By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has Vgchartz gotten boring?

Jpcc86 said:

Well theres a number of reasons for that. For starters, Im under the impression that a lot of people have left.
Its been running for so long, threads are repeating themselves.
The age of the users is a bit high - I reckon most active users to be between 20-35 if memory serves me, so theres no time to invest to something like an internet forum.
Like, honestly, I dont care what you people say or think, Pokemon Sword and Shield are crap.

I dont know if theres such a word as "overmoderation", but if theres is, in few sites have I found it more present than here. Its impossible to have a proper conversation criticizing or bashing something we legit dont like - cause its taken as an "unproductive conversation". I keep hearing all the "good" folk got permabanned long ago. At times, the thread itself might not be discussion-worthy, and still gets locked. Just a couple of days ago they erased the "unpopular opinions" thread for no reason whatsoever. There was no insults, discussions, or anything of the sort, just a bunch of dudes sharing a bunch of unpopular views, and yet they locked it. So unless im here to say "X" thing is awesome and I hope it does well", discussions are limited. Seriously tho, Pokemon Sword and Shield are crap.

Its not just the moderation tho, people in general get triggered very easily - and in general are very serious in this particular forum. I've said this before, but bar a few people I find the treatment people have with each other in here to be very stiff. Even in the offtopic threads.

I wanted to bring this up on the site, but there's no moderation thread anymore to bring it up in.

It's ridiculous that thread got banned while unironically at the same time people were making disingenuous arguments about whether the Switch belongs in a chart next to the PS5. Not saying that should be banned, either, rather none of those points of discussion should be. 

That thread was one of the most popular threads in a long time, it got about 50+ replies in a day. And it wasn't doing anyone any harm. 

In fairness the OP complained after making the thread (which honestly seemed super reactionary given how peaceful the thread was???) so maybe that had something to do with it's closure. But yea, that was a ridiculous one imo. 

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Just a couple of days ago they erased the "unpopular opinions" thread for no reason whatsoever. There was no insults, discussions, or anything of the sort, just a bunch of dudes sharing a bunch of unpopular views, and yet they locked it.

Maybe you're misremembering that thread? There were absolutely insults, and people using it to troll pretty heavily and derail the thread, hence the decision being made to close it. 

Ok then, I guess I didnt get to that part of the thread then. 
Still, Resident Evil 4 is horribly overrated. 

Leynos said:

Pants are boring. I'm declaring VGChartz a no-pants zone! NO PANTS ALLOWED!

Pants can be fun

Bristow9091 said:
Runa216 said:

I'm kinda in a similar thread in this regards. It's been a long time since I felt I could actually have a real discussion comparing brands and games without everything being reported as bias or fanboyism or something. To make matters worse I'm not the only one who feels there's a clear bias by the moderation team to give preferential treatment to one brand over the other (Not gonna mention who or what since I'm not looking to start another fight). 

I recently saw someone get banned for an eyerolling gif...because they didn't elaborate on what about the prior statements they were objecting to. This person isn't even someone I like or agree with 90% of the time but I still thought it was absolutely ludicrous to get banned for that. 

It just doesn't feel like a place that fosters any semblance of real discussion unless it's unabashedly positive. And again, I find people are allowed to criticize some brands more than others. The same thing can be said about brands A and B, but as soon as something similar - no matter how well-reasoned and fair the statement is - you get banned or warned. There's a reason I don't participate in many discussions anymore, because the only ones I'm seemingly allowed to participate in are the ones dedicated to praising games. I even got banned from a subforum here because I was harshly critical of the brand - which I truly feel is dropping so many important balls I genuinely have no idea how they're still in the console market - and many members of this site (both moderation and user) seem to be weirdly positive towards this brand despite there being little to no positivity for this brand elsewhere. 

So basically, this site isn't as dynamic and engaging as it once was because the users and the mod staff seem to be heavily leaning towards one of the three major console brands. No way to prove it (and it's been discussed ad nauseum in the past), but that's the impression I and many others have gotten for a couple years now. It's kind of sad, but I have a weird nostalgia for the place so I'm trying to keep my best behaviour so I don't get permabanned for being too harshly critical of that same company that many users on this site seem to favour. 

Oh how I could pick this post apart and give answers and opinions galore... but honestly it's a little too much effort and I feel it'd be taking us offtopic, so I'll just stick to the OP lol;

I don't really find that the site has gotten boring... some areas have definitely gotten more quiet, whereas on the flipside some areas have gotten more lively. For example my Nation thread has had quite the increase in posting recently, thanks in part to the user I'm quoting here lol. The only answer I can really give is that activity levels fluctuate throughout the year and as news comes and goes, which can lead to more or less discussions... but for the most part I'm fine with how things are, and have been, since it hasn't affected the areas of the site I visit. 

Well the parts I visit are boring and the people I interacted with are either less active or gone. Maybe the site isn't for me anymore except for looking at the latest numbers. And as I said, it feels the fun parts seem to gone and replaced with endless bickering and being angry another company except your favourite is having a good run.

axumblade said:
Leynos said:

Pants are boring. I'm declaring VGChartz a no-pants zone! NO PANTS ALLOWED!

