By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q4 2020 earnings: PS5 at 7.8 million (3.3 for Q4), PS4 116 million (1 million for Q4)

Random_Matt said:
drkohler said:

You can track Sony's Lading/Container Nos ?

No, but retailers have already said shipments got screwed because of the Evergreen mess.

That is the problem of the ship pile-up behind Ever Given. A minor mess. I don't think it affected Sony to any more than minor hassle otherwise we would have heard from Sony. As soon as the first pictures of the ship showed up in the news, gaming forums started to show up with "Sony/PS5 is doomed" messages" (interestingly, no mention at all of "XBoxX is doomed" despite using the same transportation means. I also think Sony uses NYK not Evergreen?).

So, as a hobby train thought, I wondered what really is blocked on the ship's 18000 containers. Unfortunately only insiders have access to the ship's manifest. What is going to happen with that cargo is very interesting in itself. Probably blocked for months while the lawsuits are flying front, left, right and center. Imagine you have delicate electronics on that ship and your containers are on the top of the deck - 50% humidity (salt water), no wind and tropical sun burning down on your metal box = kiss that electronics goodbye?

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Signalstar said:

Wow. This is further proof that digital is on its way to total dominance. Add on Content is where the $ is, which some may feel sucks but clearly many are showing their approval with their wallets.

It is terrifying that MTX, DLC and the like is bigger than total sold SW, with it being about 7x the physical copies. Well even Subs (which is massive) is almost 3x the size of physical sales and well it adds almost as much as half the total sales of games itself. So if you were really considering only 1st party games PS+ makes more revenue (and likely profit) than the entirety of their Studios (will probably be the same for MS with GP very soon).

The crazy part is that as low as those game sales look at first glance they're selling more games than anyone has before. lol

Angelv577 said:

This gen is going to be pretty much a copy and paste of last gen between playstation and xbox. Makes sense now why MS is focusing too much on gamepass.

How did you draw that conclusion? XSex will sell more than Xbone because Microsoft has done everything right this time. I think the gap will be much closer than last gen actually. And Microsoft is pushing gamepass because that's it's main platform now. The consoles are just a means to an end. The future of Microsoft is gamepass, not Xbox.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

PotentHerbs said:

Another interesting tidbit is Sony plans to spend an additional $183 Million on development personnel and other in house costs. Remember, SIE has been expanding their internal teams since 2018, so this additional cost is on top of that.

Assuming a $100K salary for developers, that's hundreds if not thousands of additional employees, which to me sounds like an acquisition(s).

That is a bit less than what they paid for Insomniac, but they said this is for internal while still having plans for external colaborations (and possibly acquisition), and well perhaps that 183M isn't limited to one year expenses but like a 5 year plan. Still that would mean as you said some thousand employees so either new studios or additional teams on the existing ones and sure increase in headcount for some teams to keep the 3 year dev time.

wahwah said:
DonFerrari said:

It is terrifying that MTX, DLC and the like is bigger than total sold SW, with it being about 7x the physical copies. Well even Subs (which is massive) is almost 3x the size of physical sales and well it adds almost as much as half the total sales of games itself. So if you were really considering only 1st party games PS+ makes more revenue (and likely profit) than the entirety of their Studios (will probably be the same for MS with GP very soon).

The crazy part is that as low as those game sales look at first glance they're selling more games than anyone has before. lol

True that, Sony certainly isn't sad that that small physical sales is still massive and the rest is just humungous compared to their previous results.

Eagle367 said:
Angelv577 said:

This gen is going to be pretty much a copy and paste of last gen between playstation and xbox. Makes sense now why MS is focusing too much on gamepass.

How did you draw that conclusion? XSex will sell more than Xbone because Microsoft has done everything right this time. I think the gap will be much closer than last gen actually. And Microsoft is pushing gamepass because that's it's main platform now. The consoles are just a means to an end. The future of Microsoft is gamepass, not Xbox.

From what we have seem so far Series are selling about 50% of PS5, I don't know how much stock constrained Series are but PS5 certainly is seeling as much as is available. So the gap won't change significantly if the trend is kept.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

That is a bit less than what they paid for Insomniac, but they said this is for internal while still having plans for external colaborations (and possibly acquisition), and well perhaps that 183M isn't limited to one year expenses but like a 5 year plan. Still that would mean as you said some thousand employees so either new studios or additional teams on the existing ones and sure increase in headcount for some teams to keep the 3 year dev time.

The YoY increase of $183 Million is for this fiscal year only.

I'm leaning more towards an acquisition. Sony has been expanding their teams since 2018, so unless they're three team studios, I can't see them adding 1000's of employees through organic growth for this upcoming fiscal year. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

The YoY increase of $183 Million is for this fiscal year only.

I'm leaning more towards an acquisition. Sony has been expanding their teams since 2018, so unless they're three team studios, I can't see them adding 1000's of employees through organic growth for this upcoming fiscal year. 

Why not give one additional studio to ND, SSM, Insomniac and other major studios, while also increasing the size of each team plus opening couple or more new studios?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

Why not give one additional studio to ND, SSM, Insomniac and other major studios, while also increasing the size of each team plus opening couple or more new studios?

Not every studio wants to be two teams. The ones that do have been expanding since 2018 (IE. Guerrilla and Santa Monica hiring/relocating) It's possible they open up a few studios but that wouldn't bring on thousands of employees. 

Despite PS5 tracking ahead of the PS4, I still say it will sell less globally. Sony's competition is stronger this time than during the PS4's first half. PS4 will probably slightly outsell the Game Boy+Game Boy Color when all is said and done.

Financially, PlayStation is killing it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

Not every studio wants to be two teams. The ones that do have been expanding since 2018 (IE. Guerrilla and Santa Monica hiring/relocating) It's possible they open up a few studios but that wouldn't bring on thousands of employees. 

187M seems enough to only buy a small to medium studio unless this is the 187M expected cost only in 2021 and more on 2022 and forward.

Playstation made $25 billion in revenue for the fiscal year 2020.

I wonder if Apple/Amazon will try get into the console business, the market is just getting bigger. (Note FY2020 means Q2, Q3, Q4 last year + Q1 this year)

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 30 April 2021

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!