By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Starfield Rumours (now Q4 2022)

Expectant release date?

Holiday 2021 (anything is possible!) 2 8.00%

1st Half 2022 6 24.00%

2nd Half 2022 7 28.00%

2023 10 40.00%

Total:25
Leynos said:
Otter said:

The guys who made Fallout and Elderscrolls are making a new IP in space, for fans of either series that is more than enough to be excited for. 

Those games are kinda shitty and glitch fests that don't do anything new.  Fallout 4 sucks. Fallout 76 sucks.

So you're not a fan of either series, explains the indifference. It'd be like running into a naughty dog thread to question why people are excited for their next project lol 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I don't trust Schreier's claims on this one.

• He's going against about 6 other insiders who all believed it was Holiday 2021 until a recent delay pushed it to Q1-Q2 2022. He is the only insider claiming it's late 2022 currently, the others all think it is early 2022 now, with 1 still claiming it is Holiday 2021.
  • He says to look to the credits to back up his claims that Starfield's dev team was tiny for the first 3 years of development, so I did, and it looks to me like the Fallout 76 core dev team is smaller than he thinks it was, meaning that the Starfield core dev team was larger than he thinks it was during those first 3 years. Quite alot of the Bethesda Game Studios devs on the Fallout 76 credits were listed as providing assistance, rather than being core devs, and if they were only providing assistance, that likely means that they were switching back and forth between assisting the Starfield core team and the Fallout 76 core team as needed during those years. 
  • Bethesda is able to do alot more than most AAA devs can with alot fewer devs. Here is the size of the core dev teams for Bethesda's 4 most recent singleplayer RPG's (Oblivion 70 devs, Fallout 3  80 devs, Skyrim 100 devs, Fallout 4  130 devs). Yes, that is correct, Bethesda made Skyrim, a game with over 150 hours of content, with just 100 core devs, in only 3 years). Starfield by comparison will have likely had a core dev team growing from around 50-90 devs over the course of the first 3 years of development, plus some assistance during those first 3 years, shooting up to over 180 core devs after Fallout 76 released, and is likely around 220 core devs currently, with other BGS teams and other Zenimax Studios providing assistance as needed. Starfield then has more developers working on it than any previous singleplayer Bethesda game, by quite some considerable margin, and has about 2 years more development time than any previous Bethesda game. With a March-April 2022 release, Starfield would have a grand total of 6 years and 4-5 months of development, with a core dev team size growing from about 50 devs to probably 250 devs over the course of those 6 years and 4 months. A delay to Q4 2022 just seems unlikely.  

From my experience I'll put his credibility above the other insiders tbh. The rest is just hopeful thinking and speculation on our side, we don't actually know anything about the team size on the game at specific points in time or any internal development changes etc.

In game dev terms, a window of fall 2021-fall 2022 is not that big. No one would question a fall 2022 release date if it wasnt for recent rumours of it coming this year. Those rumours may well have been jumping the gun but we'll soon find out 

Otter said:
Leynos said:

Those games are kinda shitty and glitch fests that don't do anything new.  Fallout 4 sucks. Fallout 76 sucks.

So you're not a fan of either series, explains the indifference. It'd be like running into a naughty dog thread to question why people are excited for their next project lol 

When you know so little it's kinda dumb to get hyped. Cyberpunk 2077 says hi! Remember Anthem? Mass Effect Andromeda. Fallout 76. People overhype AAA games on a crumb. Maybe all you tasted was the peanut from a big old pile of shit. ND will show more than a logo.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Multiple sources say 2021, some say early 22, some say late...

I'm thinking it'll release (calendar) q1 22

shikamaru317 said:
the-pi-guy said:

The credits page list about 300 devs on Fallout 76.  Out of 400+ at BGS.

It's true you can do a lot without too many developers, but expectations are higher and it is requiring more developers to make things look better.

I took the time to go through the whole list and count them all. Roughly 200 BGS devs are listed for core positions, the rest are listed for additional work, such as additional programming, additional art, etc, assistance devs in other words, not core devs. Based on Bethesda's size and growth during those years, I would estimate that the Starfield team started around 50 core devs in late 2015 when Todd Howard said that Starfield began active development, growing to around 100 core devs by late 2018 when Fallout 76 released, with the same assistance devs who assisted on Fallout 76 also assisting on Starfield (meaning they were going back and forth assisting on both projects as needed).

So a good amount of development should have gotten done in those first 3 years, and Todd Howard said in an E3 2018 interview, about 2 and a half years after active development began, that Starfield was already in a playable state at that point. Then for the next 3 years of development, from 2019-2021, we're looking at roughly 180-220 core devs on Starfield as the 4 Bethesda studios continued to expand during the last few years, a bigger core dev team than any previous singleplayer BGS game by quite some margin, plus additional assistance from other BGS teams, and of course very likely some assistance from other Zenimax studios (Arkane, id Software, and Zenimax Online all provided some assistance on Fallout 76 for instance). I will be surprised if it's late 2022, unless Covid forcing them to work from home for the past year hurt them alot. 

Did you play Travis Strikes again? They gave us No More Heroes III in a playable state in 2018. It was Travis in a grey blank room with a UE4 asset being to swing at. A playable state means practically nothing. It's a AAA publisher feeding gullible people misguided truths that may as well be a lie. Todd has never been known to be a liar, has he.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Otter said:

When you know so little it's kinda dumb to get hyped. Cyberpunk 2077 says hi! Remember Anthem? Mass Effect Andromeda. Fallout 76. People overhype AAA games on a crumb. Maybe all you tasted was the peanut from a big old pile of shit. ND will show more than a logo.

People are already hyped for NDs next game and they havnet even shown a logo yet. Fans of companies will always be hyped regardless.

Leynos said:
Otter said:

Major Nelson” Hryb, who hosted the panel, point-blank asked Howard about what’s up with Starfield. Howard jokingly responded saying, “I think it’s getting really good hype for a game no one has seen.”

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Leynos said:
Otter said:

Each to their own. I think its natural and fun to follow and be excited about a new project by a team you generally love the work off, especially when its full reveal is a matter of weeks away

Leynos said:
Otter said:

I don’t remember much hype for Fallout 76 or especially Anthem. But it’s pointless to list a few AAA games that you think missed the mark, we could also list a lot of AAA games people were hyped for that met or exceeded expectations. 

The studio makes amazing RPGs. They are making a sci-fi game that is supposedly hard sci-fi and leaked images show this. I am extremely hyped for Skyrim or Fallout in space. Of the game turns out to not be great, oh well. There are plenty of other games to play. 

We also know nothing about Avowed, but I’m very hyped about it because it’s another RPG from another excellent RPG studio. 

Blood_Tears said:

If true then a lot of insiders were way off on this one. People shouldn’t run and believe everything that is wrote on Twitter anyways but I guess we’ll find out the truth at E3. Also if this is indeed true then TES 6 is at that very end of the gen I suppose.

Either way, just let me know when Starfield comes out MS. I have my Xbox game pass Canada website bookmarked and my loonie ready for my 3 months for $1 offer. (Assuming the game is good that is, since all we have seen is a logo thus far)

In regards to game logos what would you rate the logo out of ten, and could you in your spare time research the correlation between high quality logos and their  impact on making a hit game, I will give you co authorship credit on any finished paper of mine and additionally but being contingent on securing future research funding the chance to be my head minion.

In lue of you unexpectedly being unable to fulfill that exalted position I offer a generous 1% before tax of any future profits deriving from said works excluding Nobel prize money and Institutes named after and or owned by me and here comes the steak knives i'll even throw in a pretty please.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 22 May 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot