By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Per request : why you can trash on MS studios because they dont make social statements

This so highly rated dev can barely support 1 game whereas they used to poop out multiple awardwinning games each year.
now i dont condone remasters or remakes for that matter but i would forgive em for wasting their talent on SoT if they actually would make a fun over the top race game again or BK4

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

They've been rubbish since 2002, but they were one of the best developers in the industry from 1994-2001.

Unfortunately a lot of key talent left the building at the end of the N64 era, and they quickly became a shell of their former selves. Microsoft's management only seemed to make matters worse.

Thankfully, a lot of their alumni have reunited under the banner of Playtonic, and Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair is a game that manages to live up to the pedigree of their former glory.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 April 2021

They occasionally make a solid title like Kameo and Viva Pinata.
Banjo Kazooi Nuts and Bolts was fairly underrated in my opinion, I think people cracked a tanty because it didn't stick to the older games formula.

Sea of Thieves I never bothered with as it's a game as a service... And the Kinect games were shovelware.

Killer Instinct they helped with and that is probably one of the better fighters on Xbox...

Battletoads was average, they assisted with the development like Killer Instinct.

Everwild I am keeping an eye on as it looks very interesting.

You are right that RARE is only a shell of it's former self from the highs of Donkey Kong, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye and Killer Instinct on the SNES/N64 consoles, but they still make some enjoyable experiences that I judge on their individual merits.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Well they hit their peak with the Donkey Kong Country trilogy they really haven't made anything else really good ever since so that been over 20 years ago.

curl-6 said:

They've been rubbish since 2002, but they were one of the best developers in the industry from 1994-2001.

Unfortunately a lot of key talent left the building at the end of the N64 era, and they quickly became a shell of their former selves. Microsoft's management only seemed to make matters worse.

Thankfully, a lot of their alumni have reunited under the banner of Playtonic, and Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair was a game that manages to live up to the pedigree of their former glory.

Pretty much.. they hit their peak during the SNES years but later squandered. It's why Nintendo let them go. Most of the talent moved on years ago even before the acquisition and now its just Rare in name only.

Its reminds me a bit like Bioware as it is now. Like a totally different dev as most of the staff and teams that made ME and DA are long gone.

Around the Network

They just won a BAFTA this year for SoT, and even if it's not your cup of tea it's an insanely popular and loved game. They have 3 teams, one is dedicated to supporting their most successful game ever. Everwild could be good. As someone that has played Rare Replay fairly recently, let me say that most of their 90s games do not hold up, some of the worst controls in gaming. Now with MS's new leadership I have the most faith in Rare, especially riding high off the success of SoT.

Indeed they are.

Yea it's very Rare for them to make games anymore

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Well I mean, most RARE devs from their peak have not been there for a long time So in a sense, they are RARE in name only anyway.

Having said that, Sea of Thieves had a rough start. But they turned the game around big time and I have nothing short of a great time when I play. RARE may not be RARE anymore, but they can produce something good none the less if given the chance.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

They have sucked ever since MS got ahold of them.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!