansion almost to the point of paranoia - after the Warsaw Pact folded along with the USSR, Russia hasn't really been a governing member of any influential military alliances. The problem would be solved if Russia joined up - but they'll never be a part of Nato unless they'll get a position equal to US, and US will never agree to that, so there you go.

IMO it would be better that Europe would build a military alliance of its own and discarded Nato entirely. Although that would never fly with both the US and Russia, since the last thing either wants to see is a strong, independent, unified EU. Oh well.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

i love this country,i swere,

Mise said:
I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that Russians are wary of Nato's expansion almost to the point of paranoia - after the Warsaw Pact folded along with the USSR, Russia hasn't really been a governing member of any influential military alliances. The problem would be solved if Russia joined up - but they'll never be a part of Nato unless they'll get a position equal to US, and US will never agree to that, so there you go.

IMO it would be better that Europe would build a military alliance of its own and discarded Nato entirely. Although that would never fly with both the US and Russia, since the last thing either wants to see is a strong, independent, unified EU. Oh well.

True , Europe as a cultural and economical world center should have its own military alliance , and IMO Russia might actually join it if , as you say it would be given as leading role ( for which it should fight with the UK / France maybe Germany ) . Yes , Russia will never get into the NATO alliance , and the reason is the one you mentione , but if the EU would take a more independent position from the US , than who knows what could happen ...

Maybe if they would try and focuse even more on their ex-soviet relations , and then go for solid Eurasian  connections , maybe than they could get a military alliance as big as NATO ( with all the small Asian , and West European countryes , maybe some middle-east connections , who knows ? ) which again would be good , because IMO it wouldent be a good thing if the NATO would rise as the world leading #1 military power . We all know a monopolyum of any form is not good :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

how about my links?

ziss said:
how about my links?

I enjoyed your links. Very lovely girls. 

I think that the Russian people have never know political freedom for more than 12 months in a row.

omg, you realy think so?  "political freedom" did you think in US or another country not the same things?

I enjoyed your links. Very lovely girls. 

nice!

our girls the best in the world!