By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I prefer...

3DS 77 77.78%

Vita 22 22.22%

Total:99
Jpcc86 said:

The Vita has some good games, but the 3Ds library is fantastic, so I dont really see much of a competition.
As much as people want to praise the Vita's hardware; software is where its at.

Yea I was going to say. What are you going to do with that hardware? Put a leash around it and take it for a walk? 

Without jailbreaking a Vita, it's a pretty useless device. With jailbreaking a Vita, you might as well own a Switch, especially an original Switch model that can be jailbroke. 

I say this despite having wanted a Vita before and thinking it looks like a pretty neat device, by the way. I just don't see a point in retroactively loving it when it's place in the market is equally obscured in retrospect. 3DS at least has some games that you can't play anywhere else, and are good or great titles. 

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
curl-6 said:

Xenoblade isn't a technically complicated game, and the studio has experience and proven competence.

The info on the Wikipedia articles is linked to offsite sources. Do you have any source at all for your claim it's 2009 architecture?

No offense man but you're just in denial at this point.

God of Wars vita run worse than ps2 ver, so vita was weaker than ps2?

Bold: https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-powerful-is-the-vita-really.58893/page-2

Here is 3ds vs ps2 hardware:

https://versus.com/en/nintendo-3ds-vs-sony-playstation-2

I may be wrong, but I think this is the case for every PS2 remaster on Vita that I can think of. They're not based on the original PS2 versions, They're based on the PS3 Remasters.

See Jak and Dexter, MGS HD Collection, FFX HD Remaster, GoW Collection, Ratchet and Clank HD Trilogy, The Sly Collection... All of these have PS3 versions as well. And that's why some of these ports run worse on Vita than their original PS2 versions, they're not ports of the original PS2 game upscaled for Vita, they're ports of the PS3 versions... downgraded for the Vita.

Leynos said:

Dude, you can hardly write a sentence let alone make an argument about technical details about hardware. You clearly have no clue what you are even talking about. At this point, you just want to be right even tho you are not and just don't get it. So you either really fail simple understanding or you are purposefully digging a hole until you try and force someone to agree with you. This is not the hill to die on.

Or you just ignored what i said, i mainly compared their own graphic.

Pemalite said:
Leynos said:

".I said if 3ds/new 3ds is more stronger 2-3 times than they are now, their's graphic can blow the Wii out of water."

This makes no sense. I think I know what you're trying to say. No. 3DS is weaker than Wii. A mobile chip from 2005 is not stronger than a 2006 console.

To be fair the Wii was built on 2001 hardware.
But you are absolutely right that the Wii holds the technical edge, but not as much as people might think.

The 3DS actually had better shader capabilities than the Wii, but the Wii could push more Polygons.

The New 3DS XL however, if it was 2-3x more powerful, it would definitely be technically better than the Wii in every regard I imagine.

Exactly, if 3ds was 2-3x more powerful, it would definitely have way better graphic than the GC.

And if New 3ds was 2-3x more powerful, it would definitely have way better graphic than the Wii.

But, clearly he didn't even understand what i meant.

curl-6 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold: https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-powerful-is-the-vita-really.58893/page-2

Vita is actually not as capable as PS2 in some specific areas. But there are examples of PS2 ports that are superior on Vita. Every Wii port to 3DS though is worse, because the hardware is simply less capable.

And your source doesn't demonstrate your point as (a) nobody said 3DS was weaker than the PS2 and (b) the comparison you linked only compared memory and CPU clocks which proves nothing; PS4 is lower clocked than the Xbox 360 for example but it's much more powerful hardware overall.

You keep going off on tangents that aren't even what's under discussion and digging yourself deeper, you need to just let this one go man.

It mentioned this:

Why is Nintendo 3DS better than Sony PlayStation 2?

1.82x faster CPU speed:

2 x 0.268GHzvs1 x 0.295GHz

93.75MB more RAM memory:

0.13GBvs0.03125GB

And here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications

https://gbatemp.net/threads/question-nintendo-3ds-cpu-flops.564659/

PS2: 6.2 GFLOPS
    3ds: 6.4 GFLOPS

3ds is better than ps2 in almost everyway except resolution.

