By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Per request : why you can trash on MS studios because they dont make social statements

Cerebralbore101 said:

Gotta love the people trying to reframe SoT as a good game. It launched with weak reviews, and is now infested with microtransactions. But let's ignore those facts, and try to say that popular = good. Nevermind that it's basically free on Gamepass, which makes it easy for it to maintain players.

How about we wait until Everwind is actually out, with good reviews, before we try to proclaim that Rare is good again?

Okay? Do you ignore the recent reviews after year 1? It has microtransactions because it constantly has free updates, nevermind you can actually earn ancient coin in game and it's all cosmetic base. Has been selling like crazy and has a good playerbase on steam. Just because a game is "free" (which people seem to switch up depending of the narrative they wanna push on Gamepass) doesn't mean people will like or continue playing said game. Bleeding Edge (another MS game) is a good example of this. 

No one is saying Everwild is good, no one has played it. How about judging each game by their own merits instead of trying to paint a whole studio as being trash? (that goes for other people in this thread) But for me and millions of other people, SoT is a great sign for for the future of Rare.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:

Sea of Thieves is the most successful game Rare has ever released, and continues to get excellent support.
Game development is WAY longer than it was before. Any developer from the 90s that is still around today used to release more games than they do now.
I would rather see Rare work on a unique and original games like Everwild, than try to chase their former glory of the 90s.
It's not like we haven't see classic Rare titles come back. There was Killer Instinct 2013, Battletoads 2019, and a new Perfect Dark is in development. I'm sure more classic games will make a return.

This is pretty much how I view Rare or any developer.  Do what you want and not worry about trying to please gamers who believe you should do the same thing over and over until you throw up.  They may succeed or fail or the games can come out and be average but at least they are doing what they want and taking the risk.  I believe the Rare dev heads stated they do not want to do their old games and I understand 100% how they feel.  Leave that up to other studios to remaster or remake unless there is something they really want to accomplish by going down that route and instead try their hand at what they feel they want to do.  

People say that the Kinect games they made were shovelware but actually they were the best Kinect games to come out for the device and Rare as a company wanted to make those games.  I was never a big Rare fan but even so, I would rather they continue to believe in themselves and make what they want then cater to gamers who believe they should remake past games.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Gotta love the people trying to reframe SoT as a good game. It launched with weak reviews, and is now infested with microtransactions. But let's ignore those facts, and try to say that popular = good. Nevermind that it's basically free on Gamepass, which makes it easy for it to maintain players.

How about we wait until Everwind is actually out, with good reviews, before we try to proclaim that Rare is good again?

That's a very shallow way at judging a game.

SoTs was critised for its lack of content and bugs at launch. These areas have all been addressed. Its scores at launch dont represent the current game.

If the game isnt good, why does it continue to grow in popularity? These gamers are not forced to play the game, maybe actual humans enjoy the game, making it..... Good.

Also, since when does MTC make a game bad? Considering the game has been giving free content since launch and is free to play if subbed to GP. No loot boxes or gambling mechanics and no Pay-to-Win system. What exactly is your point?

I am curious to know how much actual experience you have personally had with SoTs to build this opinion of yours.

Cerebralbore101 said:

SO by your definition, reviews are the only barometer if a game is good or not.  Just wondering but if millions of people are playing and enjoying a game no matter the start does that still mean the game is bad.  From what I remember about SOT start is that it did not have a lot of content more than the game actually being bad.  It would appear that Rare fixed the content part which would be the reason the game has a lot of players who continue to play it.  Who cares if a game is "Free" on gamepass because that does not mean people would continue to play a game if they do not like it. 

Azzanation said:
Leynos said:

With MS track record the last decade it's more likely to either be mediocre or canceled with very few exceptions. Maybe they finally get something out that is good for the first time in 20 years from Rare but SoT had a lot promise then turned into another GaaS game with nothing to do with a "roadmap". So eh.

Being good is subjective. SoT is Rares most successful game weather you like it or not doesnt change that fact that many others like it.

The point you are missing is that Rare arent afraid to tackle new genres for the brand. Weather its what you want or not, you cannot please everyone.

EverWild looks set to tackle another.

Also not sure what MS track record has to do with this. Cancelling? How many games has MS canceled outside of ScaleBound which  wasn't MSs fault? Mediocre? MS arent making EverWild, Rare is. 

Phantom Dust Remake. MS then killed the studio.

Fable Legends. Then killed the studio.

Scalebound which almost put PG out of business if not for Nier.