Pants are boring and I'm tired of pretending they're not. 

I think ties are more boring

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Bristow9091 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Just a couple of days ago they erased the "unpopular opinions" thread for no reason whatsoever. There was no insults, discussions, or anything of the sort, just a bunch of dudes sharing a bunch of unpopular views, and yet they locked it.

Maybe you're misremembering that thread? There were absolutely insults, and people using it to troll pretty heavily and derail the thread, hence the decision being made to close it. 

Edit: Turns out I'm the one misremembering the thread, as I was thinking of a completely different one that WAS closed for the reasons I mentioned lol. The one you're speaking of was closed in part due to the OP wanting it :)

HIGH MORAL GRAND STANDING FROM SOMEONE WHO SENT ME A DICK PIC ON DISCORD 

Spoiler!

Maybe we should start a console war to spice things up

Stadia is the way of the future! xCloud? PLEASE, Stadia was here well before that nonsense. PS5's SSD? LOL. Cloud gaming doesn't need any loading. Switch? HAHA, Stadia can be played anywhere on any mobile device. PCMR? More like, Expensive Arse Master Race. Stadia so cheap you can use it for 5 years and still cost less as that nonsense.

Too bad Ouya isn't still around. Ouya 2 would have eaten all these potato Consoles and french fries PCs for breakfast. Legend has it that Ouya 2 was capable of teleporting hookers into your room while serving you pancakes.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Maybe we should start a console war to spice things up

Stadia is the way of the future! xCloud? PLEASE, Stadia was here well before that nonsense. PS5's SSD? LOL. Cloud gaming doesn't need any loading. Switch? HAHA, Stadia can be played anywhere on any mobile device. PCMR? More like, Expensive Arse Master Race. Stadia so cheap you can use it for 5 years and still cost less as that nonsense.

Too bad Ouya isn't still around. Ouya 2 would have eaten all these potato Consoles and french fries PCs for breakfast. Legend has it that Ouya 2 was capable of teleporting hookers into your room while serving you pancakes.

Wait, you mean they actually perfected the technology but we'll never see it?! Why must I live in the world I do?!

Indeed but the journalists didn't give the first one a chance. They were like, but it doesn't have any games or the controller is terrible or this and that. But did they ever think to themselves that maybe it's not so much that the Ouya was terrible, but everyone else? Quite a shame because it lead to the biggest loss in the history of video games. Ouya didn't fail us, we failed Ouya!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The issue with VGC is, at least how I see it, it's not wrong to say that a lot of the most interesting people are gone or have been banned. But a lot of those people were toxic. Yes, those people did make posts (I might actually be in the minority opinion that a certain frog was probably one of the least bad out of the bunch of very bad influencers despite being the most pervasive and long-lasting) that were funny, or interesting, or often not even either of those things, just somewhat "engaging". And, those people never got replaced by good users, nor even equally bad ones to take their place as the influx of new users is smaller. 

In general though, it's probably better for the site to die with mostly good people than to extend itself another year or two with flame wars. 

I find the people left are a lot more just arguing about brand warfare and feel "flame wars" as you call it. Before I remember I could joke around a lot more and people got it was a joke. Now I can't even joke without someone getting mad about something. 

kirby007 said:

Pfft you just mad the guy didnt like a studio

Never played The Last Of Us 2 and never plan to do so. Also happen to think Naughty Dog is a group of rather overrated uninspired trend chasers who tend to make what everyone else is doing, just with shinier graphics... But, some people have taken it to the point where they act like Neil Druckman broke into their home and pissed on their toast. At a certain point you're gonna get bopped with the hammer.

Bristow9091 said:
Eagle367 said:

I find the people left are a lot more just arguing about brand warfare and feel "flame wars" as you call it. Before I remember I could joke around a lot more and people got it was a joke. Now I can't even joke without someone getting mad about something. 

Oh, I see what all this is about... ;)

I don't think you do but enjoy thinking you're in the know how.

JWeinCom said:
kirby007 said:

Pfft you just mad the guy didnt like a studio

Never played The Last Of Us 2 and never plan to do so. Also happen to think Naughty Dog is a group of rather overrated uninspired trend chasers who tend to make what everyone else is doing, just with shinier graphics... But, some people have taken it to the point where they act like Neil Druckman broke into their home and pissed on their toast. At a certain point you're gonna get bopped with the hammer.

Oh no not the dreaded discussions in this thread

BraLoD said:

Long ago.

Hey friend I miss you ?

Eagle367 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The issue with VGC is, at least how I see it, it's not wrong to say that a lot of the most interesting people are gone or have been banned. But a lot of those people were toxic. Yes, those people did make posts (I might actually be in the minority opinion that a certain frog was probably one of the least bad out of the bunch of very bad influencers despite being the most pervasive and long-lasting) that were funny, or interesting, or often not even either of those things, just somewhat "engaging". And, those people never got replaced by good users, nor even equally bad ones to take their place as the influx of new users is smaller. 

In general though, it's probably better for the site to die with mostly good people than to extend itself another year or two with flame wars. 

nvm think it's covered.