By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any Tips for Monster Hunter beginners?

No tips. Just keep playing. Thats the best tip I can give you.
A lot of people find the series to be unfriendly to newcomers but tbh I never had that experience, just keep experimenting and trying everything the game offers as it becomes accesible to you or you simply become curious about it. Very quickly you are gonna learn how customization of every element works.

Maybe the one tip I'd say is do try the combat tutorials for weapons and use the one you like the best and feel the most comfortable using. When it comes to combat I'll honestly wouldnt worry about "which weapon does what better" yet - let experience teach you that, or research the info later, when it becomes relevant to you, since as of now you are being bombarded with a lot of info to focus on specifics. Learn the generals first. MHRise is in my personal experience the easiest MH so far, so getting comfortable with weapons, upgrades and combat gameplay should be your priority. Just keep playing. Dont give up.

Around the Network

Also, as you progress through the quests tiers (e.g. 3 star, 4 star) a good idea is to make a new set of armor each tier as the higher the tier of the monster, the higher its armor's base defense, and your 3 star monster armor will probably be a bit inadequate once you start taking on 5 star monsters. You can also upgrade your armor using armor spheres which you mostly receive as quest rewards.

Building multiple sets per tier is a good idea too, as each armor has certain weaknesses and strengths, and you don't want to be taking armor that's weak to fire against a Rathalos for example. You'll also just get more combat practise this way.

Your weapons will similarly start to get a bit ineffective if you don't take the time to upgrade them.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 April 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I could never get into Monster Hunter. I really liked God Eater 3. It was a much more streamlined game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Subbing for later. There are some good tips here. I know I'm going to give MH another shot sometime soon. I tried a demo on the Wii and couldn't get into it, but now that I realize each weapon is different I realize that I'll probably like this game once I find a weapon I like.

Also another one, and this is crucial; if you find yourself struggling, try changing your weapon. A monster that's a nightmare with the dual blades might be a breeeze with the lance, and vice versa. Rather than sticking to one weapon, it's best to get good at several so you can change your approach if your usual strategy isn't working.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Subbing for later. There are some good tips here. I know I'm going to give MH another shot sometime soon. I tried a demo on the Wii and couldn't get into it, but now that I realize each weapon is different I realize that I'll probably like this game once I find a weapon I like.

Monster Hunter has come a long way since the Wii; it's a lot less inscrutable now.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Is it wise to go to expedition quests right after you go through the first tutorials? I did the first two training missions with the eccentric master and then went to an expedition quest, the big monster available there was a bear-like beast whose name I don't remember and the battle took quite a bit, probably around 10 minutes. Is that an acceptable time or am I missing something? Tried to kill it first with a lance but it turned out to be a bad idea, the monster is fast and the attacks take forever to land (though it deals higher damage), tried next with a sword and shield kit and things went much better, thought it was still a long ordeal.

I just got around the game now that I'm in a holiday.

Wish I saw this thread earlier lol

The biggest tip I have is to NOT be afraid to ask for help or do online hunts.  The best way to learn is see how other people do it.  You might be surprised at how helpless or meaningless you'll feel next to experienced players, but that's what helps encourage you to get better at it and build better equipment for the job.

I've helped many low rank players get into high rank, a few of which were real life friends.  It takes someone to show you the ropes or to bring you along sometimes for you to really "get" it.  I was once that new guy, and I thought I was doing a pretty good job, but then I finally went online and watched everyone else wallop the monster while I got knocked around, and it was in that moment the challenge and addiction began lol

It can be humbling at first when you have to somewhat stay back and let the others beat on it so that you don't faint and fail the quest for everyone, but we recognize when that's happening and have nothing against it.  Everyone was new at one point

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Metallox said:

Is it wise to go to expedition quests right after you go through the first tutorials? I did the first two training missions with the eccentric master and then went to an expedition quest, the big monster available there was a bear-like beast whose name I don't remember and the battle took quite a bit, probably around 10 minutes. Is that an acceptable time or am I missing something? Tried to kill it first with a lance but it turned out to be a bad idea, the monster is fast and the attacks take forever to land (though it deals higher damage), tried next with a sword and shield kit and things went much better, thought it was still a long ordeal.

I just got around the game now that I'm in a holiday.

10 minutes for your first big monster as a newcomer sounds pretty quick, but maybe it felt like 10 minutes. Anyways, it is wise to play the way you like it. If expeditions are fun for you, than everything is alright. I would recommend to make some quest to slay small monsters first, but if you had fun, then go for it. Some comments: new regions to explore with expeditions are unlocked as you progress through the levels of quests, so unlocking more stars gives you access to more regions. You progress through the star-rating, by doing a certain number of  key quests (they are marked with a symbol as you select quests) and then do an urgent quest to unlock the next level. Also the regions get more different big monsters, I think Shrine ruins start with Arzuros (the bear monster) and Great Izuchi, but unlock other monsters like Aknosom, if you do other quests.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]