By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To 31st March 2021) Switch 84.59m

Interestingly around 20% of Switch sold (I assume in FY 2021) are a second puchase.

Not sure whether it means second Switch device and not second console device, but i assume the former as I would expect a much higher % for the latter based on how many PS4s+X1's are out there in the wild (165m)

Last edited by Otter - on 06 May 2021

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Updated my spreadsheet with the latest hardware and software figures.

Nintendo should be able to at least meet their hardware forecast of 25.5m, so by March 2022 Switch's LTD number will already exceed 110m units.

First party games have sold more than 100 million units during the past fiscal year. This figure only accounts for the confirmed numbers of games that have shipped at least 1m units between April 1st 2020 and March 31st 2021.

Since the launch of Switch Lite, sales of this model have accounted for roughly 30% of total Switch sales. A share that has continued to drop as Nintendo adjusted their production plans according to demand.

The king of video gaming has never stood taller.. All bow

RolStoppable said:

Updated my spreadsheet with the latest hardware and software figures.

Nintendo should be able to at least meet their hardware forecast of 25.5m, so by March 2022 Switch's LTD number will already exceed 110m units.

First party games have sold more than 100 million units during the past fiscal year. This figure only accounts for the confirmed numbers of games that have shipped at least 1m units between April 1st 2020 and March 31st 2021.

Since the launch of Switch Lite, sales of this model have accounted for roughly 30% of total Switch sales. A share that has continued to drop as Nintendo adjusted their production plans according to demand.

Thank you that sheet makes it so much easier to put everything into perspective.

Otter said:

Interestingly around 20% of Switch sold (I assume in FY 2021) are a second puchase.

Not sure whether it means second Switch device and not second console device, but i assume the former as I would expect a much higher % for the latter based on how many PS4s+X1's are out there in the wild. 

The Animal Crossing effect.

Farsala said:
Otter said:

Not sure whether it means second Switch device and not second console device, but i assume the former as I would expect a much higher % for the latter based on how many PS4s+X1's are out there in the wild. 

The Animal Crossing effect.

Not just Animal Crossing. The fact that you can buy a single copy of a physical version of a game and multiple people can play it on their terms (in bed, on the Living Room TV, in the car, etc) is a major selling point. It's why we have 4 Switches, my one brother has 4, my other brother has 3, etc.

Switch continues to sell like hotcakes... that march to #1 Hardware of all time is getting easier and easier...

Last edited by scottslater - on 06 May 2021

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
Jules98 said:

Guys please, this is VGCharts. You're literally two mouse clicks away from figuring this out yourselves.

Anyway, according to VGChartz, PS4 currently has 12 games with 10+ million sales, and just 1 game reached the 20 million mark (Spiderman)

That just shows you you can't trust those numbers

The biggest game of all time, GTAV did not sell 20 million, you believe that?

It's weird but I can't help but feel that a forecast of 25.5m for the next fiscal year is low (even though that's a huge number of consoles).

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

It's weird but I can't help but feel that a forecast of 25.5m for the next fiscal year is low (even though that's a huge number of consoles).

Oh, it's low, laughably low. Switch is on pace to beat last years numbers.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Jumpin said:
GProgrammer said:

Are you sure its ahead of ps4? I'm 100% sure this is not the case

Remember ps4 is a software beast, over 1.5 billion software sold. Is the switch even at half that number?

PS4 has 10 games that have sold 10 million or higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

It says 11 titles btw, but those numbers are obviously way out of date and very incomplete, where are all the COD's and Fifa's, you know those titles that each years are the best sellers?

I do agree that the ratio of the 10 million sellers will most likely be higher on the switch, but when the ps4 has sold nearly 3x as much software to claim the switch has more 10 million sellers is laughable, just look at Jumpinfs wiki list and then add all the titles that they didnt have the data to include

Switch software 587 millions sold

PS4 software 1562 millions sold

remember VGCdata didn't include digital sales untill they started manually adding them, many many games have incomplete data ever since the start of last gen

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.