And all of ps2 games for vita, they are actually ps3 ports, just like RedKingXIII said.

RedKingXIII said:
    HoangNhatAnh said:

I may be wrong, but I think this is the case for every PS2 remaster on Vita that I can think of. They're not based on the original PS2 versions, They're based on the PS3 Remasters.

See Jak and Dexter, MGS HD Collection, FFX HD Remaster, GoW Collection, Ratchet and Clank HD Trilogy, The Sly Collection... All of these have PS3 versions as well. And that's why some of these ports run worse on Vita than their original PS2 versions, they're not ports of the original PS2 game upscaled for Vita, they're ports of the PS3 versions... downgraded for the Vita.

Correct, this is why.

HoangNhatAnh said:
    curl-6 said:

Vita is actually not as capable as PS2 in some specific areas. But there are examples of PS2 ports that are superior on Vita. Every Wii port to 3DS though is worse, because the hardware is simply less capable.

And your source doesn't demonstrate your point as (a) nobody said 3DS was weaker than the PS2 and (b) the comparison you linked only compared memory and CPU clocks which proves nothing; PS4 is lower clocked than the Xbox 360 for example but it's much more powerful hardware overall.

You keep going off on tangents that aren't even what's under discussion and digging yourself deeper, you need to just let this one go man.

It mentioned this:

1.82x faster CPU speed:

93.75MB more RAM memory:

0.13GBvs0.03125GB

And here:

And all of ps2 games for vita, they are actually ps3 ports, just like RedKingXIII said.

Nobody claimed 3DS was less capable than PS2 though.

Not that CPU clockspeed proves that either way as once again, Xbox 360 has a higher CPU clockspeed than the PS4.

And your second link is a question asked on a forum, not an answer. And an answer would be irrelevant anyway because, again, you're arguing a point nobody made.

Look, I can see you're looking for way to avoid backing down by changing the argument, why don't we just move back to the actual thread topic? What's your opinion on 3DS vs Vita?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 April 2021

HoangNhatAnh said:
      curl-6 said:

It mentioned this:

1.82x faster CPU speed:

93.75MB more RAM memory:

0.13GBvs0.03125GB

And here:

The CPU comparison is a bit odd.

The 3DS has a dual-core 266Mhz ARM 11 processor... Which you have listed. However... One ENTIRE CPU core is dedicated to the OS/Background tasks so only a single 266Mhz core is used for gaming.

The Playstation 2's processor however is 295Mhz MIPS processor, but is aided by a separate Floating Point Processor and Two Vector Processors which definitely changes things up. Suddenly it's no longer comparing a dual core 266mhz CPU against a single core 295Mhz CPU.

Where things get a little muddied is the 3DS memory of the equation... 32MB vs 128MB is a no brainer, not only does the 3DS have multiples more DRAM, but it also is backed up by carts or MicroSD which can do 60-80MB/s sustained with low access times compared to the PS2's DVD drive of 5.28MB/s.
        That means the 3DS has oodles more texturing capabilities thanks to Streaming. (Streaming didn't just happen because SSD's happened.)

Plus the 3DS has super shading capabilities, I mean... The Gamecube could beat the PS2 on that front thanks to TEV, the Wii is built upon that foundation and the 3DS shader capabilities are a step up over even the Wii.

As for GFLOPS, that doesn't tell us anything about performance, it's theoretical, not real world and should never be used.

But yes, the 3DS is better than the PS2... But no one has said the contrary anyway making this argument redundant.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Finally Marcus has come back to vgchartz for a while at least. Sue my old friends that have done a lot of work on the site to keep it going well done, but I don't much like the interface, and CGI is still my hero, and trollstoppable I'm supposing is still a PlayStation troll god.

All that in the price of tea in China hasn't gone up.

3DS was like wildfire, I'm not exactly sure lived up to the DS even though it's like Nintendo tried to make it one entire brand, I do think it caught on and that was a lot to like about it.

PlayStation Vita was pretty much the Underdog Story you knew wouldn't toppled the king. The official PlayStation Vita thread showed you everything you need to know about the PlayStation Vita, what's unfortunate is it didn't get market-wise the sales a console like itself deserved.

