By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q4 2020 earnings: PS5 at 7.8 million (3.3 for Q4), PS4 116 million (1 million for Q4)

kazuyamishima said:

There were more than 300 million PS4 games sold in calendar year 2020.

Those are huge numbers.

PS4 Software would be close to 1.8 Billions.

Like Daniel Ahmad said, PS4 sold less than PS2 in terms of hardware, but in terms of software that’s a completely different story.

when looking at profits then that is even another level. Sure a big portion of that comes from PS+ (with the main reason being MP paywall which I still don't like even though I don't use), but even without that Sony have improved their structure so much since PS3 that now their 1st party profit is something that we would never imagine even on PS2, and that got accompanied by very healthy royalties from the 3rd parties.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Great sales for the PS5 and wow those DLC sales are huge.

Record breaking year for Playstation/Sony!

Digital software accounts for 65% of the sales split, nearly 80% in Q4, I'm not sure if Microsoft/Nintendo provide the sales split, but the weekly software charts are becoming more and more meaningless at this point. Also worth noting is first party software sales, accounting for 15% of software sales, which is incredible when you consider the PS4/PS5's library is 95% third party games. Sony expects to sell more first party software this year compared to last as well! They must have a few surprises in store to surpass TLOU2, Miles, GoT & Demon's Souls. The craziest stat of all is Playstation profit in FY2020 is more than the profit made in the entire PS1 & PS2 generation!

Another interesting anecdote is Sony plans to aggressively expand their first party. They have allocated 18+ Billion for their mid range plan which is focused on their entertainment divisions. However, if their last mid range plan is any indication, Sony could exceed their initial allocated investment, and be looking at spending upwards of 20+ Billion.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 28 April 2021

It also looks like the PS4 will slowly leg it to 120 Million lifetime lol.

drkohler said:
Random_Matt said:

Zero PS5 for UK until end of May. Because of that stuck ship, EU have had and continuing zero stock.

You can track Sony's Lading/Container Nos ?

No, but retailers have already said shipments got screwed because of the Evergreen mess. It was stuck in the canal for over a week, and then impounded for safety checks.

However, the positive thing is the April and May shipments will end up arriving at the same time, so a lot more PS5 consoles to sell. Well, as long as scalpers don't bag a ton.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
DonFerrari said:

When the shipment is about 200k difference, and the selling traking is about the same difference, with the average weekly sales making system on shelves close to  3 weeks amount whatever divergence from real numbers is likely irrelevant. So yes good work, the hard work is fine tunning that per territory as those date isn't really available to compare in many cases.

Fine tuning the sales in each country can be quite tricky at times.

One question is will PS5 remain a similar amount ahead of PS4 at end of the June quarter and be 400,000 to 600,000 ahead or will it ship a similar amount to the March quarter, which would put it ahead by like 1-1.2 million at the end of June. Either way, we are talking like 9.7 million to 10.5 million sold for PS5 at the end of June. 

From the news on the front page Sony is unlikely to increase the production drastically and their aim is to beat PS4 second year on market, so I would say they should be something like that 200-500k ahead at most for most quarters until March 2022 at least.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

Fine tuning the sales in each country can be quite tricky at times.

One question is will PS5 remain a similar amount ahead of PS4 at end of the June quarter and be 400,000 to 600,000 ahead or will it ship a similar amount to the March quarter, which would put it ahead by like 1-1.2 million at the end of June. Either way, we are talking like 9.7 million to 10.5 million sold for PS5 at the end of June. 

From the news on the front page Sony is unlikely to increase the production drastically and their aim is to beat PS4 second year on market, so I would say they should be something like that 200-500k ahead at most for most quarters until March 2022 at least.

Their plan is to beat the PS4's 2nd year, in terms of hardware sales.
So expect atleast 15m consoles shipped this year imo.

Another interesting tidbit is Sony plans to spend an additional $183 Million on development personnel and other in house costs. Remember, SIE has been expanding their internal teams since 2018, so this additional cost is on top of that.

Assuming a $100K salary for developers, that's hundreds if not thousands of additional employees, which to me sounds like an acquisition(s).

Is there any chart comparing PS3 and PS4 sales and overall profitability/revenue?

I think the differences would be insane. I still remember the terrible days Sony had in 2007/2008. Back then, it was everything doom and gloom.

twintail said:
zumnupy10 said:

Is there any chart comparing PS3 and PS4 sales and overall profitability/revenue?

I think the differences would be insane. I still remember the terrible days Sony had in 2007/2008. Back then, it was everything doom and gloom.

Credit goes to ArmGunar of Resetera

I know you are asking about PS3/ PS4, but one tidbit from the information is that FY20 Profits alone are higher than the entire PS1 gen profit generated. And also higher than the entire profit from the PS2. 

The first time the launch of a new home console did not lead to an operating loss.

Sony really had to keep the faith during the PS3 gen to get where they are today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.