The funny thing is those 2 along with Scalebound and Crackdown 3 were announced at E3 2014. The only one to release was Crackdown 3 after multiple delays and change of developers and ended up being one of the worst games of 2019. MS themselves knew they releasing dud after dud during the 8th gen. Then their big-name hitters like Halo got out-sold by Splatoon for a while. Gears were no longer doing the sales it used to. So they stopped reporting sales numbers. The whole reason for buying every studio they can. SoT is GaaS full of MTX. Popularity is not the same as good. McDonald's is trash but people slurp that shit down. Transformers films were trash but they kept pumping them out. Again Everwild is not out yet so it's useless to praise it yet. Or should we go back to Anthem how it was praised before release or Cyberpunk 2077. For all we know Everwild while it may end up good. It could turn into something totally different. Remember  Lily Bergamo turned into Let it Die. Remember all those promised Halo 5 made and none of the story beats in those trailers ended up in the game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Azzanation said:

Being good is subjective. SoT is Rares most successful game weather you like it or not doesnt change that fact that many others like it.

The point you are missing is that Rare arent afraid to tackle new genres for the brand. Weather its what you want or not, you cannot please everyone.

EverWild looks set to tackle another.

Also not sure what MS track record has to do with this. Cancelling? How many games has MS canceled outside of ScaleBound which  wasn't MSs fault? Mediocre? MS arent making EverWild, Rare is. 

The funny thing is those 2 along with Scalebound and Crackdown 3 were announced at E3 2014. The only one to release was Crackdown 3 after multiple delays and change of developers and ended up being one of the worst games of 2019. MS themselves knew they releasing dud after dud during the 8th gen. Then their big-name hitters like Halo got out-sold by Splatoon for a while. Gears were no longer doing the sales it used to. So they stopped reporting sales numbers. The whole reason for buying every studio they can. SoT is GaaS full of MTX. Popularity is not the same as good. McDonald's is trash but people slurp that shit down. Transformers films were trash but they kept pumping them out. Again Everwild is not out yet so it's useless to praise it yet. Or should we go back to Anthem how it was praised before release or Cyberpunk 2077. For all we know Everwild while it may end up good. It could turn into something totally different. Remember  Lily Bergamo turned into Let it Die. Remember all those promised Halo 5 made and none of the story beats in those trailers ended up in the game.

I don’t really follow some of your points. MS doesn’t own the phantom dust studio , they closed themselves. Scale bound and phantom dust weren’t hitting milestones, things get canceled in this industry all the time. Crackdown 3 worst game of 2019? It was painfully average, you don’t need to exaggerate. 

I don’t think anyone is going to deny MS took a massive shit last gen, Phil took over and we see a clear change already. They literally had 4 studios at one point, and they’re trying to supply their subscription service with content, has nothing to do with Halo or Gears sales wise. 

Are people really this close minded about games with MTX? I don’t like it either but just because a game has it doesn’t make it an automatic bad game. Didnt a naughty dog game or two have it? Yet they won awards and is well liked. The point about it being popular is, you can see user reviews and ratings. It’s a beloved game, people keep pushing that it’s trash likely barely played or never played it at all. 

All this being said, I hope MS buys Sega.

VersusEvil said:

Kirby's putting professional fishermen to shame.

atleast i dont get banned for calling a dev trash :)

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
VersusEvil said:

Kirby's putting professional fishermen to shame.

I hope it’s not too late

ice said:
kirby007 said:

I hope it’s not too late

beat me to it, lol

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

ice said:
Leynos said:

I don’t really follow some of your points. MS doesn’t own the phantom dust studio , they closed themselves. Scale bound and phantom dust weren’t hitting milestones, things get canceled in this industry all the time. Crackdown 3 worst game of 2019? It was painfully average, you don’t need to exaggerate. 

I don’t think anyone is going to deny MS took a massive shit last gen, Phil took over and we see a clear change already. They literally had 4 studios at one point, and they’re trying to supply their subscription service with content, has nothing to do with Halo or Gears sales wise. 

Are people really this close minded about games with MTX? I don’t like it either but just because a game has it doesn’t make it an automatic bad game. Didnt a naughty dog game or two have it? Yet they won awards and is well liked. The point about it being popular is, you can see user reviews and ratings. It’s a beloved game, people keep pushing that it’s trash likely barely played or never played it at all. 

All this being said, I hope MS buys Sega.

MTX is predatory garbage. They won't buy SEGA. It ain happening but nice try trying to vindictive.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!