By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games hooked you well.

Here's me raving about a classic game series that I fell in love with recently.

So I have the Castlevania Collection on the Switch. I finished all of its games already long ago. I always liked Castlevania games but that was about it. I wouldn't say that they were close to my heart or something.

However, a couple of weeks ago I replayed the NES classic Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse once again, and this time it was the japanese version. I never knew that it was so much more accessible than the western versions but this time my run through the game went so much smoother, and I enjoyed every second of it. Took the Sypha route. Got through the damn pirate ship much easier this time. I decided to not spare on ammo and spammed magic all the time, so it was pretty much how the game is intended to be played. I always used to save all my hearts but by limiting myself that way (for no reason at all) the games are much, much more difficult. Anyway, it was a blast, I loved it so much. And the music in this game is soooo good! It's a really great game.

And because of this revisit I was in the mood for more Castlevania action. I started another run of the second game in the series, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Many call this the black sheep in the series, and while I can definitely see its flaws, I still like this game quite a lot. So, after having finished that one as well, I became obsessed with Castlevania like never before.

So next up was Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP. This is a collection of two games: Rondo of Blood as a fully localized western release, which is the first time for this game, and Symphony of the Night. Rondo of Blood changes some parts of the formula for the better. This is a fantastic game, but brutally difficult! A really cool moment is when you realise that the first level takes place in Aljiba, one of the towns from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest! I loved that, that was a super amazing throwback for me. So in this sense all the games from the main series are connected to each other, and this is a such a great feature for me.

I was very excited for Symphony of the Night, the one great masterpiece that shook the series up side down and pushed it into another genre. Honestly, I thought that it was available right from the start in Dracula X Chronicles but I was wrong, you have to unlock it first. I had to look up how to do it. Anyways. SotN is awesome! It feels so badass to walk into the castle accompanied by this amazing soundtrack and then you start killing the monsters and explore the giant interior, get sucked up in the deep atmosphere while becoming stronger and stronger. I highly recommend this.

And then I replayed both games on the N64 from start to finish within a couple of days. They are not canon, and definitely different from every other game so far. Still pretty good but not on the same level. This lead me to another non-canon game, and that is Circle of the Moon on the Game Boy Advance. This was a launch title for the system. It was a little rough around the edges, but has a lot of great moments and also a heavy atmosphere. However, I admit that I took a break in the middle after I kept dying from Ice Giants in the sewers and I got frustrated. I played Castlevania Legends on the original Game Boy instead. This is also non-canon and the first game to have a female protagonist with Sonya Belmont.

And thus I replayed the other two Game Boy Castlevanias. Castlevania Adventure is unfair in many places, and not much fun to play. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge is more accessible and the best game of the bunch. All three, however, have kickass soundtracks considering the hardware! With that out of the way I went back to Circle of the Moon and loved it. Right after the credits rolled I couldn't help myself and turned to the second game on the GBA, Harmony of Dissonance. This one is even better than Circle of the Moon for me! It took me only two or three sittings to consume this entirely. The last game on the GBA is Aria of Sorrow, followed by the direct sequel which is Dawn of Sorrow. Both of these games include the mechanic that allows you to absorb the souls of the enemies and use their powers, which is wonderful and so much fun. But I wish the souls would drop more frequently, even with all bonuses and exploits equipped. Farming them can be tedious at times.

Well, here I am playing the next game, and that is Portrait of Run. For the first time I can play as two charcaters simultaneously. This is amazing, I enjoy it very much! But, there is still another DS game left which I do not own yet, and that is Order of Ecclesia. Buying it nowadays is difficult and expensive. I just couldn't help myself. I had to buy it. I am not proud of myself for shelling out so much money on one single game, but then again you can find some sellers offering it new and sealed for more than 500€ (!), others used for more than 200€. Some only have the cart but not the packaging. All in all, it seems pretty rare, so having spent 120€ seems fair, right? It isn't, I know. Still, I want it so bad. It's going to arrive on thursday.

All that's left are the two PS2 games Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. I am on the fence on these because the seem to be pretty mediocre and expensive at the same time, so eh. I hope I'll have the chance to play them someday and I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks for reading. Have a nice day, everybody.

