By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Starfield Rumours (now Q4 2022)

Expectant release date?

Holiday 2021 (anything is possible!) 2 8.00%

1st Half 2022 6 24.00%

2nd Half 2022 7 28.00%

2023 10 40.00%

Total:25
the-pi-guy said:
shikamaru317 said:

I took the time to go through the whole list and count them all. Roughly 200 BGS devs are listed for core positions, the rest are listed for additional work, such as additional programming, additional art, etc, assistance devs in other words, not core devs. Based on Bethesda's size and growth during those years, I would estimate that the Starfield team started around 50 core devs in late 2015 when Todd Howard said that Starfield began active development, growing to around 100 core devs by late 2018 when Fallout 76 released, with the same assistance devs who assisted on Fallout 76 also assisting on Starfield (meaning they were going back and forth assisting on both projects as needed. So a good amount of development should have gotten done in those first 3 years, and Todd Howard said in an E3 2018 interview, about 2 and a half years after active development began, that Starfield was already in a playable state. Then for the next 3 years of development, from 2019-2021, we're looking at roughly 180-220 core devs on Starfield as the 4 Bethesda studios continued to expand during the last few years, a bigger core dev team than any previous BGS game by quite some margin. I will be surprised if it's late 2022, unless Covid forcing them to work from home for the past year hurt them alot. 

>not core devs

Feels like there's a lot of assumption on how much work an additional team member would be doing.
I trust Jason's sources are based off something a little bit better than assumption.

>Todd Howard said in an E3 2018 interview, about 2 and a half years after active development began, that Starfield was already in a playable state.

The issue is playable state is a pretty vague description. That could mean anything from the basic gameplay systems are working and functional to everything is playable from start to finish with every feature that they plan to implement already implemented.

>a bigger core dev team than any previous BGS game by quite some margin

That's where everything is trending. More artists to make higher quality assets. More software engineers to work on the engine.

Starfield is a new IP, and it's hard to say what their goals are. This might just be a bigger game than anything they've made before by a wide margin.

>unless Covid forcing them to work from home for the past year hurt them alot. 

And I'm sure it did. A lot of companies weren't prepared to move to remote work, and it's delayed stuff that would seem unthinkable to most forum goers.

The thing is games are one long journey of change and iteration and what impact these steps have along the development path aren't always isolated to the original focus be it graphics - narrative - gameplay - music, etc the singular often affects the whole and how these these complexities are handled can make or break a game and even if they accomplish what they set out to achieve.

Just the length of development alone may see a developer reach a point and it may occur more than once, where they have to decide on releasing a game that while fine and holds up well with published games that started development around the same time, but it is now 1/ 2 years later and your game is now looking out of date so you're left with the conundrum of what to do, continue and hope that all that previous work can be redeveloped in a short enough time frame to allow a more modern release but with the risk of the cycle repeating, or do you bite the bullet and rely on the quality of the work done offsetting the negatives that come with lengthy development.

the various parts of the development cycle can be unknowns but a look at the respective history of developers can shed some light into the probability of a date being realistic or not.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 21 May 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Azzanation said:

People are already hyped for NDs next game and they havnet even shown a logo yet. Fans of companies will always be hyped regardless.

There's a measure where the hype for a game from a dev team having the reputation to create sublime experiences is perfectly understandable.

Though in case some of them top tier studios are also proven to be poorly managed or schedule plans in haphazardly ways which leads to moments like we've seen troughout the end of the last generation or more presently, disastrous moments like Cyberpunk.

Still, it isn't like I'm putting myself above all this. Anything Monolith Soft might tease makes my hype meter go overboard quite fast.

Anywoo, hype responsibly !

For each there own. I am no Fallout or Skyrim fan however to others, they are the best games ever made for them. We all have studios we love regardless what games they make, we still get excited. Let those who love Elder Scrolls and Fallout be hyped for their next project just like everyone with any studio.

I dont understand the rush. We havent even seen gameplay.

Monolith has detailed their work schedule and how they refuse to work overtime. Not that there aren't Japanese studios that do crunch but typically a more work health-conscious nation. Nintendo is pretty strict about hours and not wanting to crunch. Western AAA studios are the worst offenders of mismanaging with crunch and lying to the public. Monolith is also able to make massive worlds with very few bugs. Bethesda seems to not care at all about QA.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!