By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q4 2020 earnings: PS5 at 7.8 million (3.3 for Q4), PS4 116 million (1 million for Q4)

trunkswd said:

PS5 has been adjusted up and is now at 7.22 million as of April 3 (and 7.44 million as of April 10). That would put the gap between shipped vs sold at around 600,000, which is 2.5-3 weeks of sales. Also, PS5 is now 211K ahead of PS4 when comparing our estimates through the end of their first March quarter. 

Appreciate the diligence!

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
Hiku said:

Physical games: 5%
Digital software: 21%

Not sure if that 21% includes movies. But either way, 4x that of physical sales is quite a lot.

And this is for revenue. Profits will obviously be even higher then for digital.

Wow. This is further proof that digital is on its way to total dominance. Add on Content is where the $ is, which some may feel sucks but clearly many are showing their approval with their wallets.

It is terrifying that MTX, DLC and the like is bigger than total sold SW, with it being about 7x the physical copies. Well even Subs (which is massive) is almost 3x the size of physical sales and well it adds almost as much as half the total sales of games itself. So if you were really considering only 1st party games PS+ makes more revenue (and likely profit) than the entirety of their Studios (will probably be the same for MS with GP very soon).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

PS5 has been adjusted up and is now at 7.22 million as of April 3 (and 7.44 million as of April 10). That would put the gap between shipped vs sold at around 600,000, which is 2.5-3 weeks of sales. Also, PS5 is now 211K ahead of PS4 when comparing our estimates through the end of their first March quarter. 

I'd like to make sure our estimates are as accurate as possible. I'm just happy we weren't that far off. With PS5 now 200,000 ahead of PS4 that should hopefully give us a decent idea for the April to June quarter. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

There were more than 300 million PS4 games sold in calendar year 2020.

Those are huge numbers.

PS4 Software would be close to 1.8 Billions.

Like Daniel Ahmad said, PS4 sold less than PS2 in terms of hardware, but in terms of software that’s a completely different story.

trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'd like to make sure our estimates are as accurate as possible. I'm just happy we weren't that far off. With PS5 now 200,000 ahead of PS4 that should hopefully give us a decent idea for the April to June quarter. 

When the shipment is about 200k difference, and the selling traking is about the same difference, with the average weekly sales making system on shelves close to  3 weeks amount whatever divergence from real numbers is likely irrelevant. So yes good work, the hard work is fine tunning that per territory as those date isn't really available to compare in many cases.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

There were more than 300 million PS4 games sold in calendar year 2020.

Those are huge numbers.

PS4 Software would be close to 1.8 Billions.

Like Daniel Ahmad said, PS4 sold less than PS2 in terms of hardware, but in terms of software that’s a completely different story.

when looking at profits then that is even another level. Sure a big portion of that comes from PS+ (with the main reason being MP paywall which I still don't like even though I don't use), but even without that Sony have improved their structure so much since PS3 that now their 1st party profit is something that we would never imagine even on PS2, and that got accompanied by very healthy royalties from the 3rd parties.

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

When the shipment is about 200k difference, and the selling traking is about the same difference, with the average weekly sales making system on shelves close to  3 weeks amount whatever divergence from real numbers is likely irrelevant. So yes good work, the hard work is fine tunning that per territory as those date isn't really available to compare in many cases.

Fine tuning the sales in each country can be quite tricky at times.

One question is will PS5 remain a similar amount ahead of PS4 at end of the June quarter and be 400,000 to 600,000 ahead or will it ship a similar amount to the March quarter, which would put it ahead by like 1-1.2 million at the end of June. Either way, we are talking like 9.7 million to 10.5 million sold for PS5 at the end of June. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Great sales for the PS5 and wow those DLC sales are huge.

Record breaking year for Playstation/Sony!

Digital software accounts for 65% of the sales split, nearly 80% in Q4, I'm not sure if Microsoft/Nintendo provide the sales split, but the weekly software charts are becoming more and more meaningless at this point. Also worth noting is first party software sales, accounting for 15% of software sales, which is incredible when you consider the PS4/PS5's library is 95% third party games. Sony expects to sell more first party software this year compared to last as well! They must have a few surprises in store to surpass TLOU2, Miles, GoT & Demon's Souls. The craziest stat of all is Playstation profit in FY2020 is more than the profit made in the entire PS1 & PS2 generation!

Another interesting anecdote is Sony plans to aggressively expand their first party. They have allocated 18+ Billion for their mid range plan which is focused on their entertainment divisions. However, if their last mid range plan is any indication, Sony could exceed their initial allocated investment, and be looking at spending upwards of 20+ Billion.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 28 April 2021

It also looks like the PS4 will slowly leg it to 120 Million lifetime lol.