Last edited by GoOnKid - on 25 April 2021

Around the Network
AkimboCurly said:

According to time spent:

Europa Universalis IV: 4000 hours
Halo Series: Probably 2000+ hours but hard to count.
Crusader Kings 2: 1500 hours
Call of Duty series: 1200 hours

But when I think "hooked" I really think about periods of time when you can think of nothing all day except the game. When you fall asleep thinking about the game and wake up with new ideas about what you're gonna try. Games like:

Minecraft
State of Decay 2
Sea of Thieves

This happened a lot to me in the last weeks :)

These ones stand out

Super Smash Bros, BrawL: Over 220 hours
Xenoblade Chronicles: Over 200 hours. I sucked hard at this game, so I did a lot of wandering around and grinding. I played the Wii disc on Wii U and did see the story through. I will get the Definitive Edition one day and I will turn the difficulty down to the easiest setting (yay for difficulty options this time).
Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 600 hours
Super Smash Bros for Wii U: Over 220 hours (also over 125 hours for the 3DS version)
Stardew Valley: About 350 hours between Switch and PS4
Animal Crossing: New Horizons: Over 355 hours

It tends to be Nintendo games that hook me.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Here are some games that have really hooked me over the years:

Atari 2600 - Adventure.  My siblings bought this game when they bought the system, and I kept playing it for its whole lifespan.  Even today I've got an Atari compilation that I'll get out from time to time solely for Adventure.

NES - The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Super Mario Bros 3, M.T.'s Punch Out and Final Fantasy are all games I still come back to regularly and enjoy.  The NES really was the best system ever made.

Genesis - I love playing Golden Axe both on the Genesis and the arcade even today.  For non-arcade ports I still come back to Sonic 1 and Shining Force.

Arcade - Already mentioned Golden Axe.  I also have a 60-in-1 machine where I play a lot of Mr. Do, Centipede, Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man and Qix.  I play the other games on their too, but those are the ones I play the most.

PS1 - I've played both Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy Tactics enough times that I've lost count.  I'd estimated I've played them both about 5-10 times each, and neither one is really a short game.  I've also played Final Fantasy 9 about 3-6 times.  There must have been something in the water at Squaresoft back in the PS1 era.

PS2 - I play Katamari Damacy A LOT.  It the past 2 years, it's probably the game I've popped in the most (on any system) when I just want a game to unwind.  I also play We Love Katamari somewhat when I get tired of the original game.  Final Fantasy 10 is another game that I've played more times than I can count.

PC - I convinced my dad to buy me a PC for school reasons, but I really wanted it to play Civilization 1.  Several years later I bought my own PC to play Ultima Online, and while I only played it for 1-2 months, I mostly played MMOs for the early 2000s (a whole genre that hardcore hooked me for several years).  Eventually I settled down with Final Fantasy XI which I played for about 3 years and that was mostly the only game I played during that period.  For PC games I return to even today: Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Freedom Force and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.  I really all three of these games with occasionally Dungeon Keeper 2 giving me the urge to come back to it.

GBA - I love coming back to Astro Boy: The Omega Factor and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Wii - Wii Sports Resort is still a really fun game and you can't get an experience like this anywhere else.

PS3 - Civilization Revolution is a game I've put several hundred hours into (probably 500+).  I think my wife has done about 10x that amount.  I also come back to Rock Band and Dark Souls.

Wii U - Hyrule Warriors is a game I've come back to a lot.  Right now I want to say Age of Calamity has replaced it, but I can't be sure which with stick with me long term until a few more years have passed.

Switch - Puyo Puyo Tetris is the 2nd game I bought for the Switch (after BotW), and still come back to it even today.  This game is just awesome.  It's easily the best multiplayer game on the Switch.  I sold off Octopath Traveler a couple of years ago and now I regret it.  I recently bought it again on Ebay, because I feel it still calling to me.

World of Warcraft. A game I've been playing since near its original release. Been on and off and stopped after a long hiatus but this game is genuinely great. I had so much fun when teaming with friends. PVP and PVE and lots of content, no other MMO comes close.

Counterstrike Source/GO. Tactical, teamplay and fun with friends.

Lost so many hours on these games and no regrets! Out of all other games these ones have stuck with me.