By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Per request : why you can trash on MS studios because they dont make social statements

Azzanation said:
Leynos said:

They have sucked ever since MS got ahold of them.

Actually id argue that their quality dropped off with the GameCube or DK64.

Rare made better games after those releases however its never always consistent. Some good, some mediocre.

One thing i like about Rare now is their  ambitions and new ideas. They have been trying something new all the time which is awesome. EverWild is another great example of it. 

Rare are taking more risks now than they ever had before.

EverWild  is not out yet

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Chris Hu said:

Well they hit their peak with the Donkey Kong Country trilogy they really haven't made anything else really good ever since so that been over 20 years ago.

I guess it's all a matter of taste. I would take SoT over Donkey Kong any day of the week and without even giving it a second thought, and I'm really glad Rare moved away from character-jumping games. If what you're looking for is another character-jumping game there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of other options in the market. Rare can do its own thing.

The genre is called platformer.

Dallinor said:
hinch said:

Pretty much.. they hit their peak during the SNES years but later squandered. It's why Nintendo let them go. Most of the talent moved on years ago even before the acquisition and now its just Rare in name only.

Its reminds me a bit like Bioware as it is now. Like a totally different dev as most of the staff and teams that made ME and DA are long gone.

According to Ed Fries: Activizion, Microsoft and Nintendo were all involved in a bidding war for Rare. Source.

This is despite the fact that Nintendo would have had an easier time buying out their remaining stake, as they owned 49% of the company. Might explain why the cost was so exorbitant. MS spent way over market value- $375 million in 2002.

Like I said if they were that interested in buying them out they would have done it long ago. The fact that they owned a majority share and let MS get away with such a low bid showed they didn't care enough to keep them.

Leynos said:
Azzanation said:

Rare made better games after those releases however its never always consistent. Some good, some mediocre.

One thing i like about Rare now is their  ambitions and new ideas. They have been trying something new all the time which is awesome. EverWild is another great example of it. 

Rare are taking more risks now than they ever had before.

EverWild  is not out yet

You saying that EverWild doesn't look like a new creative and original idea?

Azzanation said:
Leynos said:

EverWild  is not out yet

With MS track record the last decade it's more likely to either be mediocre or canceled with very few exceptions. Maybe they finally get something out that is good for the first time in 20 years from Rare but SoT had a lot promise then turned into another GaaS game with nothing to do with a "roadmap". So eh.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

They definitely a shell of what they were and partially because Nintendo let them go too.

They should have bought them and just populated the studio with their own new talent when most of the original talent left. The franchises alone would have assured less droughts on Nintendo systems.

Then again, Retro Studios feels like it is being under utilised by Nintendo and shaping up to be the next Rare that did not end well for them.

Azzanation said:
Leynos said:

They have sucked ever since MS got ahold of them.

I'd say the tipping point came with the arrival of the 6th gen; the last good game they ever made was Conker's Bad Fur Day in 2001. After that there was just none of the ingenuity, passion, or soul that made their SNES/N64 games great. 

Leynos said:
Azzanation said:

With MS track record the last decade it's more likely to either be mediocre or canceled with very few exceptions. Maybe they finally get something out that is good for the first time in 20 years from Rare but SoT had a lot promise then turned into another GaaS game with nothing to do with a "roadmap". So eh.

Being good is subjective. SoT is Rares most successful game weather you like it or not doesnt change that fact that many others like it.

The point you are missing is that Rare arent afraid to tackle new genres for the brand. Weather its what you want or not, you cannot please everyone.

EverWild looks set to tackle another.

Also not sure what MS track record has to do with this. Cancelling? How many games has MS canceled outside of ScaleBound which  wasn't MSs fault? Mediocre? MS arent making EverWild, Rare is. 

Gotta love the people trying to reframe SoT as a good game. It launched with weak reviews, and is now infested with microtransactions. But let's ignore those facts, and try to say that popular = good. Nevermind that it's basically free on Gamepass, which makes it easy for it to maintain players.

How about we wait until Everwind is actually out, with good reviews, before we try to proclaim that Rare is good again?

Next thing you know people are going to try to claim that Fallout 76 is good.