By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pokémon Sword/Shield shipped 21.10m by March 31st. Lifetime sales expectations?

Pokémon Sword/Shield shipped 21.10m by March 31st. Lifetime sales expectations?

Less than 22 million 27 5.90%

22.0 - 22.9 million 28 6.11%

23.0 - 23.9 million 56 12.23%

24.0 - 24.9 million 63 13.76%

25.0 - 25.9 million 98 21.40%

26.0 - 26.9 million 41 8.95%

27.0 - 27.9 million 45 9.83%

28.0 - 28.9 million 16 3.49%

29.0 - 30.0 million 16 3.49%

More than 30 million 68 14.85%

Total:458

I expect somewhere between 22-25 million. 22 million if Arc is received well and feels like a high quality mainline game. 25 mil if Arc feels too experimental and doesn't have polish. The remasters won't impact the legs of Sw/Sh in my opinion, but Arc will one way or another.

Around the Network

If they keep selling 2-3 million copies a year (which seems likely as the Switch continues to grow) it will easily sell 30m lifetime.

Nintendo with the Switch:

scottslater said:

If they keep selling 2-3 million copies a year (which seems likely as the Switch continues to grow) it will easily sell 30m lifetime.

Exactly my toughts, Switch is in the middle of his lifetime, so new players and adopters will push pokemon and zelda and a lot of exclusive games beyond normal sales expectations.

34 years playing games.

I guessed 27m - 27.9m.  I could easily see it selling both higher or lower though.

Two things that are still unclear to me are what effect Arceus will have, and also how Game Freak is affected by Arceus.  Until now Game Freak's release schedule has been quite predictable.  Let's say Sword/Shield is analogous to X/Y on the 3DS, since they are both the first new Pokemon on the system.  Then Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl is analogous to Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby. 

What is analogous to Sun/Moon?  Right now I am assuming it's an unannounced game coming late 2022.  That is what my guess is based on.  But what if Game Freak thinks Arceus is analogous to Sun/Moon?  Or maybe they don't think Arceus is analogous to Sun/Moon, but it's development still delays the release of the next Pokemon game?  Either way, I can see Arceus affecting Game Freak's development schedule so that the next Pokemon is not late 2022, and if that happens then my guess is going to be off.

It is definitively going to beat Gold/Silver, but I'm sure Game Freak will release another gen before getting close to RBG.

Also, goddammit, people, this is not the way you get Game Freak to change course. All of that complaining about the lack of features and the burning of the series to end up making it the second best selling game of the series.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

16 million lifetime. I refuse to believe that it will sell better than X&Y.

I still think seeing how other franchises like AC, Zelda, 3D Mario and Smash grew dramatically in sales (and that list goes on), that Pokemon Sword and Shield was a missed opportunity to step it up a level. Don't get me wrong, 21m is still impressive, but it's no longer considered juggernaut numbers. Really think Game Freak missed a number here to capitalise on the Pokemon Go craze and impressive Switch hardware numbers.

Pokemon Let's go has been showing some decent legs (for a Pokemon game). I feel like Sword and Shield will have better legs and propel its total past 26 million.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

kopstudent89 said:

I still think seeing how other franchises like AC, Zelda, 3D Mario and Smash grew dramatically in sales (and that list goes on), that Pokemon Sword and Shield was a missed opportunity to step it up a level. Don't get me wrong, 21m is still impressive, but it's no longer considered juggernaut numbers. Really think Game Freak missed a number here to capitalise on the Pokemon Go craze and impressive Switch hardware numbers.

On the contrary, Pokemon Go swept the legs of the mainline games. When your mobile game makes in a year more money than the entirety of the mainline series COMBINED, priorities were going to be changed in The Pokemon Co. GameFreak was having problems of vision and content since X/Y, but the fact that now they have to compete for relevance over is a burden for the studio. They need to keep up the profits by speeding up development, cutting corners and selling old content as DLC, which somehow fucking worked for SwSh, but I wonder for how long that's going to last.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
kopstudent89 said:

On the contrary, Pokemon Go swept the legs of the mainline games. When your mobile game makes in a year more money than the entirety of the mainline series COMBINED, priorities were going to be changed in The Pokemon Co. GameFreak was having problems of vision and content since X/Y, but the fact that now they have to compete for relevance over is a burden for the studio. They need to keep up the profits by speeding up development, cutting corners and selling old content as DLC, which somehow fucking worked for SwSh, but I wonder for how long that's going to last.

Mind boggling

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"