By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Donkey Kong Game Being made by EPD Team

Taking this with a grain of salt the size of Mars, but I'd love for this to be true, so long as it's a regular DK platformer like the Country series and not gimmicky trash like Jungle Beat.

Around the Network

I may be in the minority here but I wasn't a fan of DK64. It felt like a bland version of Banjo (which I loved) with sloppy control and way too many things to collect. Very happy to hear that this game is going to be 2D.

Dammit, my stupid OCD anxiety is really bad right now, worried that it'll be a Jungle Beat game instead of a regular platformer, as that would be a devastating disappointment and I am so desperate for new Switch games to get excited about. :(

Mar1217 said:
Slownenberg said:

Should be interesting. DK64 was a clear huge misstep for the franchise. By far the worst of Nintendo's big games on N64. If it's 3D hopefully they've figured out how to make a good 3D DK game. If it's another 2D game hopefully they bring in some fresh ideas as I don't really feel like we need yet another DKC game (as good as they are).

Was made by Rare. Nintendo just published it. So tehcnically, Nintendo never did a 3D DK game thus far.

Didn't say anything about the developer, said it was a Nintendo game. DK is Nintendo franchise, hence a Nintendo game. Also Rare was at the height of its powers then and the game was pretty bad, so doesn't give me hope for a 3D DK game being good no matter who makes it. Some game concepts just work better in 2D.

archbrix said:

I may be in the minority here but I wasn't a fan of DK64. It felt like a bland version of Banjo (which I loved) with sloppy control and way too many things to collect. Very happy to hear that this game is going to be 2D.

nah definitely not in the minority (well I dunno I see on vgchartz lots of people loving DK64 which is bizarre I don't see how someone could like that game haha). DK64 was very bland and not good. It couldn't hold a candle to Banjo and Mario 64. Was definitely the worst Rare outing and worst big Nintendo game on the system. Hope this rumored game is 2D, but hopefully a fresh take as the DKC line feels kinda old these days, like 2D Mario - DK and 2D Mario are both in need of a refresh, hopefully we'll see refreshed 2D versions of both those games in the near future.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
archbrix said:

nah definitely not in the minority (well I dunno I see on vgchartz lots of people loving DK64 which is bizarre I don't see how someone could like that game haha). DK64 was very bland and not good. It couldn't hold a candle to Banjo and Mario 64. Was definitely the worst Rare outing and worst big Nintendo game on the system. Hope this rumored game is 2D, but hopefully a fresh take as the DKC line feels kinda old these days, like 2D Mario - DK and 2D Mario are both in need of a refresh, hopefully we'll see refreshed 2D versions of both those games in the near future.

I don't know if it was bland. Yeah objectively speaking it was not a good game but it did have a lot of atmosphere and I do remember it fondly as an 10 year old. I do wish Nintendo give the series a decent crack at it. Just feels said that DK has become a B-Tier franchise. Definitely deserves to be back among the top. As good as the DKCR series are, I do hope it's not just another 2D game.

kopstudent89 said:
Slownenberg said:

I don't know if it was bland. Yeah objectively speaking it was not a good game but it did have a lot of atmosphere and I do remember it fondly as an 10 year old. I do wish Nintendo give the series a decent crack at it. Just feels said that DK has become a B-Tier franchise. Definitely deserves to be back among the top. As good as the DKCR series are, I do hope it's not just another 2D game.

padib said:
archbrix said:

That's actually kind of why I'd like them to try it, to see if they can take all the parts that made it fun (collectathons, great colors, cool cast of characters, weapons, all kinds of pads with different purposes, funny story) and improve the graphics and gameplay to make it something unique.

Maybe that's my problem; I don't have any nostalgia towards DK64 because I was nowhere near that young when it released (I'm old).  I did like the graphics and the final boss fight was very clever but it just seemed like such a step back from Banjo's great level design and tight controls.  Personally, I only really liked DK and Diddy so the other monkeys/apes won't be missed by me and I didn't care for the weapons.  It just had too much stuff to keep track of in my opinion but I do have faith that EPD Tokyo could make a great 3D DK game... but I still hope that it's 2D.

kopstudent89 said:
Slownenberg said:

Ah it seems like everyone who enjoyed it was a kid. Maybe it was fun for younger kids. I was 16 when it came out and I was just like what is this crap?! So much hype and such a boring game. It had big fancy massive worlds and used the extra 4mb expansion pack to look extra good...but was just a boring dull game.

Yeah the DKC series is good obviously but it feels old, like playing the one on Switch I'm like didn't I play this 25 years ago haha. Just feels old now. DK needs a new look and feel. Sounds like Nintendo is trying to go in a different direction from the Country series so hopefully the gameplay will feel fresh and different. I'm glad they are keeping it 2D.

Seems like in general now is the time to reinvent many of their franchises or have one last hurrah for the current style: Zelda reinvented itself, DK is according to this rumor gonna change its style, 2D Mario desperately needs to start a new line of games I'm sure we'll see a Switch 2D Mario game and I very much doubt it'll be in the "New" series, they are apparently bringing back 2D Metroid for the first time on a console in almost 30 years (though this is more like resurrecting something rather than reinventing), Smash was seemingly the final (ultimate) iteration of the style that it has mastered though I have no idea what direction they would take it in to change it, if there is gonna be another Mario Kart on Switch I think it's likely it will introduce some fresh concepts to differentiate it in a significant way from the standard formula since they've never done two MK's on one system before and wouldn't want to to kill their ultimate evergreen.

Best Nintendo update in a while if true.
Needless to say EPD Tokyo is incredibly talented and 2D excerpts in Odyssey were great.
Acually I think DK would allow them for even greater creative freedom than Mario (considering sales expectations are lower).

curl-6 said:

Dammit, my stupid OCD anxiety is really bad right now, worried that it'll be a Jungle Beat game instead of a regular platformer, as that would be a devastating disappointment and I am so desperate for new Switch games to get excited about. :(

I loved Jungle Beat, though I agree I would be disappointed if this isn't a full fledged classic 2D title.

Anyway I wouldn't worry too much. Worst case scenario, at least potentially one of the best games on Switch library is planned to be released in summer  (hopefully the conversion is good).

In any case Nintendo has to step up, not being a Pokemon or Animal Crossing fan, the last 12 months have been quite underwhelming for me.