I'm not exactly sure the two consoles are comparable simply because of their approach to the market. I just don't think one could be better than the other, and I come from a Time where the war raged on in the 7th gen, so in closing I don't think you could say one is better than the other because they had two different approaches.

curl-6 said:
        HoangNhatAnh said:

It mentioned this:

1.82x faster CPU speed:

93.75MB more RAM memory:

0.13GBvs0.03125GB

And here:

Nobody claimed 3DS was less capable than PS2 though.

Not that CPU clockspeed proves that either way as once again, Xbox 360 has a higher CPU clockspeed than the PS4.

And your second link is a question asked on a forum, not an answer. And an answer would be irrelevant anyway because, again, you're arguing a point nobody made.

Look, I can see you're looking for way to avoid backing down by changing the argument, why don't we just move back to the actual thread topic? What's your opinion on 3DS vs Vita?

The answer was from the author of the article. It used all the numbers which showed there.

Bold:

Hardware power: vita, but this video proved 1 thing: if vita is ps 2,5 then 3ds is ps 2,2, not too far.

https://youtu.be/uGx_cscKUGE

Hardware design: right analog >  c stick but r2/l2 buttons > back touchpad. Higher resolution (many vita games are sub native res) vs 3D without glass function (worse screen).

Software: vita has more visual novel, fps, indie, 3ds has everything else. RPG: the quantity is very close, but many vita games are ports, remasters, remakes or multi-plats, while 3ds ones are unique and mostly exclusives.

For a portable fans, both. But for a portable/console owner, 3ds + ps4 are better choice since ps4 has many vita games too.

Pemalite said:
          HoangNhatAnh said:

It mentioned this:

1.82x faster CPU speed:

93.75MB more RAM memory:

0.13GBvs0.03125GB

And here:

The CPU comparison is a bit odd.

The 3DS has a dual-core 266Mhz ARM 11 processor... Which you have listed. However... One ENTIRE CPU core is dedicated to the OS/Background tasks so only a single 266Mhz core is used for gaming.

The Playstation 2's processor however is 295Mhz MIPS processor, but is aided by a separate Floating Point Processor and Two Vector Processors which definitely changes things up. Suddenly it's no longer comparing a dual core 266mhz CPU against a single core 295Mhz CPU.

Where things get a little muddied is the 3DS memory of the equation... 32MB vs 128MB is a no brainer, not only does the 3DS have multiples more DRAM, but it also is backed up by carts or MicroSD which can do 60-80MB/s sustained with low access times compared to the PS2's DVD drive of 5.28MB/s.
            That means the 3DS has oodles more texturing capabilities thanks to Streaming. (Streaming didn't just happen because SSD's happened.)

Plus the 3DS has super shading capabilities, I mean... The Gamecube could beat the PS2 on that front thanks to TEV, the Wii is built upon that foundation and the 3DS shader capabilities are a step up over even the Wii.

As for GFLOPS, that doesn't tell us anything about performance, it's theoretical, not real world and should never be used.

But yes, the 3DS is better than the PS2... But no one has said the contrary anyway making this argument redundant.

Bold: yes, but not sure if everyone here think 3ds overall is stronger than ps2.

3DS because it had a cool feature that made it "different". Vita was just another handheld that was like a console generation or two behind consoles. Vita is one of only two major pieces of gaming hardware that I haven't owned (the other being PS3), because there just wasn't much appeal there.

I never owned a Vita, and while I did own a 3DS, it didn't appeal to me.

The Vita seems like much better hardware, not just in terms of graphics, but it addresses most of my main peeves with the 3DS; how uncomfortable it was to hold, no proper second analogue stick, and the low quality screen.

That said, I really can't think of any games on the Vita that interest me, while on the 3DS I can at least say I enjoyed Monster Hunter 4, RE Revelations, and Mario 3D Land, even if I'd much rather have played them on a home console.

So I guess my vote has to go to 3DS on the basis of software.

Did 3DS have any Macross games?

I LOVE Delta on Vita.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!