By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q4 2020 earnings: PS5 at 7.8 million (3.3 for Q4), PS4 116 million (1 million for Q4)

DonFerrari said:

187M seems enough to only buy a small to medium studio unless this is the 187M expected cost only in 2021 and more on 2022 and forward.

The $187M is in reference to "development personnel & in house costs." I interpreted that as developer salary, operating cost of a studio, etc, added onto SIE's overall expenses.

Sony has allocated 18+ Billion to their mid range plan, which will be focused on entertainment, further stating they're going to "aggressively invest" in their first party. Sounds like SIE is getting a big portion of that. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

187M seems enough to only buy a small to medium studio unless this is the 187M expected cost only in 2021 and more on 2022 and forward.

The $187M is in reference to "development personnel & in house costs." I interpreted that as developer salary, operating cost of a studio, etc, added onto SIE's overall expenses.

Sony has allocated 18+ Billion to their mid range plan, which will be focused on entertainment, further stating they're going to "aggressively invest" in their first party. Sounds like SIE is getting a big portion of that. 

For me development personnel & in house costs isn't merger and acquisition, at most would be increasing head count through creation of new studios. But that is how  I read, don't have any further evidence.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sounds to me like more personal. Every studio gets a little bit bigger. There whete rumors/leaks that sony wants their teams to produce games quicker than having more studios creating more games simultaneously. It could potentially increase the output similarly than adding new studios. But this way they have a better control on quality as new studios are unproven.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

Sounds to me like more personal. Every studio gets a little bit bigger. There whete rumors/leaks that sony wants their teams to produce games quicker than having more studios creating more games simultaneously. It could potentially increase the output similarly than adding new studios. But this way they have a better control on quality as new studios are unproven.

True,. but are limits on this improvement of size until it starts being more of an issue than help.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wman1996 said:

Despite PS5 tracking ahead of the PS4, I still say it will sell less globally. Sony's competition is stronger this time than during the PS4's first half. PS4 will probably slightly outsell the Game Boy+Game Boy Color when all is said and done.

Financially, PlayStation is killing it.

I actually think it has a chance to sell more because the Sony did so well with the PS4. I mean if you were a gamer without a Sony console you had to notice how well Sony was doing and how many amazing games they were releasing. I mean they had GOTY after GOTY contender on top of just their normal smaller AAA titles that were still really good. Competition is stronger as far as Nintendo but MS doesn't have much but promises right now. Gamepass is great but I don't really know how many consoles that will move. A gaming subscription service is something that's never really been done so I'm not sure how that will affect console sales. Most gamers I know don't even play enough games for something like that to be worth it.